Shell charging stations and price

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Shell charging stations and price

Post by Gavster »

Shell have opened their first EV charging station in Fulham and it's £0.59/kW which means a 100KWh battery in a Tesla S would be £59 to charge. I thought EVs were going to be cheap? :lol:

Simon

Re: Shell charging stations and price

Post by Simon »

Don't forget that very little of that goes to the government too, so add in the inevitable road charging and you're talking ££££s.

Yeah yeah, 'charge at home' whatever. Not so good if you are doing a long trip or don't have the ability to charge at home etc.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Will still seem cheap when petrol is £5/l :lol:
Cheers, Harry
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

My M4 cost £112 to fill with sul last week; so similar range, similar performance, half the price.. 👍
Cheers,

Ian
mik

Post by mik »

With EV’a the strategy seems to be moh speed = moh convenient = moh money.

We paid something like £0.65 per kWH to top up at an IONITY station last year, but it was a 150kw charger and we were at 100% very quickly.

Bloke beside us was furious as he’d driven past a 50kW charger he usually used to access this, but his car was only charging at 37kw for some reason - yet still paying the premium price . This will be an ongoing issues I suspect.

And yeah - folks who can’t slow charge at home overnight aren’t going to have much fun with EVs.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

If youre using fast chargers regularly there are subscription services or charge cards like bonnet that can cut the costs in half.

I'm genuinely convinced some of the media stuff on EVs and charging is oil or car company propaganda 🤣
Barry

Post by Barry »

Carlos wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:16 pm

I'm genuinely convinced some of the media stuff on EVs and charging is oil or car company propaganda 🤣
Most of it is exactly that. They spend billions lobbying and paying for pro fossil/anti EV propaganda. Sad part is, a large % of the public happily repeat it.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

mik wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:34 am
We paid something like £0.65 per kWH to top up at an IONITY station last year, but it was a 150kw charger and we were at 100% very quickly.
There is a strange satisfaction from a charger that takes a long time as opposed to a very very long time!
mik

Post by mik »

MikeHunt wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:33 pm
mik wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:34 am
There is a strange satisfaction from a charger that takes a long time as opposed to a very very long time!
We were at 40% charge. Plugged in the charger, sorted a couple of things inside the car, walked from the charger to the service station cafe, ordered coffees, sat down at a table. This probably took 15mins in total :?: Before either of us had taken a sip, I got a message on my phone that charging was complete. 8-) Not as fast as filling a tank with petrol, but perfectly managable. If it worked like that every time - I can't really see any issue with EVs.

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that every time. Came back to the same charging station on the way home, and the charger we plugged into was only pulling 40-odd KW. Bloke with another E-Tron plugged into an adjacent charger, which topped him up at 150kw. When he was done, I thought "fuckit" and moved over to his charger. Our car and that charger refused to complete their handshake. Whilst I was fighting with it another car came and took the charger I had been using... which decided to charge his Nissan (I think) at around 85kw. It took me 15mins to get the handshake to complete, whereby it then ran at the full 150kw and had us ready to go in about 9mins. If it had been mrs mik on her own there she'd have been in a right panic.
Holley

Post by Holley »

Had the model 3 for 8 months now and only needed to charge away from home once. On Thursday drove from Bedfordshire to Southampton and back again on a single charge (275 mile round trip with 45 miles left of charge) mostly using the M1, M25, M3 at normal speeds.

Waking up each morning with 344 miles showing means I just don't need to charge outside home (obviously that won't be true for everyone).

Really impressed with it and surprised how much it's grown on me. Has been slow burn for sure, but the more time I spend with it, the more I like it.

Best bits are you can thrash it straight away (old M240 would take 10 minutes to get warm enough by which time I'd left the best roads from our house), range doesn't seem to be too badly affected by fast driving, overtaking is hilariously easy (like constantly being at 5k revs in 3rd gear in the M240), family don't get suspicious when driving quickly (no engine noise to make them notice what you're doing) and saving about £300 per month on petrol with no loss in performance (actually it's much quicker).

Worst bits are it's just not a car you want to look back at when you walk away.