$1.8m Singer

Marv

Re: $1.8m Singer

Post by Marv »

I'm guessing for $1.8m you could afford a second hand Singer, an Alfaholics GTA, a Eagle e-type and one of them nicely re-engineered 205 GTi that evo reviewed a few years ago.

I'd rather do that and fully immerse myself in re-engineered retro awesomeness.

Or just commision a nice Tuthill Porsche.
Oui, je suis un motard.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

speedingfine wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:55 pm
Mito Man wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:29 pm If I had the money I’d buy one

Then put the engine in something which is put together more nicely.
Did you see some build quality howler on it or something then?
No I’m more referring to how it looks. Singers just look like someone who has gone on a custom Porsche parts website and chucked one of everything randomly on the car.

Talking of build quality howlers...
The chrome trim is too low and the plastic one too high. Did the door shrink in the sun 😂
How about not having a sig at all?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I think it's awesumz. Let's face it, does it matter whether it's $1.8m or half that to its target market?

Nothing is overpriced if you want it and can afford it.

Only thing that bothers me about it is the 'historically important' quote. He's right, it does make him sound not only like a dick, but also completely deluded. I can see how one can get that way when you live and breathe one thing continuously, but there's nothing particularly cutting edge about it pal.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Does it need a 'ring time?
mik

Post by mik »

I know it’s one of these logic-out-teh-window cars, and prospective owners are likely to already have loads of other vehicles to drive (including hypercars) but £600k buys you an original CarreraGT ffs - even in this crazy market (they were £250k only a couple of years back).
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

mik wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:17 pm I know it’s one of these logic-out-teh-window cars, and prospective owners are likely to already have loads of other vehicles to drive (including hypercars) but £600k buys you an original CarreraGT ffs - even in this crazy market (they were £250k only a couple of years back).
1,270 CGTs produced (according to wikipedia), 75 of these produced... plus the first part of your point. Are you really trying to apply plain logic to it? ;)
GG.

Post by GG. »

mik wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:17 pm I know it’s one of these logic-out-teh-window cars, and prospective owners are likely to already have loads of other vehicles to drive (including hypercars) but £600k buys you an original CarreraGT ffs - even in this crazy market (they were £250k only a couple of years back).
Were they ever £250k? They started at c. £330 IIRC then dropped no further than very near a round £300k then sat around that up to £350k for probably 5 years until BOOM they were £595k overnight.

Not that I paid far too much attention to the residuals of these :oops:

ETA: http://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/carrera-gt ... carrera-gt would suggest Mik was right. Don't think I ever saw ads for them that low though.
ste

Post by ste »

It's fucking amazing and I'm glad cars like this are being built.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

ste wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:29 am It's fucking amazing and I'm glad cars like this are being built.
Hey me too, massively. This one just isn't for me, that's all. I mean - it's hugely expensive for a start. 😂
ste

Post by ste »

I think most people just can't imagine how much work has gone into something this complex and finished to such a high standard.

Having been involved with doing even small bespoke stuff on some of my cars, the effort and attention it takes is huge. Look at how many iterations of his K20 swap Dan has gone through to get it to the level he's at now. And that's a focused, determined development cycle. Getting an actual F1 team involved, doing real windtunnel stuff to a 40 year old body, getting bespoke things like the BBS wheels, Recaro seats, Momo wheel commisioned and then tracking the development through and keeping such a high quality control is amazing.

I think its only real problem is that it's not exclusive enough. 75 seems like quite a big number to me. If you drop nearly $2M you don't want to go to an event and have another 3 park next to you.
Marv

Post by Marv »

ste wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:28 am I think most people just can't imagine how much work has gone into something this complex and finished to such a high standard.

Having been involved with doing even small bespoke stuff on some of my cars, the effort and attention it takes is huge. Look at how many iterations of his K20 swap Dan has gone through to get it to the level he's at now. And that's a focused, determined development cycle. Getting an actual F1 team involved, doing real windtunnel stuff to a 40 year old body, getting bespoke things like the BBS wheels, Recaro seats, Momo wheel commisioned and then tracking the development through and keeping such a high quality control is amazing.

I think its only real problem is that it's not exclusive enough. 75 seems like quite a big number to me. If you drop nearly $2M you don't want to go to an event and have another 3 park next to you.
Surely to produce fewer of them, they'd have to bump up the cost, to carry on making the same profit margin?
Oui, je suis un motard.
mik

Post by mik »

Marv wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:09 pm
ste wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:28 am I think most people just can't imagine how much work has gone into something this complex and finished to such a high standard.

Surely to produce fewer of them, they'd have to bump up the cost, to carry on making the same profit margin?
Profit margin Marv? No-one is getting rich making these mate - we've already been assured. :geek:
Foz

Post by Foz »

Agree with Ste, I bet there’s way less than 10% margin after all these artisans have been paid a reasonable wage..

As I said earlier, until you actually see one and before to go over the details, then get involved in any bespoke work with talented people, I promise the thought of doing it 95% as good for a couple of hundred grand :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Why would they even bother building it with a shitty margin when there’s people who will pay whatever they ask.

If you’re only making single percent figures then you’re going to go out of business pretty quickly when the first buyer specifies it to their spec, then can’t pay in the end for any reason. That’s bound to happen at least once in a run of 75.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Rich B wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:19 am Why would they even bother building it with a shitty margin when there’s people who will pay whatever they ask.

If you’re only making single percent figures then you’re going to go out of business pretty quickly when the first buyer specifies it to their spec, then can’t pay in the end for any reason. That’s bound to happen at least once in a run of 75.
I wonder as they make so little profit from their cars, if they had to ocean finance the Williams engine project?
Oui, je suis un motard.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

GG. wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:32 pm

Were they ever £250k? They started at c. £330 IIRC then dropped no further than very near a round £300k then sat around that up to £350k for probably 5 years until BOOM they were £595k overnight.
I remember a grey one from Marbella at £185k 4/5 years ago.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

GG.

Post by GG. »

Nathan wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:48 am
GG. wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:32 pm

I remember a grey one from Marbella at £185k 4/5 years ago.
Wonder why that one was so cheap. Bargain if it was a clean one.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Foz

Post by Foz »

:twisted: