Your fleet running reports

JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by JonMad »

Fabia has new brake pads. The pads themselves turned out to be £17.75 + VAT! Extortionate.

In other news, a blue thing has arrived.

First impressions - economical, sufficient torque from low revs, firm but comfy. Very blue. Wife had a spin round the block too and seemed to get on alright - she's only driven our Yeti in the last 6 years so getting her out driving this early on is key to her confidence.
Left over crest; tightens.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Nice, they're a great little package Jon 8-)
Oui, je suis un motard.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Sigh.

[mention]Sundayjumper[/mention] [mention]integrale_evo[/mention] - any idea how to work out if I need a magnetic type wheel bearing on the car, without jacking the thing up and pulling the wheel off at the side of the road?

Apparently there are reluctor ring and magnetic bearing type ABS systems, obviously one requires a magnet, one doesn't. Does it matter if I just wang a magnetic bearing in there?

I think - think - my one would be magnetic regardless (possibly a post 2000 thing although I've only found one source for that), but it'd be just my luck that I'll install the wrong one and have to do the job again....
Beany

Post by Beany »

Er, OK, tyres were a bit low at the rear yesterday so pumped 'em up (OK, they were both sub 10psi - sidewalls doing a lot of heavy lifting it seems).

Scraping noise now gone.

Um....I'm not quite sure how that works :?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Was the handling not rather interesting like that ??
Beany

Post by Beany »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:04 am Was the handling not rather interesting like that ??
I've only been pootling around town and it's been pissing it down most of this week - not been taking the mick - so I didn't notice anything really untoward.

You know, until I inflated the rears again and the car felt like it had it's rear bushings replaced :lol:
GG.

Post by GG. »

Speaking of bushings... turns out mine also needed track rod ends when they had the front subframe down. Plus lower coffin arms on the rear (think I mentioned that before) and has now had full geo done on it so will be interesting to see if it feels tighter.

Ready for pick up tomorrow. Final bill is sub £4k at least... by £11.50 :| I now feel like I want to sell it and buy something newer. Which is guess is pretty illogical now it should have the major issues fixed...
Beany

Post by Beany »

Oof.

I think I'll still get me bro over and get that wheel bearing done so I know it's not an issue.

And also just wang a pry bar around the rear end as there's definitely some squish in there, and I can only think it's either diff housing support bushes, or the rubber discs on the propshaft - if you give it beans in first it'll kangaroo a bit, extremely annoying.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

How was that not practically undirvable Beany?! :lol:

I can tell when mine have dropped 2-3PSI - I don't know if the E46 is the same but I find mine is incredibly sensitive to tyre pressures and will tramline and generally drive horribly if it isn't at the correct pressures.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

JonMad wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:23 pm Fabia has new brake pads. The pads themselves turned out to be £17.75 + VAT! Extortionate.

In other news, a blue thing has arrived.

First impressions - economical, sufficient torque from low revs, firm but comfy. Very blue. Wife had a spin round the block too and seemed to get on alright - she's only driven our Yeti in the last 6 years so getting her out driving this early on is key to her confidence.
Love it Jon. 8-)
Beany

Post by Beany »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:33 am How was that not practically undirvable Beany?! :lol:

I can tell when mine have dropped 2-3PSI - I don't know if the E46 is the same but I find mine is incredibly sensitive to tyre pressures and will tramline and generally drive horribly if it isn't at the correct pressures.
A lot of just generally trundling around sub 30mph, gentle inputs etc. I know what you mean, the Puma would really change character if the tyres were a bit soft.

E46 just doesn't do that as much (I had noticed it was a bit squishy on the way to work yesterday, hence checking - tyres looked barely a little but under inflated, but giving them a squeeze showed they were a lot lower than I thought. :o

I think I should get back into the habit of checking the pressures more or less daily like I did with the Puma....
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

In solidarity with Beany, an interesting sideways moment in the Jag on a roundabout's culprit has turned out to be... the nearside rear at 5psi :shock:

My own fault, corner of the car is always right up against a hedge and the Jag never gets the same attention as the Porker but I realise I ought to be checking them!

Pumped back up last night, no obvious damage to the tyre, still retaining pressure this morning... will keep an eye on it.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Beany wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:54 am Er, OK, tyres were a bit low at the rear yesterday so pumped 'em up (OK, they were both sub 10psi - sidewalls doing a lot of heavy lifting it seems).

Scraping noise now gone.

The scraping noise was your rims bouncing off the tarmac :lol:

I checked my tyre pressures last weekend because I thought my wheels weren't quite correctly aligned; they turned out to be 2psi down all round. Being 20+psi down on one corner must have been pretty nasty to drive.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going mad or something now :lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:38 pm
Beany wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:54 am Er, OK, tyres were a bit low at the rear yesterday so pumped 'em up (OK, they were both sub 10psi - sidewalls doing a lot of heavy lifting it seems).

Scraping noise now gone.

The scraping noise was your rims bouncing off the tarmac :lol:
Just checked, I think Jobson wins.

I'll have a closer look when I can a torch under there, but wide, low profile, neg-cambered rear wheels + low tyres - that would make sense :o

Bet you lot didn't have that on your 'how will Beany fuck this up' Bingo cards! :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’d still get the bearings, maf, clutch and all the bushes changed just to be sure.
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:30 pm I’d still get the bearings, maf, clutch and all the bushes changed just to be sure.
Pfft, MAF doesn't need changing, you fucking moron.

Just polishing 8-)
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Picked up the 928 from Strasse yesterday after it had had the cam belt, tensioners, water pump, full service (oil, filter, air filter, plugs, brake clean, check and recalibrate and a check of everything else), and had the handbrake shoes changed as they were well past it. They also cleaned the auxiliary air valve which has cured the rough running issue.

I've now got a sizeable to do list that I need to sort into stuff I can do at the weekend when I have the time and stuff that's going to be easier to get Strasse to take care of when my wallet recovers from the massive battering it's just received.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

On this weeks episode of “Your Fleet Running Reports”

GG has an expensive Porsche Bill

Delphi has an expensive Porsche Bill

Beany misdiagnoses ...again
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:41 pm On this weeks episode of “Your Fleet Running Reports”

GG has an expensive Porsche Bill

Delphi has an expensive Porsche Bill

Beany misdiagnoses ...again
This is evergreen :)