Your fleet running reports

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Ascender »

16vCento wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:11 pm Disco picked up and home.

Its massive 😂

Like piloting a yacht up the motorway, I nearly killed myself on the first roundabout after getting out of the Mini and into this :lol:

Love thing though, cruises at 70 in silence, suspension soaks up everything, feels very vague, not sure if that's due to worn bushes or the General Grabber tyres fitted all round 🤷‍♂️

Will be great fun in winter if we have one!
Sounds like great fun!

That's exactly what its like hopping from the Boxster in to the Navara.
Cheers,

Mike.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

It's great, wish I'd done it years ago now!

It's a different way of driving, i found it very relaxing, no urge to be first off the lights, or to drive it hard, you just sort of sit and wobble your way about, it's cool 😂

I can't work pictures out on here, always says they're too big to attach 🙄
Screenshot_20200920-175039_WhatsApp.jpg
Screenshot_20200920-175039_WhatsApp.jpg (221.64 KiB) Viewed 1801 times
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Has that worked?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

16vCento wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:51 pm Has that worked?
Yep
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

16vCento wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:50 pm ...i found it very relaxing, no urge to be first off the lights, or to drive it hard, you just sort of sit and wobble your way about, it's cool 😂
Welcome to wafting ! Next stop - caravans.
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I've already got the caravan :lol:
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I forgot :oops:

What were you towing with before ? The Disco will be amazeballs.
mik

Post by mik »

[mention]16vCento[/mention] I am not sure that it an HSE mate - they all came on the 5spoke 19” wheels AFAIK.

Disco is the best tow car evah. Particularly with a Bell remap (takes it to 230bhp and wads more torque - for the Disco3 it is loaded with an OBD tool which allows you to switch between remap and std. the tools come up for sale on the Disco3 forum (which is a great info resource) - you still need to buy the remap for yours from Bell but it saves a chunk.

You will also enjoy the first time you splash through standing water - Disco just barrels through without noticing. 8-)
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I don't think it's a HSE either as it has no info screen, but thats quite a happy accident as my phone fits perfectly in that hole, just need to route a charger up there!

I'll fix its little issues but I don't think I dare map it, 206000 miles Mik!

Its just had all the belts done and its had a recent clutch as well so should be good for a while hopefully.

The boot is massive with the 6th and 7th seats folded down, I reckon I could kip in there!

[mention]Sundayjumper[/mention] i was towing with my S60 T5 before so this should be lots better on fuel and shouldn't scrabble for grip!

Need to do my B+E to tow alone with this due to the weight now, will get it booked soon, but can just take my dad with me if I need it in the meantime.

The tow ball seems pretty stuck in its hole, I'll have to try remove it with a bigger knocking stick next weekend.
mik

Post by mik »

Removable tow bars are well known for getting stuck in, and for the locks seizing up. Which reminded me - that’s something else I have on the shelf. New and unused. Welcome to that too if you want?

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Leave the tow ball in, free rear crash protection.
How about not having a sig at all?
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

mik wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:38 pm Removable tow bars are well known for getting stuck in, and for the locks seizing up. Which reminded me - that’s something else I have on the shelf. New and unused. Welcome to that too if you want?

It appears I don't have the key which is why I can't remove mine 🙄

Looks easy enough to drill out the pin to remove it.

I'll have that lock if you don't mind Mik, cheers 😀

I know if I leave it in and certain other household members drive it, ill end up with an insurance claim 😂
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:22 pm
16vCento wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:50 pm ...i found it very relaxing, no urge to be first off the lights, or to drive it hard, you just sort of sit and wobble your way about, it's cool 😂
Welcome to wafting ! Next stop - caravans.
Big 4x4’s are certainly the way forward for towing, I prefer auto now though since having my l200. It’s also nice having two so different cars.
GG.

Post by GG. »

16vCento wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:50 pm It's great, wish I'd done it years ago now!

It's a different way of driving, i found it very relaxing, no urge to be first off the lights, or to drive it hard, you just sort of sit and wobble your way about, it's cool 😂

Nice purchase. 206k miles is brave! I take it it is a manuel if it had a recent clutch change?

My dad had a manual commercial Disco 3 as a work van when they first came out. Very much agree about the way they drive - I took ours up to Scotland and in 1000 miles I don't think I ever took my right arm off the top of the drivers door and just wafted it along moving my forearm arm up and down to change direction - so much so it felt like I'd sprained my wrist by the time I got back :roll:
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

It will take a bit of getting used to, but its certainly enjoyable.

Once turbo actuator issue is sorted and the compressor is overhauled, I might go for a little play at tong 4x4 center which isn't far away (if its still open) to see what it can do.

Away with work all week so no playing this week!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

16vCento wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:50 pm It's great, wish I'd done it years ago now!

8-)
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

£1150 and the Volvo is quiet and safe. :shock:

The garage put bloody Landsail tyres on though :(
GG.

Post by GG. »

The selling garage did the equivalent on the Smart - one of the front tyres was found to be out of round when they MOT'd it so they replaced it with the cheapest brand they could find (I can't even remember what it is now).

The most irritating thing is that because of the tiny tyres on the smart, the difference between what they put on and the Goodyear energy savers that are factory fitment was something like £20 (which I would gladly have paid if they'd bothered to ask). :(
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

GG. wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:37 am The selling garage did the equivalent on the Smart - one of the front tyres was found to be out of round when they MOT'd it so they replaced it with the cheapest brand they could find (I can't even remember what it is now).

The most irritating thing is that because of the tiny tyres on the smart, the difference between what they put on and the Goodyear energy savers that are factory fitment was something like £20 (which I would gladly have paid if they'd bothered to ask). :(
My wife works near the garage so she dropped it in. We have had work done there plenty of times over the years and i have never skimped on anything so not sure why he didn't call to check. They were invoiced at £42 each, I am sure I could have gotten an Avon or Hankook or similar midrange for £65 a pop so not a huge difference.

I shall leave them on just now as we are barely going anywhere (especially with the new rules in place) and with redundancy looming.

For all I know they will be fine, it is not as if we drive the Volvo hard, but stopping distances etc, especially in the wet, do worry me slightly.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Finally picked up the 928 yesterday (it's been languishing at my mate's unit in Essex since I bought it). Drove it back to Leeds from Essex and it guzzled most of the £80 of BP Ultimate I put in it. I knew it was running rich before I picked it up and it after I stopped at some services for a wee it subsequently started getting a bit hunty and not idling properly. I thing it's probably a vacuum leak somewhere. I'll investigate further when I have more time. I also need to change the nasty gearshift for the stock shifter I have, and the black Clubsport steering wheel for an original one that I also have in the boot.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.