2nd best sub £1k car

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

2nd best sub £1k car

Post by Gavin »

Mr Flewy was indeed correct with his FB assertion that crappy old diesels would be failing on emissions.

The wife's S40 indeed wont pass so I have a few days to source a replacement before she heads to Oxford, otherwise she will take my car.

Her needs are changing from the new school term as as she will be all around he Borders so needs half decent MPG. Safe and fit 4 of us and a weeks shopping in.

I have considered a gate but when I suggested it my wife got overwrought. :oops:
JLv3.0

Re: 2nd best sub £1k car

Post by JLv3.0 »

FFS.

There is no one best sub-1k car! You can only buy on condition having done some real world investigation!
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Whaaaaaa??? Surely I should ask the collective?
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Shirley you'll just buy her a Saab 9-3 of some description.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:23 am Shirley you'll just buy her a Saab 9-3 of some description.
It will be Swedish I would imagine but I want to get lots of advice then ignore it! It is the OV9 way! :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Go to local dealer and buy the first car he shows you (it will be “so good he was considering holding on to it for the wife”).
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

"I'm holding it now".
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I was going to suggest a Puma but that's not Swedish enough, so a Volvo 480 ES: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... 6167560730

A petrol version of her S40 (the Dutch one which is basically a Mitsubishi Carisma underneath, not the later Focus-based one) would be a pragmatic choice.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:44 am Go to local dealer and buy the first car he shows you (it will be “so good he was considering holding on to it for the wife”).
I heard he might even be losing money on the deal.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’ve been noticing some trends on my search for a not so shit shitbox. The vast majority of people selling them have the IQ of a vegetable. They struggle to take a non blurry photo, or more than 2 photos, they really struggle with writing a description. The number of trade dealers writing ‘millage’ for example - goes some way to explain how they’ve managed to spend a lifetime dealing crap cars...

People who own these cars are semi blind. Why bother describing your rusting intergalactic shit heap as ‘mint’ when it clearly isn’t? At least it goes some way to explain why drivers of old French cars are so crap at driving. They can’t fucking see that’s why.

Owners of cheap junk are super optimistic, they’re probably the type of people who actually thought that voting leave for Brexit would save the NHS £350 million a week. I’m judging this by the fact that they’re posting cars with bodywork similar to the surface of the moon followed up by comments that it will polish out or can be fixed for £30.

And finally the “this car drives like new” brigade. Now I’ve had some high dose chemo in my time which is known to numb your senses, so the poor fuckers who can describe their intergalactic shitheaps as driving like new must have had it REALLY BAD. Like almost having no nervous system bad.
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

It does make it all the easier to spot a good advert though. Even though they are few and far between.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Gavin wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:01 am Mr Flewy was indeed correct with his FB assertion that crappy old diesels would be failing on emissions.

The wife's S40 indeed wont pass so I have a few days to source a replacement before she heads to Oxford, otherwise she will take my car.

Her needs are changing from the new school term as as she will be all around he Borders so needs half decent MPG. Safe and fit 4 of us and a weeks shopping in.

I have considered a gate but when I suggested it my wife got overwrought. :oops:
It’s funny but both my team mates on my race team are mechanics with their own garages which are constantly busy. I asked the one that lives in donny last weekend if he’d seen any changes and his summation was that it was mainly impacting the dpf deleters and really old stuff that were being hit. He said he hadn’t seen much change in the euro3 and 4 era diesels. I’ll check with the guy down here at some point but prior to the change he had much the same opinion and he’s also a qualified tester. I have vested interest as my Navara is euro4 so I’d already done some checking, it’s highly likely that this is just the latest in the long line of thing the more unscrupulous are using to tout for work.

Carl.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

For many years deleting the dpf was the done thing if they started playing up, if the new regs get some of the stinking soot cloud spewing cars which haven't been maintained properly off the road then I'm all for them.
Cheers, Harry
Jezh

Post by Jezh »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:46 pm I’ve been noticing some trends on my search for a not so shit shitbox. The vast majority of people selling them have the IQ of a vegetable. They struggle to take a non blurry photo, or more than 2 photos, they really struggle with writing a description. The number of trade dealers writing ‘millage’ for example - goes some way to explain how they’ve managed to spend a lifetime dealing crap cars...

People who own these cars are semi blind. Why bother describing your rusting intergalactic shit heap as ‘mint’ when it clearly isn’t? At least it goes some way to explain why drivers of old French cars are so crap at driving. They can’t fucking see that’s why.

Owners of cheap junk are super optimistic, they’re probably the type of people who actually thought that voting leave for Brexit would save the NHS £350 million a week. I’m judging this by the fact that they’re posting cars with bodywork similar to the surface of the moon followed up by comments that it will polish out or can be fixed for £30.

And finally the “this car drives like new” brigade. Now I’ve had some high dose chemo in my time which is known to numb your senses, so the poor fuckers who can describe their intergalactic shitheaps as driving like new must have had it REALLY BAD. Like almost having no nervous system bad.
Let's hope your purchase doesn't turn you into one of 'them' then :D
Your opinion is very important for me. Thank you please.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:46 pm I’ve been noticing some trends on my search for a not so shit shitbox. The vast majority of people selling them have the IQ of a vegetable. They struggle to take a non blurry photo, or more than 2 photos, they really struggle with writing a description. The number of trade dealers writing ‘millage’ for example - goes some way to explain how they’ve managed to spend a lifetime dealing crap cars...

I remember being asked to leave the premises of a dealer once that had a CRX for sale for strong money and issued glowing praise about it's condition and history as it was owned by a member of his family. I had just finished restoring my CRX and was looking for a friend and found untold amounts of rust horrors in the boot and roof and filler repairs in the rear arches. The one he eventually bought has been welded but the dealer was happy for me to remove all the boot plastic trim to inspect the rear bodywork inside.
Also what's with the Chemo (aren't you only early 20's), did I miss that on my old forum hiatus?

Carl.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Don’t necessarily have to be old to get cancer, although as with most things I’m ahead of the trend ;)
How about not having a sig at all?
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

We have a pre-DPF/pre-euro emissions diesel in the family, they're not being hit by the new regs are they?
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Gavin wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:01 am Mr Flewy was indeed correct with his FB assertion that crappy old diesels would be failing on emissions.

Upgrade the wife?
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division