DSG gearboxes

Jackleg

DSG gearboxes

Post by Jackleg »

Mum is looking at buying a 2015 petrol golf with a DSG gearbox. I know next to nothing about them, so thought I'd poke the angry hive mind that is this place
Are they generally reliable?
Is there anything that I should be looking for on a test drive?
Do they need the oil changing?
scotta

Re: DSG gearboxes

Post by scotta »

Jackleg wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:22 am Mum is looking at buying a 2015 petrol golf with a DSG gearbox. I know next to nothing about them, so thought I'd poke the angry hive mind that is this place
Are they generally reliable? Yes - they had a bit of an issue with Mechatronic units when they were first launched - in 2004. They are fairly well established tried and tested technology these day and an number of indy places fix them. My mate just had his TT DSG box rebuild for £350
Is there anything that I should be looking for on a test drive? Make sure the box changes smoothly and pulls away without Juddering.
Do they need the oil changing? Yes they do - 40,000 mile intervals. Make sure its been done
Ive Had 3 DSG cars. Great gearbox. IMO even better than the ZF 8 speed BMW use.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

We've had two, both in Passats, a B6 and now a B7.

The B6 used to judder slightly when cold, new oil didn't make a difference, but OTOH it didn't get any worse in the five years or so we had it.

We've had the B7 just over a year, it's been absolutely fine and has just had an oil change as a routine part of the 50k mile service.

The gearboxes work great when driving but I always feel like I don't have enough control in slow manoeuvring. I prefer a traditional slushbox in those situations.

Like Scott says, they're well established units now.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:12 am We've had two, both in Passats, a B6 and now a B7.

The B6 used to judder slightly when cold, new oil didn't make a difference, but OTOH it didn't get any worse in the five years or so we had it.

We've had the B7 just over a year, it's been absolutely fine and has just had an oil change as a routine part of the 50k mile service.

The gearboxes work great when driving but I always feel like I don't have enough control in slow manoeuvring. I prefer a traditional slushbox in those situations.

Like Scott says, they're well established units now.
We had that with the ibiza - Software update from the dealer fixed it. I had an exceptionally good dealership at the time.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

They don't like big miles, 2 of the taxis I drove had them and they were fcuked.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Zonda_ wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:55 am They don't like big miles, 2 of the taxis I drove had them and they were fcuked.
One of mine had over 100k on it and was still tight.

Taxis and fucked are pretty much hand in hand unless your running a proper LTI cab.
Jackleg

Post by Jackleg »

Excellent. Thanks for the info. I shall pass it on.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

One thing to be aware of: they're not all the same. The most recent 7-sp version in VWs and Audis is wet clutch and is apparently less likely to require a clutch change in the future. The auto box chap I spoke to seemed to think they were generally pretty OK though overall; they've been around long enough that they're well into back-street repair territory. Go for one over a multitronic Audi any day.