Project Binky

IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Re: Project Binky

Post by IanF »

Jobbo wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:17 am Bigger is going to be better, I'm sure - but space is at a premium and that one is bigger than the original Toyota unit, isn't it?
They’re going for more power than the Celica ran.
Cheers,

Ian
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I'm assuming they've gone as big as possible with all the rads as the engine bay itself is so cramped everything is going to want to run hot, and I'd imagine that although the cabin is small there's going to be a fair bit of heat soak on a decent run so a decent aircon output.
Cheers, Harry
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

The Celica charge cooler heat exchanger is a higher spec unit than they have used - more rows and more fins - so I'd say it probably just about evens out. I'd have been tempted to use the original pump rather than the crappy plastic job.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

New transporter van project vid has just come out for patreons- I don’t like to say it, but they need to go back to actually presenting what they’re doing. 30 mins of undoing bolts is dull - and they don’t even say what the end game is...
Beany

Post by Beany »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:02 pm New transporter van project vid has just come out for patreons- I don’t like to say it, but they need to go back to actually presenting what they’re doing. 30 mins of undoing bolts is dull - and they don’t even say what the end game is...
Someone has obviously never had to put their own back into an older car.....and it shows.

The chances of those older bolts coming off without a blowtorch (for e.g. on the exhaust, leaf springs etc) are thousands to one.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Oh, and the endgame is quite obviously to get it to under a weight that requires an HGV livense to drive - to suit their old (and 'up to 7.5ton') licenses.

They made that *pretty clear* in the first video, and this one, where they remove the entire old, heavy drivetrain should have been a pretty obvious hint that they're doing a drivetrain swap to something newer and lighter.

We're not talking rocket science here. The engine and gearbox are over 3/4 ton alone FFS.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I’ve stripped a car apart, I know the difficulty with nightmare bolts. So what are they replacing the drivetrain with?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Rich B wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:46 pm I’ve stripped a car apart, I know the difficulty with nightmare bolts. So what are they replacing the drivetrain with?
Spare engine from the mini?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Rich B wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:46 pm I’ve stripped a car apart, I know the difficulty with nightmare bolts. So what are they replacing the drivetrain with?
I was thinking the same. What would the downsides be of sticking something like a Merc 420CDi drive train in it? If the power they quoted is right, then any half decent recent TDi should offer up a significant increase in bhp. Not sure about how much torque it generates though.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mik

Post by mik »

I'm sure pretty much any basic saloonhatchcoupe tdi can provide the powah, but can the 'boxes handle the backlash from a 7.5T truck? :?
Beany

Post by Beany »

I may have mistaken you for Richard. :?

My apologies.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I don’t know of any car engine that will cope with a 7.5 ton truck.

Truck engines are built differently to car engines, it’s why my friends 7.5 ton truck is a 4.2 litre 150hp 4 cylinder. It can cope well fully loaded with 450lbs of torque. A car engine would be revving it’s nuts off, even a big diesel one.

Unless ruined, a fully dressed engine and box is absolutely fine at 750kg, if they need it lighter and basically put weaker stuff in then they have purchased the wrong truck.

Dave!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

V8Granite wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:12 am I don’t know of any car engine that will cope with a 7.5 ton truck.

Truck engines are built differently to car engines, it’s why my friends 7.5 ton truck is a 4.2 litre 150hp 4 cylinder. It can cope well fully loaded with 450lbs of torque. A car engine would be revving it’s nuts off, even a big diesel one.

Unless ruined, a fully dressed engine and box is absolutely fine at 750kg, if they need it lighter and basically put weaker stuff in then they have purchased the wrong truck.

Dave!
How are they built differently (forgive me my ignorance)? I can understand uprated heavy-duty components, but I thought ultimately it came down to the amount of power it can deliver. If a 150bhp/450lbs truck engine can pull it, why would a 250bhp/500lbs car engine struggle?
---
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

A diesel out of a larger American pick up will do fine but I think they’re really expensive so that rules them out.
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

See I really don’t see the issue with simply telling us the plan. Like they did with Binky. They’ve succumbed to the standard YouTube crap of thinking you have to keep everyone in the dark about what will happen next or they won’t come back to watch more.

Make informative and fun videos (like they can) and people like me will keep watching (and paying) to see them. I don’t want to watch 30 minutes of loosening bolts to not even know why they’re doing it.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:27 am
V8Granite wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:12 am I don’t know of any car engine that will cope with a 7.5 ton truck.

Dave!
How are they built differently (forgive me my ignorance)? I can understand uprated heavy-duty components, but I thought ultimately it came down to the amount of power it can deliver. If a 150bhp/450lbs truck engine can pull it, why would a 250bhp/500lbs car engine struggle?
Generally you are running much closer to peak cylinder pressures when moving something heavy. That’s how many bar of pressure inside the cylinder. When you run high loads for long periods you need bigger bearings especially so that the engine lasts. Also if you want low rev torque you generally want a longer stroke (not all engines for reasons I’m not sure on) so you have more leverage but also higher piston speeds. Which is why the engines don’t really rev.

Plus the main bearing arrangement, block stiffness needed for it etc, it all adds up.

Dave!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

V8Granite wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:01 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:27 am

Dave!
Generally you are running much closer to peak cylinder pressures when moving something heavy. That’s how many bar of pressure inside the cylinder. When you run high loads for long periods you need bigger bearings especially so that the engine lasts. Also if you want low rev torque you generally want a longer stroke (not all engines for reasons I’m not sure on) so you have more leverage but also higher piston speeds. Which is why the engines don’t really rev.

Plus the main bearing arrangement, block stiffness needed for it etc, it all adds up.

Dave!
Cheers! I did remember noting that buses seem to have their rev band at what is (nearly) a high idle on car.
---
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Binky ep 25 out now for patreons (presumably tomorrow for the great unwashed)...
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Rich B wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:30 pm Binky ep 25 out now for patreons (presumably tomorrow for the great unwashed)...
its a good one too!
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

1HZ motor for the bus, they go pretty well.