Teh Spotted Thread

Nathan

Re: Teh Spotted Thread

Post by Nathan »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:10 pm Was sat behind a new Defender yesterday. Christ not only are they vast - they appear bigger than any other JLR product - but they don't half look cheap and naff. Acres of cheap looking plastic, and some fairly crap looking rear light clusters that look like they were bought from Alibaba or something.

Probably didn't help that it had been specced with loads of extras including some godawful grey box on the o/s rear, what looked like a plastic ladder on the n/s rear with roof rack, and a snorkel kit.

Looks like 70k in that spec

There is a lot a 2.0 Ingenium Diesels in XE / Disco Sport / Evoques that are failing in 3/4 years with 30/40k on them

Same engine in these new Defenders but running even more power. I wonder how that pans out ?
GG.

Post by GG. »

duncs500 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:50 pm Saw a 911 SC Targa sat at the lights, caught my eye as it looked in good nick (even though I'm not usually a Targa fan). Pulls away silently! Shocked me a bit.

Although the wheels were different, it could be this very car. Link.
At least they bastardised an undesirable variant.

So now it has a shorter range, is heavier, lost the 911 weight distribution as the frunk is full of batteries - eliminating most of the practicality in the process...

All yours for £80k... your head would have to be filled with finely whipped maris pipers to spend that much on that.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I quite like these kinds of conversions, makes me think of the cars in Gattacca :lol:.

If I was wealthy and looking for a city car it would be ideal.
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

This was in cental London, so probably is being used as a city car. Not something I desire, but actually looked nicer than most SC Targas I've seen in terms of colour, condition etc.

The owner / passenger both looked pretty smiley sat at the lights, so it's obviously bringing joy to someone. :)
GG.

Post by GG. »

I would expect it to look nice for £80k!

Probably better than it being scrapped which I imagine happened to a lot of scruffy targas.
GG.

Post by GG. »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:12 pm
If I was wealthy and looking for a city car it would be ideal.
The original car was over 40 years old so MOT, tax and ULEZ exempt - also an ideal city runabout :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Yeah, not sure if I really get the point. None of the driving thrills of either a real 911 or a real Tesla. Just the pose.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

If you can get something that looks cool and will trundle around town with minimal impact then why not. I'm not suggesting I'd do it with every car but something like that Targa that would otherwise have a pretty good chance of being stripped for parts and scrapped, then what's the harm.
An absolute unit
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Vid of the electric Targa
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Ah it's built by the same company that built the Defender

An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:35 pm If you can get something that looks cool and will trundle around town with minimal impact then why not. I'm not suggesting I'd do it with every car but something like that Targa that would otherwise have a pretty good chance of being stripped for parts and scrapped, then what's the harm.
So you really think binning a 40 year old drivetrain for new batteries and motors is greener on something which probably won’t do many miles :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Like I say, I wouldn't do it on any car. Probably find a shell that needs a bit of restoration anyway.
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Listening to the video of that 911 I’m not sure it would be much fun outside of London - it’s all wind noise above 50, would get on my nerves after 10 minutes.
How about not having a sig at all?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:35 pm If you can get something that looks cool and will trundle around town with minimal impact then why not.
This.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I feel a bit guilty about driving a smelly non catalysed car around the countryside never mind sitting in central London in one.

I bet the electric version is a lot nicer to crawl around traffic in than a 40 year old grumpy air cooled carbed car.
Cheers, Harry
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Talking of electric cars, I spotted Kryten’s house today. Went out on an essential journey to collect a cat flap and a pooing toy flamingo from Argos in Evesham so came back down some lanes. Lovely day for it.
John

Post by John »

Ferrari 812 Superfast in grey on the m1. I’ve totally lost touch with supercars and had to do a reg plate search to ID it :oops:
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:46 pm pooing toy flamingo
That's.... niche.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:34 pm
Jobbo wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:46 pm pooing toy flamingo
That's.... niche.
Yeah, it’s how I get my kicks these days.
mik

Post by mik »

As you own the business now, I am surprised that you are pleased to receive large bills.