Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Camping trailers and towing them

Post by Rich B »

How many of you are going?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Edit: @dinny_g

Why is it €13000 for something which looks like it can be knocked up in a shed over a couple of weekends?

I was looking for an old trailer to do a tiny house build but looking for inspiration online and I think maybe I should just make a business out of it
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26521144781 ... B53226155&
£15k for a shed on a trailer :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Why not pick up a trailer tent or folding camper of eBay for a try. They seem easy enough to move on when your done ?
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Loads of comments, thanks.

There'd be 4 of us. We looked at tents today. This one looked a decent size - big enough so the kids can be in separate 'rooms' so might sleep a bit better than sharing, leading to us getting more sleep too.
I expect the pack inside this box to be the size of the box!
2022-05-30 15.11.51 copy.jpg
2022-05-30 15.11.51 copy.jpg (281.81 KiB) Viewed 583 times
It might be able to go on end on one side of the boot, but I don't think everything else will fit in there and a roof box, even completely removing the middle rear seat and packing up to the roof.

Top evonomics with those Roam trailers! Trailer tent.... my parents had one of those years ago, then a caravan.
Steve, thanks for the trailer offer. I remembered a chap across the road from has one - not sure I've ever seen him use it and his current car - a new MG ZS EV - doesn't have a towbar.
Last edited by JonMad on Tue May 31, 2022 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Left over crest; tightens.
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

I'll have a look at the trailer tents, thanks.

Tow bars - swan neck? flange? Any reason to get one that's detachable apart from cosmetics?
mik

Post by mik »

Only really cosmetics and avoiding having something solid hanging out the back - not really an issue if you have a rear camera and/or sensors.
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

ta, yep, have rear sensors.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

You could get one decent size tent for you and two smaller ones for the kids! That box looked HUGE! 😂
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’m imagining that Too Gear episode where Hammond constructs a tent the size of a house 😂
How about not having a sig at all?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

What Vango tent is it? We've got a Taiga 600xl Airbeam and it takes up nearly a quarter of the boot in the Galaxy. Maybe SJ could do a sideline in renting out the Vito...
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

JonMad wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:41 pm Tow bars - swan neck? flange? Any reason to get one that's detachable apart from cosmetics?
Do you have shins ? Shins are a reason to get a detachable tow bar.
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

DeskJockey wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:30 pm What Vango tent is it? We've got a Taiga 600xl Airbeam and it takes up nearly a quarter of the boot in the Galaxy. Maybe SJ could do a sideline in renting out the Vito...
It’s a Ventanas Air 650XL.

A Vito would do the trick, for sure :D

Shins, fair point. Maybe knee height on Mrs. Mad.
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

Rich B wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:21 pm You could get one decent size tent for you and two smaller ones for the kids! That box looked HUGE! 😂
Did think about that. Will ask the kids what they think to the idea, or just the older one on her own maybe.
That does also mean two (or three) tents to put up and down rather than one air one.
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

DeskJockey wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:30 pm What Vango tent is it? We've got a Taiga 600xl Airbeam
Do you like it?
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

We easily fill the Stepwgn and a roof box when we go away, and now the kids are asking to take bikes too. Modern air tents are great but the pack size is big and you can’t just split out the poles and stuff them somewhere else.

Trailers are ace if you have somewhere secure and preferably dry to keep them - leave 90% of your kit in there, when you go away just hitch up, chuck some clothes/food in the boot and go. A mate does that now as three kids and a dog in an SMax doesn’t work even with a roof box and slimming down what they take.

I’ve been eyeing up Anssems but not cheap.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Don't forget you'll need airbeds if you want to stand a chance of sleeping.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

JonMad wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:53 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:30 pm What Vango tent is it? We've got a Taiga 600xl Airbeam
Do you like it?
Yes, it was a massive improvement over what we had and made camping less complicated. For me the key feature is how easily and quickly it goes up. It has made a big difference. Downside is how much space it takes up.

Yours looks like it has most of what ours is missing in space and features.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
John

Post by John »

If you buy a used trailer check the tyres. I saw one shred a tyre on the M1 on Sunday, no hard shoulder on that section either.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Both lovely Vango tents…

But I really don’t like the design on just about ALL large tents these days. The “half internal, half external” covered space

Just run the internal space all the way to the front. The large front door can have side panels so you can still sit in the dry on rainy days with plenty of fresh air coming in.

Oh and to both of you, get a carpet for the interior space, if you haven’t already. Transform the space
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

dinny_g wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:04 am Both lovely Vango tents…

But I really don’t like the design on just about ALL large tents these days. The “half internal, half external” covered space

Just run the internal space all the way to the front. The large front door can have side panels so you can still sit in the dry on rainy days with plenty of fresh air coming in.

Oh and to both of you, get a carpet for the interior space, if you haven’t already. Transform the space
our old tent had internal space (with built in groundsheet) all the way to the front - it was annoying because you couldn't sit inside with the doors open whilst it rained. Our latest one has a decent covered porch area with the internal area set back so you can sit in with the doors open and not have it fill with rain.