Disco ?

davejevons

Re: Disco ?

Post by davejevons »

We've got a similar issue: looking for a Bongo replacement to take 4 people, bikes and luggage around the country.

Our initial thought was RS6 avant or E55 estate but neither of which can fit a tow bar apparently due to type approval :roll: X5s, Cayennes, Touaregs and XC90s were next port of call but they're surprisingly small inside. A Cayenne Turbo may be more sensible than it first appears as they avoid the nikasil lining issue which affects the S engine.

Started looking at Discos and soon realised a L322 TDV8 Range Rover was a far nicer experience. Fear of big bills and £550/yr tax seems to keep the prices pretty low.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Disco 4's are fucking awesome when they work. They even go well down a country lane.

The bills are eye watering, but get your use out of it while it's going. The 8 speed is a big improvement and unfortunately they never let the V8 into the UK market.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

davejevons wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:51 pmWe've got a similar issue: looking for a Bongo replacement to take 4 people, bikes and luggage around the country.
Sensible choice has got to be a LWB T4/T5/T6. They're *loads* bigger than a Bongo. You can seat five adults, put four bikes in the back lengthwise without any dismantling and still get all your kit in too.

(that's an XL frame set up for a 6'4" rider - and as you can see there's still stacks of space between the bike & the roof)

There's the VW scene tax on the purchase of course, but you get it back when you sell. Mine's not depreciated in the four years I've had it. Parts are very easy to get hold of and the T4 at least is pretty easy to work on.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Orange Cola wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:50 pmThe bills are eye watering...
Parts or labour, or both ? I can do most spannering myself which will obviously help slightly.

And I think a decent 4 is going to be a bit more than I want to spend; the 8sp definitely.
hoyleyboyley

Post by hoyleyboyley »

Similar situation - looking at either L322 or a disco 4.

Test drove a disco recently and wasn't blown away over our ancient XC90, mind you test drive was only 10 minutes or so, so most of that was learning curve!

Seems like it fits the bill, but TBH it felt smaller than we wanted it to be - boot space etc for our monstrous buggy etc.

Both of us came away disappointed, although across the market it is THE ONLY car that ticks boxes for us.
One we test drove was also £25k, and I didn't feel like it was multiple times better than the sub 5k XC90 we have.

Next is to try an L322, which in theory should be more luxurious, but not sure covers the bases sizewise.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

hoyleyboyley wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:24 am...it felt smaller than we wanted it to be - boot space etc for our monstrous buggy etc.
You need an X5, I've heard that they're far bigger than a Discovery ;)

But seriously, I can't imagine the RR will be any bigger than the Disco. But do let us know if it is - I like the idea of the V8 !
hoyleyboyley

Post by hoyleyboyley »

Yes, range rover not expected to be bigger in any way, but I'm hoping it will be the 'wow, that's a nice place to be'.

And Yes x5s are cavernous for the hobbits on the forum. :lol:
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

You're going to buy a Range Rover then. :D

If a nice interior and driving position is important to you, you can't get much better. In fact in terms of Toad-of-Toad-Hall'ing, they might just be the best.

Discos 3 and 4 and L322s were pretty much perfect in terms of design.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Yep - the interior is a big step up on the Disco, especially if its a post 2006 (I think) TDV8 with the revised dash/centre console.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Range Rovers are unique in my mind. There's just something about them that no other make or model can touch, and I don't know why.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:18 am Range Rovers are unique in my mind. There's just something about them that no other make or model can touch, and I don't know why.
To me, they're sort of like a Bentley but not quite.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

In a good or bad way though Dave?

I love Bentleys but can see the hate for them after our musically / footbally-inclined brethren started ruining them.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Yep - that was the oft repeated comment when they were first release IIRC - that they were a 4x4 with Bentley levels of refinement/finish. Sadly Bentley then showed us what they could do with a 4x4 ;)

@JL: in a good way, surely?
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Agreed on Bentleys - I like them, but wouldn't want to be seen driving one.

The FFRR is right on the borderline though, and the RRS might be just on the wrong side.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

GG - Answer pending. Dave can be unpredictable on occasion.

SJ - RRSs are for cunts.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

In a good way. I yearn for a Bentley Turbo R. I also like the Bent Tiger.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Foz

Post by Foz »

I really want a FFRR, but struggle to part with the cash due to the reliability horror stories, a drive in a 2 year old TDV8 Autobiography was an absolute revelation!
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:32 am SJ - RRSs are for cunts.
Yeah. I was being polite.

The Disco avoids all that, they don't seem to attract that crowd at all. You're in with the "one life live it" bunch instead....
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

So cunts as well then yeah :lol:
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:35 am In a good way. I yearn for a Bentley Turbo R. I also like the Bent Tiger.
Older Bentleys are fine, I meant the VAG era.

I sat in a Continental last year and the main thing that struck me was not the opulence, but the fact that the instruments were nearly identical to the ones in my wife's Passat.