Your fleet running reports

scotta

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by scotta »

Rich B wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:24 am How is potentially fucking up your seats to bodge in harnesses better than wearing the seatbelt provided and tested with the car?!!
Because in an impact id rather be wearing a 4 point harness than a lap belt!
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

scotta wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:22 am What seemed like a cheap solution is becoming quite expensive :(
Welcome to cars, and also life.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:31 am
scotta wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:22 am What seemed like a cheap solution is becoming quite expensive :(
Welcome to cars, and also life.
These seem to be the solution.

https://www.elise-shop.com/corbeau-race ... p-847.html

I dont have a spare grand at the moment (were off to Australia in under 2 weeks) however so it will need to wait.
ste

Post by ste »

There are numerous solutions. The Corbeau LE-X you've linked to is possibly the worse one though. I had a set and sold them on before ever using them in anger. They're really flimsy and badly made. The covers are held on with elastic and just slip off constantly. They're also a very small shell, which may be a problem for some. Whereas eg a Tillett is small but manages to fit in all the correct places the LE-X is just small and uncomfortable.

The LE-Pro is a much better seat for a v. similar price. You can get GRP shelled ones or pay more for carbon.

https://www.carnoisseur.com/products/de ... lise-exige

Having tried lots, nothing comes close to Tillets though IMO. The B5 is a good compromise if you're going to also use 3 point belts. The B6 are fucking brilliant though. Light and really, really comfortable. Plus they look ace. I've bought and sold a few of them second hand and you can get bargains. I also bought 2 brand new carbon B6s for the silver car, they were not such a bargain.
ste

Post by ste »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:03 am
ste wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:43 am I'd guess that in a crash the harnesses would crush the seat...
If the harness is at such an angle it could crush the seat, it's wrongly mounted in the first place. I was more concerned that the top of the seat could just snap off, failing its job as a head restraint, and leaving some nice sharp splinters to go into your neck.

Lifted from Schroth website:

schroth.jpg
The harness will exert pressure downwards onto the seatback in a collision. As the occupant moves forward, they'll pivot and move in an arc forwards and down. Especially if the belt is mounted at the lower angle in the range permitted by schroth. I've seen the harness slots ripped downwards on a seat following a large collision. The harness bar on an S1 Elise unfortunately probably sits lower than ideal and could do with being a few cm higher. That's partially why I fitted an A-frame to mine as I liked the harness mount more. You also need to account for the large variation in torso length of the potential occupants. If you're particularly tall I imagine an impact could exert upwards pressure on the top of the grommet initially and shear the top off as you say.

Whatever, it's not the kind of thing I'd second guess and would rather use a seat that's been crash tested and received some kind of certification or approval .
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

ste wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:56 am ...move in an arc forwards and down.
Not by any significant amount if you're strapped in properly. That's the whole point of the harnesses, to stop you moving.

I've seen the harness slots ripped downwards on a seat following a large collision.
Pics please. I'll wager the harness was either wrongly installed, or wrongly used. Or you're just making it up.
ste

Post by ste »

Have you seen footage of a collision with harnesses? They can stretch a not-inconsiderable amount. It's why they'll often cut them after a crash so that people won't be tempted to use them again or sell them on. Schroth (and therefore TAKATA etc too) even make a whole line of them with a double stitched area that is folded back on itself. In a collision the stitching is designed to tear and the harness strap, after exceeding the designed load, extends. This is precisely to make the top of the occupant's torso tilt forward which prevents them submarining into the footwell.

I sadly didn't take a photo of the seat as I didn't realise I'd have to 'prove' I'd seen something 15 years later. :lol:
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

ste wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:15 am I sadly didn't take a photo of the seat as I didn't realise I'd have to 'prove' I'd seen something 15 years later. :lol:
So it's happened once, ever, in the whole history of the internet ? Otherwise you'd have no problem finding some other examples.

I'm going to double down on the "Ste's making shit up again" angle.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

ste wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:15 am Have you seen footage of a collision with harnesses? They can stretch a not-inconsiderable amount.
Actually, that would be quite instructional, so we can see how far down the straps move in a collision. Post up some footage.
ste

Post by ste »

Or you could just be an awkward prick for no reason. How's that working out for you?
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

It seems to have illustrated how full of shit you are, so I'm pretty happy with the outcome thanks.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

STEVE WARS
ste

Post by ste »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:10 pm It seems to have illustrated how full of shit you are, so I'm pretty happy with the outcome thanks.
Because I won't google footage for you to show something that most people would understand to be obvious and because I didn't photograph a seat I saw at a Stockhatch race about 15 years ago?

Point proved. You're being an awkward prick spoiling for a fight, nothing else.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

ste wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:22 pm Because I won't google footage for you to show something that most people would understand to be obvious...
It's not obvious though. To me it's obvious that a harness will hold you in place and the downward motion you're talking about is either negligible or non-existent. That's why I'm asking you to share the footage you said (or implied) you've seen that will make the whole thing much clearer for everyone.

Calling someone a prick and refusing to back up your argument with anything more than "because I say so" is hardly winning.

So one last time - I say you're full of shit. Prove anything you've asserted in this little spat and I'll happily back down and apologise
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

My concern with cutting grommets in the seat wouldn’t be a crash, it would be what would happen in a roll- especially if you’re going on track and go off into gravel and get tipped over,
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Here's a starter. A snapshot of a collision. The shoulder straps are still horizontal.

withouthans.jpg
withouthans.jpg (103.1 KiB) Viewed 4391 times
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Rich B wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:12 pmSTEVE WARS
Yeah. I've finally got fed up with his bullshit and I'm calling him out properly on it.
ste

Post by ste »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:35 pm
ste wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:22 pm Because I won't google footage for you to show something that most people would understand to be obvious...
It's not obvious though. To me it's obvious that a harness will hold you in place and the downward motion you're talking about is either negligible or non-existent. That's why I'm asking you to share the footage you said (or implied) you've seen that will make the whole thing much clearer for everyone.

Calling someone a prick and refusing to back up your argument with anything more than "because I say so" is hardly winning.

So one last time - I say you're full of shit. Prove anything you've asserted in this little spat and I'll happily back down and apologise
If I could be even slightly arsed and bothered at all by your opinion of me I'd look on YouTube for one of the thousands of bits of footage from the cockpit of race cars crashing. But as you're capable of doing that yourself and I need to take my team to the pub you can do it yourself.

I don't believe for one minute you haven't already seen such footage. I imagine you've also already seen some of the numerous videos out there from around the time HANS systems were introduced and are therefore just trolling.

You've added loads of really useful content to help Scott get his harnesses in, so thanks for that.
ste

Post by ste »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:48 pm
Rich B wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:12 pmSTEVE WARS
Yeah. I've finally got fed up with his bullshit and I'm calling him out properly on it.
LOL, have a look in the mirror mate, that's pathetic.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

ste wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:55 pm because I say so
Case closed !