FTAO of JonathanE

Coaster1

FTAO of JonathanE

Post by Coaster1 »

Didn’t realise you have a 450 SEL 6.9. You haven’t mentioned it before, have you?

Pics / details please if you have a moment. Cheers!
JonathanE

Re: FTAO of JonathanE

Post by JonathanE »

I think I mentioned it in the old 'silly purchases when drunk' thread, although I was sober at the time!

It's on a ship at the moment on the way from California - due to arrive in mid-May. I'll post some proper pictures when it arrives; I just have some rubbish eBay photos at the moment (I haven't yet seen it in person). The 'rationale' for buying it is thatIt was not too expensive, is a Euro spec car and has had a bit of money spent on it recently so fingers crossed.

My plan is to get it through an MOT and get it UK registered, do any easy cosmetic work and then see whether I actually like driving it or whether the initial Top Trumps/Ronin-related excitement wears off.

Jonathan
Simon

Post by Simon »

Good darts. Haven't seen it in person. Will be weeks before he sees it in the metal. That's surely the best way to buy cars. 8-)
The artist formerly known as _Who_
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Simon wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:31 am Good darts. Haven't seen it in person. Will be weeks before he sees it in the metal. That's surely the best way to buy cars. 8-)
It would be had he not been sober at the time :lol:
JonathanE

Post by JonathanE »

In my defence, my past 'blind' (not blind drunk) purchases have generally been OK:

Countach, Silhouette, Lagonda de Ville all needed lots of work but I expected that in advance. The costs were recovered when I sold them, and they were wonderful cars to own
Bentley Turbo R - needed quite a lot of work the cost of which may or may not ever be recovered, but it's vastly cheaper than owning a newer one and a great car to drive
Silver Wraith - needs a vast amount of work (ongoing) which won't be reflected in the final value. Won't be ready until later this year so I can't yet comment on how nice it is to drive (or just sit in with a glass of something from the built-in cocktail cabinet)

So overall I'd say at least a 60% success rate. In comparison, my more recent non-remote purchases have been as follows:

BMW M5 Touring (E34) - fantastic car in every respect; no significant problems at all (until it was stolen)
Maserati 4200 - very underrated; cheap(ish) to own and great to drive
BMW 850i - absolute money pit; unexciting even when it did work
Murena - needed constant attention, more or less broke even when I sold it, but it wasn't ever as good to drive as I had hoped

So around a 50% success rate. The more worrying trend, however, is that my more recent purchases one each case have generally been less successful in both 'thrill of driving' and financial terms. Hopefully the 6.9 will reverse this trend!

Jonathan
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

JonathanE wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:30 am Maserati 4200 - very underrated; cheap(ish) to own and great to drive
I’m a big fan of 4200/Gransport; a real alternative to Vantage V8 in the world of stylish GTs.