End of an era

Nefarious

End of an era

Post by Nefarious »

Today, I agreed a sale of the Formula Ford :cry:

The game was over. The championship has been cancelled due to shortage of numbers and catastrophic mismanagement (some might say deliberate) by the club.
In truth, I was probably coming towards the end anyway. The last two races with the national boys served as a strong reminder that you really need to be a 17 year old psychopath with a rich daddy to truly excel in this discipline.
We've done alright over the years, and two second places in the Scottish championship in 2019 and 2021 show we did a decent job of taking the fight to the professional teams. Not bad for a couple of idiots and a battered old toolbox ;)

New challenges await in the form of Minis, and who knows what else (the laws of physics do not allow garage spaces to remain empty for long).

On the plus side, I now also have a pocket full of money. But as the saying goes, racecars get you through the times of no money better than money gets you through the times of no racecars ;)
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
duncs500

Re: End of an era

Post by duncs500 »

:cry: Sad times, but seemed like a great experience, and was interesting to read about. You guys did a great job. Looking forward to hearing about your next adventure.
mik

Post by mik »

Entirely logical in the circumstances, but not easy when your hand has effectively been forced. :(
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Not a bad run at all and tons of experience earned, nicely done.

Dave!
scotta

Post by scotta »

Sad and bittersweet. 8 years playing at FF didn't seem like it would end like this. Especially when you visit an away round with 35+ cars on the grids.

But - Onwards. We have plans and racing the mini's is fucking epic.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Yep, sorry to see that Neil and all those involved. But looking forward to seeing your further Mini Adventures.
Left over crest; tightens.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Nefarious wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:23 pm The championship has been cancelled due to ... catastrophic mismanagement (some might say deliberate) by the club.

I remember you talking about that months back, had hoped that wouldn't be a thing now :(
Mixed blessings having the decision made for you but at least it's swiftly dealt with. I wouldn't rule out the next purchase having wings (or a rotor).
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Anyone else thinking “8 years!! :o :shock:

Shame though but completely understand why
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
mik

Post by mik »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:15 pm Anyone else thinking “8 years!! :o :shock:
I remember going up with @Maurice to see Race1. There is a great spot on the infield at Knockhill where - if it isn’t too busy - you can see about 90% of the track. It’s quite exposed to the wind though - and I do recall a discussion between us involving the phrase “it’s fuckin’ Baltic”
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Re. the timeline - I signed up in late 2012 and prepped the car under the guidance of Barry and Tim. My first race was early 2013. Barry retired at the end of 2013, I bought the car and all the kit, persuaded Scott to swap his camera for some spanners, and Strong Broo was born. First race under the SB team was beginning of 2014.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Ah, what a shame. I love coming to see you guys race. It doesn't seem long ago we came along but we had the Yeti and the boy was tiny so was probably 2014/15! Always meant to come back but never quite managed it.

Is the Mini racing still Knockhill as I would love to come cheer you on (especially if cakes) and my lad loves Minis.

Well done to you both though. You raced in singles seaters and that will never not be cool! 8-)
scotta

Post by scotta »

Gavin wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:08 am Ah, what a shame. I love coming to see you guys race. It doesn't seem long ago we came along but we had the Yeti and the boy was tiny so was probably 2014/15! Always meant to come back but never quite managed it.

Is the Mini racing still Knockhill as I would love to come cheer you on (especially if cakes) and my lad loves Minis.

Well done to you both though. You raced in singles seaters and that will never not be cool! 8-)
Yes still at knockhill - we are still using your cake tin :lol: