Your fleet running reports

GG.

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by GG. »

Simon

Post by Simon »

GG. wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:17 am Speaking of bushings... turns out mine also needed track rod ends when they had the front subframe down. Plus lower coffin arms on the rear (think I mentioned that before) and has now had full geo done on it so will be interesting to see if it feels tighter.

Ready for pick up tomorrow. Final bill is sub £4k at least... by £11.50 :| I now feel like I want to sell it and buy something newer. Which is guess is pretty illogical now it should have the major issues fixed...
Watch out for speed cameras. You'll be lighter and therefore faster after your wallet has been emptied.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
GG.

Post by GG. »

10-4 on that good buddy.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

[mention]GG.[/mention] Your smidge under £4K bill makes me feel better about my smidge over £2K bill. :D
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Given your bill was a little over half for a car that's a little over double the age, I'd say you did well!
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

The Scirroco has moved, tricky driving it but it was nice to hear the exhaust note.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Tyres & brake hoses arrived. Will fit them tomorrow if I can BA. Tyres were a good deal @ £120 for 4. Hoses are just nice to have.

1AD2E4F5-6287-4552-93FD-8A4AA8C79F31.jpeg
1AD2E4F5-6287-4552-93FD-8A4AA8C79F31.jpeg (104.63 KiB) Viewed 1776 times

3066EBF0-D777-4271-82BE-9533EAEECB00.jpeg
3066EBF0-D777-4271-82BE-9533EAEECB00.jpeg (111.94 KiB) Viewed 1776 times
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I noticed it on the way home from the dealer but I can confirm the Swift is pulling slightly to the left. I did a back to back comparison on the same road with it and the Yeti. Yeti tracked straight. Swift consistently pulled left. You can see the wheel move left slightly when you let go of it. I've mentioned it to the dealer and they've said to book it in, so I fully expect they'll be able to sort whatever it is. Tracking maybe. Or something worn on one side in the suspension? Brakes binding? (they fitted new pads and discs on the front for me). I didn't notice it on my test drive but since then, as well as the brakes they also swapped the tyres front to rear as I wanted to even up the wear. Tyres all at correct pressures and decent Contis with lots of tread. As it took very little effort I made a little video to show them the issue, but I won't embarrass myself by sharing the link here and subjecting you all to my monotone delivery.

They can try and sort out a little rattle as well whilst they have it back, which I think is the glovebox lid as pressing it as I drive along seems to quell the noise. Minor, but I've noticed it now.

I also put some Kurust on a long standing rust patch on the Fabia on the passenger side sill. It went from rust coloured to blackish. I've ordered some rattle cans to give it a spray and will have a go at the bumper as well (primer, colour, lacquer).
Left over crest; tightens.
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

Hunter will sort that in all likelihood. My superb was like a well out front and rear.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I had a trip to the hills of Herefordshire and into Wales in the Jimny yesterday. I think it might finally just be my second car now we have the Yeti too.

Have to say that I wasn’t expecting the Jimny to be much fun sitting on the M50. Actually it’s a hoot everywhere. You expect it to be slow so it’s a surprise to find it isn’t annoyingly so; it gets up to 40-50mph pretty snappily if required. It’s also brilliant at fitting into a multi-storey car park space and being parked in the tiniest gap off the road on a mountain pass. It’s definitely a satisfactory MX5 replacement.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

GG. wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:32 pm Given your bill was a little over half for a car that's a little over double the age, I'd say you did well!
Yeah, but there's more to come for me!
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

A bit of a long story, but I don’t have a Q7 any more. There were various niggles that the dealer was very good about sorting but it needed new rear brake discs and confronted with that - they’re carbon-ceramic and c. £4k EACH for new ones from Audi - the best option for everyone was just to give it back. I assume he’ll move it on through the trade somehow.

I’m not too bothered. The engine was fantastic but apart from that it didn’t feel special like a car originally costing over £100k ought to. The Touareg has a better ride and is only a touch slower, for a fifth of the price. The 7-Series has far more luxury and much nicer switchgear.

So I’m sticking with the Touareg & 7-Series for now. I’m going to keep an eye out for a Mercedes Viano V6 though. It’s the Merc equivalent of the Caravelle I had, higher spec all round, RWD with a 3.0 diesel V6; 220bhp standard but easily remapped to 275bhp. Sounds interesting.
mik

Post by mik »

Pragmatic.

And yeah - simultaneously running a V10 Toerag and this is a good story for the grandkids. 8-)
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I’ve never been a massive fan of the first gen Q7; it lived for a long time so had a pretty old interior by the time it was replaced, and it just looked ungainly compared to the really rather elegant and well-proportioned Touareg. So I think you’ve fallen on your feet there Steve.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

I quite liked the front, the V12 had a slightly different body kit to the cooking models and looked quite good I thought. But you're right about the interior. In particular the integration of the nav screen & controls was awful compared to BMW.

The cheapest option for the rear brakes was from Tarox, they will make rotors to order that replace the carbon bit but retain the original bells. Still about £1k/pair. If it had happened six months down the line I would have just bitten the bullet and done it but when it comes to light two weeks after buying it from a dealer it's very definitely their problem :) Combined with the other niggles I was starting to think it was going to be a "problem car" all round, so the chance to hand it back was perfect.

A Viano & a Cayenne GTS sounds good atm.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

I thought you'd been quiet about it. Still, you got to have a good go of one, nice enough in itself 8-)
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Groovy break.

3DD82204-9B9C-4FCF-9F22-A04CCB2F4FA2.jpeg
3DD82204-9B9C-4FCF-9F22-A04CCB2F4FA2.jpeg (151.54 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

650i through its MOT without a single advisory 😎 it's been quite low cost to own this over the past few years - service items are pretty cheap, tyres last forever, doesn't use any oil.
Its even not bad on fuel, retuning 22/23 round town and low 30's on a run.

I do want to get the exhaust sorted soon so I can hear it a little more. PCW mods is about a 20 min drive from me and gets good reviews, so will probably contact him first.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Was it yours that had the window seal issue?
mik

Post by mik »

Alex88 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:30 am I do want to get the exhaust sorted soon so I can hear it a little more. PCW mods is about a 20 min drive from me and gets good reviews, so will probably contact him first.
Over-enthusiastic silencing of V8’s shall be a crime after the revolution.