Project Binky

mik

Re: Project Binky

Post by mik »

Yeah that was very interesting 8-) And I sniggered heartily at the 12m40 voice edit :lol:

I (naively?) thought series like this were a relatively level playing field for the drivers, but of course everyone wants to find a bit more. Having a race car and not being allowed to tweak basics like camber must be annoying.
Last edited by mik on Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

jamcg wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:57 am Some cheeky interpretation going on there, wonder if they’ll need to remove anything
I doubt it. This is their actual day job so they're well aware of what they can get away with.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
mik

Post by mik »

Sorry to share this with you guys - I couldn’t help it.

Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:28 am
jamcg wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:57 am Some cheeky interpretation going on there, wonder if they’ll need to remove anything
I doubt it. This is their actual day job so they're well aware of what they can get away with.
In the latest episode they were told to get shot of all the extra brackets and stuff by the organisers.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:13 pm
Jimmy Choo wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:28 am
In the latest episode they were told to get shot of all the extra brackets and stuff by the organisers.
That they also decided were useless
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

mik wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:49 am Sorry to share this with you guys - I couldn’t help it.

:lol:
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Loving this series. I never really got into all their fabrication stuff (maybe I will now) but this is awesome.
Left over crest; tightens.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Wonder why their car is much faster in a straight line...can't just be the thin oils they are using. Lightweight flywheel? Impossible to scrutineer.

Dunno if they have subsequently done it off camera but the OE rear tow points are heavy steel pieces at a couple of kilo's each so they could save a fair bit of weight (or put it in a better place) by replacing those, or just bolting their hooks straight into the chassis.
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

mr_jon wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:20 am Wonder why their car is much faster in a straight line...
I tried asking this on the twitter but just got a like (whilst also saying I enjoyed the series). Faster in a straight line and less grip in the corners. To do with the toe maybe? Can't be that they picked the base model as all the other teams would have stripped everything out anyway.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I'm pretty sure they said that toe was dialled out of the rear in some manner, which is why it was so tail happy going in on the brakes but it meant less rolling resistance so easier for the powertrain to drag the car up the road (which with 60-odd bhp would be pretty noticable)

Cars all have a min weight requirement, so a base model wouldn't make any difference I don't think.
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

Yeah, I rewatched the previous two episodes last night :lol: Maybe zero toe at the rear, as wouldn't toe out add resistance the same as toe in? Dan?!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Would a bit of toe make that much difference - the way he’s pulling away from the other car looks like a good 10 horsepower difference.
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

It's all about the racing lines and maintaining momentum though when you have no power. And he's clearly pretty good at pedalling.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Just watched the last one (Patreon) - good end to the series (never thought I'd say that with BOM!) and they do specifically answer the question about straight line speed...
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I wondered if they’d found a specific version with a different gearbox or final drive ratio.

Guess I’ll have to wait until tomorrow to find out..
Cheers, Harry
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

That was an enjoyable final C1 round-up episode. It’s on YouTube now.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Good charity to hand it over to. Nice to see the partners helping out too
Beany

Post by Beany »

jamcg wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:04 pm Good charity to hand it over to. Nice to see the partners helping out too
Yeah, I was impressed with the amount of genuinely useful gear the sponsors chucked in. Looks like MM will have a pretty decent wee track car to play with and maintain in the future!
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

Rich B wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:47 pm Just watched the last one (Patreon) - good end to the series (never thought I'd say that with BOM!) and they do specifically answer the question about straight line speed...
Cool, I was on the right lines then. Surprised it made that much difference.

Excellent gift to charity. Now, what is it they’re doing with a rally car?
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Binky is back.
But what have they done?! :shock:
Pandering to the impatient is not what I expect from the guys.