Tyre inflator/air compressor

DaveE

Tyre inflator/air compressor

Post by DaveE »

I have a cheapo Halfords job, and it's awful - a pain to use, and woefully inaccurate in terms of pressure readings - to the point where I just guess (over inflating a bit), then use a decent gauge to let out air until I get to the right pressure

Can anyone recommend a decent, portable (to live in the boot) option?

Must run off a cigar lighter thing, but the option of mains would also be handy (though not essential)

Thank you...
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Tyre inflator/air compressor

Post by Jobbo »

We have two Ring ones, which score really well in Auto Express tests. Also an old Halfords branded one which is probably quite different to yours.

The Ring ones are quicker to inflate the tyres but that's the only good thing I'll say about them. The plastic body is flimsy so one is quite cracked and has jagged edges; they have a screw-on valve connector which is really slow and irritating to use compared to the standard type which you push on and secure with a lever - and it lets out air while you're unscrewing it. They both require you to set a pressure which is fiddly and they cut off when you get to that pressure which means if you forget to change it to a higher pressure for the other end of your car or a different car, it cuts off before you want. And the way the hose folds into the body of the compressor makes it kink, which annoys me.

Anyway, I always get the old, slower one out because it's quick and simple to unroll the power lead and hose and to connect to each valve.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

https://www.jgs4x4.co.uk/t-max-12v-air ... dventurer/

It’s been used and abused since 2011 and still keeps hammering away.

It’s just a compressor, the gauge isn’t that accurate when running but once stopped it settles. I set all my tyres by going above and using my accurate gauge to set the pressure though.

Dave!
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Ring are very accurate for pressure, I agree with everything else Jobbo said about them!
John

Post by John »

I’ve got a Worx battery powered inflator and it’s very good. I’ve got other Worx tools so have plenty of batteries and bought the inflator cheaper without the battery. If you’ve got a battery powered drill or other tools have a look if they also share the batteries with an inflator.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Have an AA branded one. Gauge on it seems accurate but it suffers from the same problem of a screw-on connector. It has a pointless torch.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Explosive Newt wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:32 pm Have an AA branded one. Gauge on it seems accurate but it suffers from the same problem of a screw-on connector. It has a pointless torch.
My Halfords jobbie is the same. And very noisy too. I'd rather drive to the garage and pay 50p to use theirs.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Barry

Post by Barry »

I bought a twin chamber Michelin branded foot pump, and a digital gauge. No faff with needing power, feeding leads through the car windows. Just takes a bit of effort. Overall I find this less hassle.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Explosive Newt wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:32 pm Have an AA branded one. Gauge on it seems accurate but it suffers from the same problem of a screw-on connector. It has a pointless torch.
Screw on connectors are far better when you have a lot of air to go in I think.

Dave!
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

John wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:31 am I’ve got a Worx battery powered inflator and it’s very good. I’ve got other Worx tools so have plenty of batteries and bought the inflator cheaper without the battery. If you’ve got a battery powered drill or other tools have a look if they also share the batteries with an inflator.
I hadn't considered this...

I've got a Bosch battery pack drill, I'll have a look and see if they do a pump that can use the batteries I already have

And thinking about it, I rarely inflate/check tyre pressures away from home (unless in an 'emergency' or unexpected event, and then I can make do with garages and the gauge I always have in the car anyway)

Thank you for the suggestion....
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

DeWalt do one that is 12v from the car or 18v battery. It also has a hose for tents, hot tub etc
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

You can buy adaptors now to go between power tool brands, so if you already have a Bosch/makita/dewalt you can get the cheaper ryobi tools you only want use occasionally
Beany

Post by Beany »

I think Project Farm on YouTube tested style combo jump pack/compressors recently, might be an excuse to expand the budget and get a new multi use toy....er, I mean, tool.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I forgot to update this with my eventual purchase...

After much Googling and reading of reviews (we never just go and buy anything anymore do we?!) I found a great offer on a Ring RTC1000 (direct from Ring) that meant it was pretty much half price

Delivery was quick and simple, and so far, so good.

Seems well made, with some thoughtful touches too (like clips for all the various adapters, brass/screw-on valve, release valve, LED light, wind in/out power cable etc)

Seems very accurate vs a digital tyre pressure gauge too

Overall, very happy so far...

https://www.ringautomotive.com/en/product/RTC1000
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

The design of that looks much better and less fragile than the two Ring ones I've got.

Do you still have to screw the hose onto the tyre valve with this model, or is it a quick release type?
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:53 pm The design of that looks much better and less fragile than the two Ring ones I've got.

Do you still have to screw the hose onto the tyre valve with this model, or is it a quick release type?
It is screw on, which is a bit of a pain

But in practice I don't think it results in losing any more air when you remove it than the other sort (the one with the little lever, not sure what they're called)
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

What’s it like in terms of noise, my current Ring one is so loud I feel embarrassed using it! For £39 I feel an upgrade coming on…
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Zonda_ wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:41 pm What’s it like in terms of noise, my current Ring one is so loud I feel embarrassed using it! For £39 I feel an upgrade coming on…
I didn't think it was too bad to be honest

Better than the really annoyingly loud Halfords one

The Halfords one sounds thin and rattly

The ring one sounds quieter and more "damped"

Not sure if that makes sense
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

DaveE wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:34 pm
Zonda_ wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:41 pm What’s it like in terms of noise, my current Ring one is so loud I feel embarrassed using it! For £39 I feel an upgrade coming on…
I didn't think it was too bad to be honest

Better than the really annoyingly loud Halfords one

The Halfords one sounds thin and rattly

The ring one sounds quieter and more "damped"

Not sure if that makes sense
Yes, I would describe my current one as thin and rattly!
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Useful timing, I'll get one of these ordered for my wife as she's destroyed two foot-pumps.

There's one tyre with a faulty valve on the Navara and I think one of the others might have a poor seal with the rim which itself maybe needs reconditioned. So of course, I've been saying to take it to our mechanic to get them sorted... for about 3 months now. There's even a Kiwi Fit within 3 miles of the house, but she's persisting with a foot pump. Or rather, she's taking the M2 and then when I need to go out I need to try and pump up a massive off-road tyre with a feckin' foot pump.
Cheers,

Mike.