mik

Post by mik »

Lots of people will undoubtedly get upset about the rear wiper. I urge those people order theirs without it.

I would be more concerned that the whole rear end is fugly. :?

speedingfine

Re: 992

Post by speedingfine »

How big are the wheels now? 28s?
GG.

Post by GG. »

Yep. Already made this comment on teh twitterz. They've properly fucked it.

They've taken the Mk1 cayenne approach of trying to style it with a family look. This time they've grafted the rear of a Panamera onto the back of the 911 as opposed to sticking the front of a 911 onto the body of a shapeless SUV.

997>991 diluted the 911 DNA significantly by raising the beltline across the rear and this has now totally obscured the original design (along with the stupid longitudinal grille).

Oh well. I could probably bring myself to buy a 991.1 GTS and sacrifice the steering feel but 991.2 onwards were always a no because of the turbot engines anyway.

ETA: this is a good example of what I mean re 997 to 991. No comparison in my eyes.

Pretty tragic when the new Porsche I'd most likely buy would be a Panamera GT or a Macan :?
scotta

Post by scotta »

mik wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:35 pm Lots of people will undoubtedly get upset about the rear wiper. I urge those people order theirs without it.

I would be more concerned that the whole rear end is fugly. :?

That’s actually the front - hence the wiper. They are trailing the optional 4 road cannons. Fast lane clearance of Bmw’s is how they are marketing it. They also found having the engine at the front aides cooling.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I like it. You’re all wrong.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

What’s with the weird black shape above the number plate?

Just a bit of disguise? I think it’ll be ok once those bits have been taken off?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

The squared off arches will probably irk me the most, the same with all VAGs atm. That and the badging that'll be all over it's arse.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I don’t understand the hate. It’s still pretty much guaranteed to be a great drive. Why not wait until we see the final, un-camo’d version before judging its aesthetics? 🤷‍♂️
Cheers,

Ian
GG.

Post by GG. »

Because the fundamentals of it are all wrong. Whatever they're doing with camo can't disguise the lack of contouring over the rear arches toward the rear bumper, the grill that is so small now as to be there just because they have to have one, the shrunken rear window, the bonnet and front wing shut lines that don't line up... its just a mess I'm afraid.

ETA oh and the big plastic non-bodycoloured bit at the bottom. I fucking HATE non-body coloured plastic!
Simon

Post by Simon »

What's with the impossible to read number plates too? You're guaranteed to get a tug from the fuzz if you drive around with those...
The artist formerly known as _Who_
GG.

Post by GG. »

scotta wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:01 pm aides cooling.
Where are these aides and how do they cool it? Do you spec them separately or are they included. Do you have to pay them a pension contribution or are they self employed?

So many questions :?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I like it, my favourite 911s have always been the Targas mainly due to having the lights going right across the rear and I love the more central exhaust positioning.
How about not having a sig at all?
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

GG. wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:48 pm Because the fundamentals of it are all wrong. Whatever they're doing with camo can't disguise the lack of contouring over the rear arches toward the rear bumper, the grill that is so small now as to be there just because they have to have one, the shrunken rear window, the bonnet and front wing shut lines that don't line up... its just a mess I'm afraid.

ETA oh and the big plastic non-bodycoloured bit at the bottom. I fucking HATE non-body coloured plastic!
Think the photo makes it looks flatter than it is as other pics look better, the rear window bottom looks lower than the 991 and similar to the 997 pic above. Haven’t seen front pics, so can’t comment on that. There’s extra camo above the rear black but, wait to see if it jars on the un-camo’d version. Do you not like the back of the new Vantage aswell?
Cheers,

Ian
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

I’ll reserve my judgment on the 992.

FWIW I think the 991.2 is beautiful, particularly the 911T.

JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

People will hate the new 911 as soon as they see it. They will then grow to like then love it, and then the next one comes out. And repeat.

Twas ever thus.
Marv

Post by Marv »

JLv3.0 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:26 am People will hate the new 911 as soon as they see it. They will then grow to like then love it, and then the next one comes out. And repeat.

Twas ever thus.
JLIC. Thread closed.
Oui, je suis un motard.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

GG. wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:40 pm Yep. Already made this comment on teh twitterz. They've properly fucked it.

They've taken the Mk1 cayenne approach of trying to style it with a family look. This time they've grafted the rear of a Panamera onto the back of the 911 as opposed to sticking the front of a 911 onto the body of a shapeless SUV.

997>991 diluted the 911 DNA significantly by raising the beltline across the rear and this has now totally obscured the original design (along with the stupid longitudinal grille).

Oh well. I could probably bring myself to buy a 991.1 GTS and sacrifice the steering feel but 991.2 onwards were always a no because of the turbot engines anyway.

ETA: this is a good example of what I mean re 997 to 991. No comparison in my eyes.

Pretty tragic when the new Porsche I'd most likely buy would be a Panamera GT or a Macan :?
Those water-cooled 911s are such an aberration. Put a 993 next to them and see how the purity was lost, the belt line is so much higher and they were just grafting a Boxster rear onto the 911 shape.

Oh sorry, that complaint is 20 years old now!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

997 is still my favourite.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Considering how big the 991 was, wider and only a little shorter than my e class unless this one is physically smaller the appeal is gone now.

I still saw the 997 as a disappointment, noisy inside, engine performance good but nothing special, vastly over-tyred for general driving. No desire at all for one which isn’t how it should be.

Bens 964 though, great shape, upright windscreen, characterful engine, lots of want for that.

I’d choose a Panamera now from the Porsche line-up. The current GT3 May be amazing but I don’t think my talent will let me reveal all the amazing parts of its chassis. Also the engine keeps getting a lot of praise but over speakers it doesn’t sound anything amazing past the Rev limit.

Old man mumble grumble.

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

TBF DAVE! most engines sound a bit rattly when you go past the rev limit.

I’m more of a fan of 911s now than I used to be but most still do nothing for me aesthetically. They’re like the 3 series of sports cars, handsome enough but not very interesting until you get to the special one.

I guess you can take the analogy further by saying that fanboys always complain about new ones even though they are mostly the same as the one before.
An absolute unit