Teh Spotted Thread

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Teh Spotted Thread

Post by Jobbo »

Shame it doesn't have white alloys. Not a fan of those skirts either, though I think all of the last year of QV production before the Anniversary was launched had them.
GG.

Post by GG. »

John wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:04 am
Pete_ wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:28 am

Saw the red one at Henley a couple of weeks ago. What a life 8-)
Also Henley :)

These two were attending the traditional boat show which was taking place over the weekend.
Funnily enough I was in Henley at the weekend by chance for my parents ruby wedding anniversary - saw the boat show and we took a boat out along the river which was fun. I did see a couple of amphicars (not the old ones below but the more recent attempts) and also an amphibious personnel carrier which was cool.

I also captured this flyover with some videography worthy of a "Beany" award. The squared off wingtips confused me and made me think it wasn't a spitfire but after some research I see that they did produced some "clipped wing" versions to improve roll performance - can anyone confirm what it was?

There were also some very unstable looking WW1 triplanes which flew uncomfortably overhead as we were eating lunch :?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Hard to tell from the potato footage but I’d guess Hurricane if it had more squared off wings.

On the Countach, now that I’m a few years older and hence a few years wiser ;) my pick of the bunch is the original vanilla one before they started adding bits to it.
However if one does go for a later one with the body kit then the rear wing is still essential.
How about not having a sig at all?
GG.

Post by GG. »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:32 pm Hard to tell from the potato footage but I’d guess Hurricane if it had more squared off wings.
Here's a still where you can set the silhouette better.

As you'll see it doesn't have squared off wingtips - rather completely flat so it has to be a clipped wing variant. I can't see that they made clipped wing Hurricanes so I'm still thinking it was more likely this:

ETA - after more digging it also seems that these later revisions of the Spitfire ran with Griffon rather than Merlin engines which would explain why it also didn't sound quite "right".
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

GG. wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:46 pm
Mito Man wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:32 pm Hard to tell from the potato footage but I’d guess Hurricane if it had more squared off wings.
Here's a still where you can set the silhouette better.

As you'll see it doesn't have squared off wingtips - rather completely flat so it has to be a clipped wing variant. I can't see that they made clipped wing Hurricanes so I'm still thinking it was more likely this:

ETA - after more digging it also seems that these later revisions of the Spitfire ran with Griffon rather than Merlin engines which would explain why it also didn't sound quite "right".
Was that the one with the upgraded IMS bearings 🤔
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The clipped wing version looks so wrong.
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

Griffon’s sound epic. 8-)
GG.

Post by GG. »

Ah yes - I remember there was a poll on this topic... :lol:
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Definitely a Spit. If it wasn't for the propellor, I'd say it was EP120 http://fighter-collection.com/cft/spitfire-ep120/ which has a Merlin 55 rather than the Griffon. Without seeing the top-side of the plane, or the identifier on the side, it's going to be difficult to identify.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
John

Post by John »

I’m pretty sure it was from the BBMF although they were based at Biggin Hill for the weekend.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Delphi wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:05 pm Definitely a Spit. If it wasn't for the propellor, I'd say it was EP120 http://fighter-collection.com/cft/spitfire-ep120/ which has a Merlin 55 rather than the Griffon. Without seeing the top-side of the plane, or the identifier on the side, it's going to be difficult to identify.
Amazing world we live where we have so much information to hand so readily -

As you say it was a spit and he was only 3 minutes off schedule! Could be MK356 - details below:

https://www.memorialflightclub.com/blog ... -years-old

Its says on the BBMF website that it is in desert camo trim but they have a picture of it in clipped wing form flying in formation with their lancaster:

ETA: Found it - it was TE 311 https://www.military-airshows.co.uk/teama.htm
GG.

Post by GG. »

mik wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:15 pm
Turns out it was a Merlin 266 - a 66 iteration built under licence by Packard and optimised for low altitude flying - not sure if those mods altered the sound.
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

GG. wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:08 pm
mik wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:15 pm
Turns out it was a Merlin 266 - a 66 iteration built under licence by Packard and optimised for low altitude flying - not sure if those mods altered the sound.
The Packard origins wouldn't alter the sound, but the pilot could expect a power assisted joy-stick and an electric canopy. ;)
Beany

Post by Beany »

Saw a(n old) Puma today in town and immediately hankered after one again.

Have refused to look at any on auto trader because I expect they're all either clean+expensive or cheap sheds fit for the scrapheap.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Gloucestershire Police have a new toy. They've got a black Kia Stinger with black tints and black wheels. It sounds very nice.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Did you get a ride in it?
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:24 pm Did you get a ride in it?
No, I remembered my trousers this time.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Along the same lines there's been an unmarked purple Cupra Leon Estate going up and own the M4 in South Wales.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

A CR-Z in turquoise/blue; I've only seen white ones up till now.
XE in Doom Blue; if it was metallic it certainly didn't look it.
Two Mach-Es, one black, one red; looked ok to me from the views I got, certainly more cohesive and less contrived imo than the new Tucson.
More heard than seen, a Granturismo in pearlescent white; not loud as such but very musical 8-)
Beany

Post by Beany »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:07 pm Gloucestershire Police have a new toy. They've got a black Kia Stinger with black tints and black wheels. It sounds very nice.
Not a police one but I spotted a Stinger with a couple of bikes on the roof yesterday.

I quite like them.