New Swede - who'd have guessed?

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

New Swede - who'd have guessed?

Post by Gavin »

Well to nobodies surprise I have bought another Swede to keep us on the road. 2004 S60 D5 SE. Everything works, although AC needs re-gassed. I have only done 20 or 30 miles in it but it is really really comfortable and I suspect would be even more relaxing than the Saab for a long journey. My wife got in it for the first time yesterday and drove it 360 odd miles to her parents and thought it brilliant. 77k on he clock, FSH and a few dings and the central cubby assembly is broken (missing springs) but for the price it would appear to be a bargain.

JLv3.0

Re: New Swede - who'd have guessed?

Post by JLv3.0 »

Nothing wrong with that 👍🏼
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:48 am Nothing wrong with that 👍🏼
Apart from the D, I like it, had a 2.0T hire car one of these years ago, one of the nicest hire cars I’ve had.

Carl
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Good buy. Which version of the D5 is it?

I borrowed a 2006 V70 D5 for a week a few years ago. It didn’t have as much rear legroom as I was expecting but apart from that it was a fine car.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

It is the 163 bhp Euro 3 one which seems to be the safest option as no dpf to clog up.

A T5 would have been lovely but next year the Mrs is doing peripatetic supply cover a few days a week so a diesel makes sense.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Tidy 8-)
I didn't think you were going to go for another derv, or was it more a case of the old one needing too much?
Gavin wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:32 am AC needs re-gassed.

Fingers crossed that's all it is.
John

Post by John »

The S60/V70 are probably the last of the well built Volvos, lots of stainless fixings rather than mild steel. When Ford and Volvo joined forces they seemed to be on a mission to cut costs. A friend worked for Volvo at the time and he said the build quality went down dramatically.

Oh and if you get an alarm warning on the dash, it is normally the back up battery in the alarm siren. Very common and easy to replace.
sec

Post by sec »

Let's hope this swede isn't a turnip. :oops:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Lovely (shed money?) motor.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Bloody wonderful cars. One of a kind.

Facelift 6 speed box fits but cruise control won't work.

Maps to 195bhp
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Is that a F150 behind it?
How about not having a sig at all?
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Raptor
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Nuttinew - it needed more work than I was willing (and injector seals which I couldn't anyway) to do, and was not willing to get a garage to do it. The reason for the car you see is I went to the Volvo main dealer and asked what they had for under a grand! They kinkly sold me what yyou see for a grand so with the mileage and condition I was more than happy with. On the forums guys have over 300k on these with routine maintenance.

Diesel is handy for her new job but I would have been equally happy with a 9-3 petrol vert! 8-)

If the AC needs more than a regass I won't bother, for the 7 days every two years it is needed......

240pp the Euro 3 163 lump which is the one to have apparently.

Will not be getting remapped, if I do a remap it will be a Noobtune Stage 1 to the Saab as that gives 275bhp and a huge boost to mid range torque. :shock: Low by some standards I know but for a barge I can stick a weeks camping in and hang a bike carrier off is probably enough!