Tesla or keep the 330e??

McSwede

Tesla or keep the 330e??

Post by McSwede »

I've had my 330e for less than a year but have the option to order a model 3 long range and give my 330e to a new starter. Not sure what to do at the moment so before a have a go in one and look at the practicalities I thought I'd consult the hive mind for feedback. Some (Mito) will have real world experience.

Fire away.
Mito Man

Re: Tesla or keep the 330e??

Post by Mito Man »

You do a massive amount of mileage don’t you? I really recommend you sit in a Model 3 for a good long time to test out the seat.
They’re deceptively comfortable at first but they lack support and can get really tiring after an hour.
How about not having a sig at all?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

BIK must be a massive draw and you get a change !

Assuming you can charge at home and your employer will cover that.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Can you do your mega mileage on the range of a Tesla?
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

I thought you loved your BMWs.... I wouldn't risk a change to an inferior product!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

BiK is less of a draw as it's only about £130 saving but the idea of getting something different is always appealing.

The 330e is a fab car for me as it does everything I need and is cheap to run on weekends (private mileage) as I use almost no petrol. The sensible part of me says keep the 3 but my stupid side says change.

The model 3 long range is probably to only car (on my list) that makes sense due to its decent range and charging network. I'll see if I can get one on demo for a few days or hire one to see if I like it.

With regards to work paying for the leccy usage.... No they won't. It'd be a mileage rate but I'm exploring options with them and any tax implications involved.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

The 5p per mile company car allowance would show a profit on a octopus go tariff as its circa 1.75p per mile. If you can switch some dishwasher/tumble dryer use as well man maths add up 😂

Some employers are fitting chargers and funding on the go expenses as the mileage rate from home is favourable ?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Carlos wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:42 pm The 5p per mile company car allowance would show a profit on a octopus go tariff as its circa 1.75p per mile. If you can switch some dishwasher/tumble dryer use as well man maths add up 😂

Some employers are fitting chargers and funding on the go expenses as the mileage rate from home is favourable ?
Stuck with Shell and going to 27p kWh as of 1st July 🙁
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Check with your normal driving habits. A colleague couldn’t do a project in Scotland as he would need another overnight stay as he would hit his driving hours limits otherwise.

Dave!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I'd be tempted to keep the 330e - the Tesla is much less practical with its saloon boot, not as fun to drive and with your mileage, you're bound to get caught out with the range and charging. I also suspect the very beneficial BIK is going to ramp up pretty quickly, though it's never going to be more than the 330e so probably not an issue.

Having said that, if you do get the Tesla I'd be interested to know how much the range affects you.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:30 am I'd be tempted to keep the 330e - the Tesla is much less practical with its saloon boot, not as fun to drive and with your mileage, you're bound to get caught out with the range and charging. I also suspect the very beneficial BIK is going to ramp up pretty quickly, though it's never going to be more than the 330e so probably not an issue.

Having said that, if you do get the Tesla I'd be interested to know how much the range affects you.
They very thoughts I've been having Simon. I'm going need the use of one for a couple of weeks to see how it stacks up in the real world.
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:22 pm You do a massive amount of mileage don’t you? I really recommend you sit in a Model 3 for a good long time to test out the seat.
They’re deceptively comfortable at first but they lack support and can get really tiring after an hour.
Do Tesla still make their own seats?
They feel like a poor copy of a volvo seat - As Mito said they feel good on a test drive but there's something about the padding that doesn't give continued support. Having said that, depending on your build/height, if a BMW seat doesn't have the optional lumbar support they can become tiring on a long drive (model dependant).
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:30 am I'd be tempted to keep the 330e - the Tesla is much less practical with its saloon boot, not as fun to drive and with your mileage, you're bound to get caught out with the range and charging. I also suspect the very beneficial BIK is going to ramp up pretty quickly, though it's never going to be more than the 330e so probably not an issue.

from what I've read/seen, the Tesla will be more fun to drive than the 330e - if you're comfortable with the range then I'd go for that.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:58 am

from what I've read/seen, the Tesla will be more fun to drive than the 330e - if you're comfortable with the range then I'd go for that.
"The Model 3 rolls only a little more but makes you feel every degree in your more lofty driving position and it also has more to do to rein in its body movements. It rides comfortably but ultimately the BMW is the more satisfying driver’s car by a decisive margin, although you probably do need to get out of town to appreciate it. "

Not my words; the words of Autocar magazine.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

e-tron GT?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

mr_jon wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:50 pme-tron GT?
Employer doesn't apply evonomics in the same way that I may enjoy 😁