New car thread! Golf content!

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

New car thread! Golf content!

Post by Rich B »

Bye bye golf! 🙋🏻‍♂️
Well, in an entirely predictable (to the point where I said this is what I'd do 2 years ago when I got the golf) sequence of events, I've got another ///M car!

2019 M2 Competition (manual obs) in Hockenheim silver

I've been back and forth over a few cars over the last few months, basic M2, LCI, DCT, etc... even flirted with the idea of an M4/cab, but it always came back to this is what I wanted.

It even fits the ebike in the boot (ish).

Swervin_Mervin

Re: New car thread! Golf content!

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Very nice Rich 8-)

Initial impressions? Particularly compared to the previous 2 M3s.
mik

Post by mik »

And equilibrium returns to the universe.

Nice choice. 8-)
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I'm impressed that the bike fits. Both wheels off - how do you fit them in?

Did you end up just finding one at the right price and jumping on it? The silver looks a lot nicer than the usual BMW artic silver, particularly with the black details.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:56 pm Very nice Rich 8-)

Speed: i don't know if it feels any quicker than the e92, but very familiar in the way it puts the power down - nicely overwhelming the rear tyres and then hooking up. Quick without feeling like you'll die if you dare press the accelerator all the way down!

Handling: difficult to compare, as Ive not had the M3 for so long, but It's not as darty as the golf (which had crazy fast turn in) - the steering is slower in terms of the rack, but it clearly has more in common with the M3 than it does the steering in my wife's F31.

Ride: I don't really care much about ride, but it seems pretty comfortable even without adaptive dampers. The Comp seats are a massive upgrade over the older M2 ones which help.

So far, it's a very nice place to be - though I need to work out the right steering/throttle M modes.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Noice 8-)
How about not having a sig at all?
scotta

Post by scotta »

Rich B wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:13 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:56 pm Very nice Rich 8-)

Speed: i don't know if it feels any quicker than the e92, but very familiar in the way it puts the power down - nicely overwhelming the rear tyres and then hooking up. Quick without feeling like you'll die if you dare press the accelerator all the way down!

Handling: difficult to compare, as Ive not had the M3 for so long, but It's not as darty as the golf (which had crazy fast turn in) - the steering is slower in terms of the rack, but it clearly has more in common with the M3 than it does the steering in my wife's F31.

Ride: I don't really care much about ride, but it seems pretty comfortable even without adaptive dampers. The Comp seats are a massive upgrade over the older M2 ones which help.

So far, it's a very nice place to be - though I need to work out the right steering/throttle M modes.
Nice choice.

I Found a massive difference between my M240i steering and the 435d X-Drive courtesy car i had. The M240 steering has a much quicker rack.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:08 pm I'm impressed that the bike fits. Both wheels off - how do you fit them in?

Did you end up just finding one at the right price and jumping on it? The silver looks a lot nicer than the usual BMW artic silver, particularly with the black details.
yep, both wheels off and back in first and it just clears. Would be much easier if I didn't have a lock stop on the steering though...

I've been watching loads, I've seen a few in dealerships and tested a few (a manual M2 and a DCT comp). I'd not driven a manual comp, but knew from the others that would be the right combo (I hated the DCT gearbox). I ended up buying online as a nice one came up.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Cool car, it looks very nice and has a playful aggression... if Nike Air Max trainers were a car, they'd be this.

Also, the colour is really interesting, it looks like metallic version of Pantone cool grey 1, rather than silver.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Great purchase Rich. They look superb!!
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Nice motor. Like the colour too 😎
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Gavster wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:39 pm Cool car, it looks very nice and has a playful aggression... if Nike Air Max trainers were a car, they'd be this.

Also, the colour is really interesting, it looks like metallic version of Pantone cool grey 1, rather than silver.
#i look down at my Nike Air Max's.... ah.

Yeah, the sales studio photos look almost white, in dull outdoor light it looks flat grey and in sunny (I'll have to assume from YouTube videos) it looks sparkly silver.

It was this or sunset orange for me - black is a nightmare to keep clean, white is chavvy and long beach blue is a weird turquloisey mess to me.
Marv

Post by Marv »

J'Approuve! 8-)
Oui, je suis un motard.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Boom! M2 and a Comp no less.
10/10 8-)
Left over crest; tightens.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Congrats Rich! Wheels are particularly nice 8-)
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Interior pics ? If it's black then I'll allow this purchase.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Rich B wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:50 pm
Gavster wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:39 pm Cool car, it looks very nice and has a playful aggression... if Nike Air Max trainers were a car, they'd be this.

#i look down at my Nike Air Max's.... ah.
100% on-brand then :D
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:15 pm Interior pics ? If it's black then I'll allow this purchase.
not a lot of choice in the matter - they come with black with blue detail or black with orange detail. Mine has blue!

Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Outstanding purchase.

What’s the gearing like? (max for 2rd & 3rd, motorway speed rpm etc)

Has FECPOTY 2021 voting closed yet?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Rich B wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:56 pm not a lot of choice in the matter - they come with black with blue detail or black with orange detail. Mine has blue!
Ah, blue. Like a mole. Approved.