Project Binky

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Project Binky

Post by Jobbo »

I haven't looked at the comments about the headifold yet - are they good?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Probably not - however Skid Factory has taught me that turbo exhaust manifolds aren't the most technical things in the world. Air out, into turbo, that's about it.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:20 am Bonnet release was very clever, but I think I would have just attached a solenoid on the underside of the slam panel and run a couple of wires to it.

I was strangely fascinated by the dual function headlight switch, would make adding a feed for an extra set of main beam driving lights very neat and oem without having to tap into the normal high beam feed. Wonder if any hondas used the separate main and dip setup or they just added it to the switch when designing it just in case they wanted to use that method later on.
Civic MB6 VTi had a split headlight, where the other cooking models had a single H4 bulb, so that's where the original setup was derived from. Switch was probably used on the Integra-R too that was based on the same floorpan and ran quad round lights.

Can't wait to see how the manifold stacks up and how much power it makes. Thought they might have attempted a twin scroll design as they were fabricating to that degree.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

mr_jon wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:09 pm Little bit disappointed that they are shooting for 'only' 200-ish, given the lack of space for a reasonably-sized turbo. Hopefully they aren't really going to fit what looked like a marginally more modern Subaru turbo, and it will actually be something like a GTX-series. I think the headifold will likely mean a little extra lag until the turbine spins up and the gasses know where to go.
Yep 200hp would be woeful from a 3SGTE, ffs the 3SGE beams delivered that from na. Hopefully they're finishing for someone who knows turbos to sponsor/deliver them something modern up to a couple of bar (what is the plural of bar?) of boost.

1125 thanks Ian. :D
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

RobYob wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:25 pm
mr_jon wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:09 pm Little bit disappointed that they are shooting for 'only' 200-ish, given the lack of space for a reasonably-sized turbo. Hopefully they aren't really going to fit what looked like a marginally more modern Subaru turbo, and it will actually be something like a GTX-series. I think the headifold will likely mean a little extra lag until the turbine spins up and the gasses know where to go.
Yep 200hp would be woeful from a 3SGTE, ffs the 3SGE beams delivered that from na. Hopefully they're finishing for someone who knows turbos to sponsor/deliver them something modern up to a couple of bar (what is the plural of bar?) of boost.

1125 thanks Ian. :D
Winds

Dave!
Simon

Post by Simon »

The artist formerly known as _Who_
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

That exhaust system looks quite high flow, lets hope the 200hp quip was per axle :D
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Next episode of Project Bracketry.
scotta

Post by scotta »

In colour...

Beany

Post by Beany »

oh no where it is oh no

Be interesting to see how they get it into the position of running and road usable, as that's been sort of left aside in the build so far - especially when it comes to getting a good tune on it, etc.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Nice to see two blokes able to pick it up off the rands and onto a trolley despite people's fears about all the extra metal they've been adding.
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

integrale_evo wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:22 pm Nice to see two blokes able to pick it up off the rands and onto a trolley despite people's fears about all the extra metal they've been adding.
LOL, exactly what I thought.

"OH NO IT WILL WEIGH SO MUCH MORE"

Hahahaha no. It's like an extra 20kgs of gussets and strengthening, tops. It's not like they've rebuilt the chassis from AR500 or something FFS.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Beany wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:33 pm
integrale_evo wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:22 pm Nice to see two blokes able to pick it up off the rands and onto a trolley despite people's fears about all the extra metal they've been adding.
LOL, exactly what I thought.

"OH NO IT WILL WEIGH SO MUCH MORE"

Hahahaha no. It's like an extra 20kgs of gussets and strengthening, tops. It's not like they've rebuilt the chassis from AR500 or something FFS.
To be fair they did remove a bracket off the bonnet. #weightsaving.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Beany wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:33 pm 20kgs of gusset
Beany

Post by Beany »

nuttinnew wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:31 pm
Beany wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:33 pm 20kgs of gusset
I think I've had her.
mik

Post by mik »

They have SO much more patience than I do. :shock:

Have they said what the final colour will be?
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

mik wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:10 pm They have SO much more patience than I do. :shock:

Have they said what the final colour will be?
I heard somewhere they were planning on something called Gravure primaire gris?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

New one to relieve the boring Sunday.

Nice to see new bits and stuff in its final finish.

Subframe assembly looks ridiculously over engineered and bulky compared to the BMW stuff I'm used to. Surprised they didn't attempt to streamline or lighten any of it, but then that would have added another 6months to the build I suppose.
Cheers, Harry
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I watched it yesterday, I quite enjoyed this one - there was a really scruffy assembly at the beginning and a whole shiny finished one at the end - which is unusual for the Binky project!
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Had a little lol at the bit after the patron names