Ever bought a car blind?

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Ever bought a car blind?

Post by Matty »

Because I'm getting older with a considerably shorter attention span and an even shorter level of patience, I can't be bothered traipsing half way around the country viewing cars or going into dealerships pretending to be 'interested' like I used to 10 years ago. I'm tempted just to pick one and run with it.

So has anyone ever had a shot in the dark and bought a car without viewing/driving it before? Regrets?
mik

Re: Ever bought a car blind?

Post by mik »

Only one - my VXR8.

Viewed a local car a couple of times and decided not to. Then regretted it. Saw ad for my car in Southampton, and it had exhaust and intake mods I fancied, plus stereo upgrades. Just before Chrimbo - i was able to complete a tasty price negotation over the phone, so decided to go for it and paid a deposit.

I did see the car before making the final payment though, and the fact it had done 9k miles and still had 18m manufacturer warranty remaining were major elements of the risk decision.

For special stuff you can usually get a local knowledgeable enthusiast from an appropriate forum to take a look for you.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Bought one of my VR6's blind, oddly that was in Southampton too, lengthy phone call with seller then flew done and drove it back.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Bought my V8 Soarer and my previous motorbike blind. No ragrets.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Foz

Post by Foz »

Loads :lol:
GG.

Post by GG. »

Yep - bought my e36 blind and then proceeded to pick it up in the dark. Got it home and the next day saw the front wing's clearcoat was flaking away :evil:

Clearly the old giffer I'd bought it from had used photos for the ad from some time previously. Technically a claim for fraudulent misrepresentation but I paid £600 for it so clearly it was never worth pursuing.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Anyone fancy buying my 996..... blind..... located in Southampton?

Serious post. PM me.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

A few - Saab 9000 Aero bought over the phone, E46 330i Touring won on eBay and my F11 535i Touring over the phone. And my first 545i Touring, paid the private seller before I’d even seen it :lol: Plus lease cars which I hadn’t test driven.

You get a feel for whether it’s worthwhile.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Yeah, I got this one. Image
The artist formerly known as _Who_
SSO

Post by SSO »

Yes, bought an Alfa Spider 1750 blind out of a Coys auction years ago. Other than the fact it was an Alfa, the description was a complete work of fiction.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I bought my Megane from the other end of the country without having ever sat in one, let alone that one.
Left over crest; tightens.
ste

Post by ste »

Foz wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:27 pmLoads :lol:
This. In fact I can hardly remember the last time I went to 'look at a car' that I hadn't already agreed to buy and probably paid a deposit on.
dan

Post by dan »

JonMad wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:07 pm I bought my Megane from the other end of the country without having ever sat in one, let alone that one.
Yep, me too.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

ste wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:10 am
Foz wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:27 pmLoads :lol:
This. In fact I can hardly remember the last time I went to 'look at a car' that I hadn't already agreed to buy and probably paid a deposit on.
Yep, mostly that.

I had agreed to buy the lancia before seeing it. Agreed to buy and paid Tim a deposit for the m3 despite last seeing it 9 months previously when I was a passenger in it around snetterton. Bought the silver compact blind paying in full before going to collect it and a few others I had already bought in my head and knew I was going to buy them before seeing them 😂

All pretty cheap though, and the only one that bit me was the brm which was a heap of shite, but I only really wanted the gearbox anyway.
Cheers, Harry
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I bought a whole OEM set for the 330...