Fun rental for a Scottish weekend

Explosive Newt

Fun rental for a Scottish weekend

Post by Explosive Newt »

My other half's father* has put the extended family up in a hotel near Aberdeen for the weekend. My thinking was to get the train up to Edinburgh**, rent something tasty, stay over with the brother in law in Perth then head on up, before returning the car on the Monday.

Anyone have any experience with renting fun cars? I've found Avis willing to do about £800 for a 911 Carerra S or an F-type R.

*he's a dreadful man, and probably an alcoholic, but he is paying for the whole thing
**I don't fancy renting a car just to drive it up the A1
mik

Re: Fun rental for a Scottish weekend

Post by mik »

BenB rented a (4wd I think) F-Type one time he came up with a small group - he’s not regularly on here now, but he is on Twitter (@BenB_7).

@Marv hired a Caterham too, but that was picked up around Inverness from memory.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

There's loads of "long way round" scenic routes he could take from here, but yeah, seems like a waste of money if he's just going to go up the motorway.
Cheers,

Mike.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

speedingfine wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:52 pm Obligatory:

https://caledoniancaterhamhire.co.uk/
Jesus. Mrs Newt would murder me, then you, then probably all the forum.
These guys seem nice but £1.5k is an awful lot for a three day car hire. I presume there is some benefit over Avis but not sure what it would be.
mik

Post by mik »

My mate rented a TVR T350 yeeeeears ago, and the insurance excess was something like £3k, so watch out for that. It did help him to remain a bit more sensible whilst driving it.

These days I expect you could get separate excess cover though from somebody independent.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Explosive Newt wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:05 pm My other half's father* has put the extended family up in a hotel near Aberdeen for the weekend. My thinking was to get the train up to Edinburgh**, rent something tasty, stay over with the brother in law in Perth then head on up, before returning the car on the Monday.

Anyone have any experience with renting fun cars? I've found Avis willing to do about £800 for a 911 Carerra S or an F-type R.

*he's a dreadful man, and probably an alcoholic, but he is paying for the whole thing
**I don't fancy renting a car just to drive it up the A1
Slip @mik a crisp English £20 note, a large bag of Revels and I'm sure he'll let you loose in the Evora for a few days?
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

See if you can rent one of these:

speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

NGRhodes wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:51 pm See if you can rent one of these:

:lol: that's even worse in Scottish weather than my suggestion!
Marv

Post by Marv »

mik wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:51 pm BenB rented a (4wd I think) F-Type one time he came up with a small group - he’s not regularly on here now, but he is on Twitter (@BenB_7).

@Marv hired a Caterham too, but that was picked up around Inverness from memory.
Not too far from Elgin, Sir Mikalot of Scotlandishire.

Just looking at the website and it appears they're now on an industrial estate, where as it was run from someone's house before. Could be that the original owner sold up?
Oui, je suis un motard.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Booked a F-type P450 through Avis prestige but had an email a few days later to say they are scaling back their fleets and won't be offering sports cars of any sort in November (and had the gall to suggest I booked a Merc 4x4 instead).

It looks like Northern Supercar hire is the only game in town but it is a lot of money to rent even a 911 carerra for the weekend.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

scotta wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:02 pm https://caledonianmorganhire.co.uk/

That is very nice indeed!
Cheers,

Mike.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

There used to be a rental place on Costorphine Road in Edinburgh that hired out older cool cars, Corrado Golf and some fancier stuff. Not sure they are still around though as not been up that way and if you have been googling I would imagine they would have come up
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

https://www.facebook.com/porschehirescotland

Have been recommended by a friend - they look a bit sketchy on the surface but he had a good experience renting a cayman S a couple of years ago