GG.

Re: 992

Post by GG. »

JonMad wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:59 pm That's an exceptional level of analysis for a few seconds of edited video :)
Trying to work out which corner he was going into did prompt a little headscratching though it is given away by the yellow line just beyond the apex and the vid does show him passing under the gantry and the right hander before it so there were enough clues.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

JonMad wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:59 pm That's an exceptional level of analysis for a few seconds of edited video :)
Despite which I think the conclusion is wrong - I suspect that the speed has dropped below the threshold for the spoiler so it's going back to its resting state. Why would it go into Eco mode? :lol: It seems to pop straight up to fully erect when the car accelerates out of the pits.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:35 pm
Despite which I think the conclusion is wrong - I suspect that the speed has dropped below the threshold for the spoiler so it's going back to its resting state. Why would it go into Eco mode? :lol: It seems to pop straight up to fully erect when the car accelerates out of the pits.
I'm not sure their terminology of "eco" mode necessarily applies if it is in one of the sport driving modes - easier to think of it as mode one (extended but not maximum attack), mode two is speed activated so I expect as I said, that tight left hander was slow enough to move it from mode 2 to mode one.

So you have vertical/airbrake coming into the turn due to the braking, mode two as he approach the apex and when his speed dropped further, mode 1. I would be very surprised if it went so quickly to completely stowed (and you can actually see as he accelerates out of the corner that it has stopped retracting at that point).
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

#GG
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

GG. wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:58 pm
Jobbo wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:35 pm Despite which I think the conclusion is wrong - I suspect that the speed has dropped below the threshold for the spoiler so it's going back to its resting state. Why would it go into Eco mode? :lol: It seems to pop straight up to fully erect when the car accelerates out of the pits.
I'm not sure their terminology of "eco" mode necessarily applies if it is in one of the sport driving modes - easier to think of it as mode one (extended but not maximum attack), mode two is speed activated so I expect as I said, that tight left hander was slow enough to move it from mode 2 to mode one.

So you have vertical/airbrake coming into the turn due to the braking, mode two as he approach the apex and when his speed dropped further, mode 1. I would be very surprised if it went so quickly to completely stowed (and you can actually see as he accelerates out of the corner that it has stopped retracting at that point).
It's not vertical coming into the shot on the video, it's horizontal and neither going up nor down. That may be the full height it ever goes to, so the car may always put the spoiler into that mode when it's braking hard for stability ('airbrake'?) but whatever, it's only in the same position it moves into as Harris accelerates out of the pits.

The car goes out of shot before the spoiler has finally finished moving, so it could be going all the way back to fully retracted as it leaves the frame. I don't think the halfway house/eco mode is in view in the video at any point, not just that short section, unless you can point me to it?
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:25 pm
GG. wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:58 pm
Jobbo wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:35 pm Despite which I think the conclusion is wrong - I suspect that the speed has dropped below the threshold for the spoiler so it's going back to its resting state. Why would it go into Eco mode? :lol: It seems to pop straight up to fully erect when the car accelerates out of the pits.

It's not vertical coming into the shot on the video, it's horizontal and neither going up nor down. That may be the full height it ever goes to, so the car may always put the spoiler into that mode when it's braking hard for stability ('airbrake'?) but whatever, it's only in the same position it moves into as Harris accelerates out of the pits.

The car goes out of shot before the spoiler has finally finished moving, so it could be going all the way back to fully retracted as it leaves the frame. I don't think the halfway house/eco mode is in view in the video at any point, not just that short section, unless you can point me to it?
Here's a helpful diagram:

Its in airbrake mode in various shots in that film but you're right, not in the segment we're looking at - its already moved to what they label performance and as he moves round the corner it drops to what they've labelled eco, i.e. up but not exceeding the specified speed to move it up to performance.

Unhelpfully the video changes speed during it dropping from mode 2 to mode 1 but you can still see a clear point where it stops retracting any further (though obviously I can't prove it doesn't stow entirely, other than it isn't stowed at any point in that film other than when he's just coming out the pits).

I expect sport plus mode defaults the spoiler to mode 1 at a minimum.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Airbrake shoukd be a proper FWP :cry:
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It’s all nonsense anyway as the proper models never get the active rear wing.
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Autocar have an article this week with four different 992s in order to assess all the available options (mostly dynamic). They've even shared the road testers' preferred configurator codes:

So I thought it would be fun to see how badly I could mess up the spec. Only stuff that can be displayed on the configurator (I did get an error by trying to gild the lily in some areas): http://www.porsche-code.com/PMTEVDV4

Yum.

ETA: I've changed the wheels on mine which generated a new link.
Last edited by Jobbo on Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It's a playmobil 911 :lol:

ETA my effort http://www.porsche-code.com/PM17AEY5
An absolute unit
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I think Porsche will let you add orange seat centres and blue carpet mats to that spec, but they won't display, sadly.

Your spec is quite nice - not the wheel design I'd choose but generally appealing.
Last edited by Jobbo on Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, I ticked the box for orange stitching. Thought it would go well with the red belts and carbon trim pack.
An absolute unit
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:11 pm So I thought it would be fun to see how badly I could mess up the spec. Only stuff that can be displayed on the configurator (I did get an error by trying to gild the lily in some areas): http://www.porsche-code.com/PMTEVDV4
The Horned Lizard will shoot blood from its eyeballs when threatened. It it were to choose the flight/fight/fuck response to your 992 it would absolutely want to get it on.
GG.

Post by GG. »

I wonder when they'll let you get the full GT3 rear bumper on the normal models... maybe too much of an admission that they stuffed up the design originally - that cleft for the number plate is gradually getting higher and wider with each iteration they release - to my complete non-surprise :lol:

Maybe the standard 992.1 Carrera will become known as the 'Kardashian rear' to the 996's 'fried egg headlights'.

Funniest thing is they've now ended up with something that looks like a 'reverse i8'.