New car thread! Golf content!

Maurice

Re: New car thread! Golf content!

Post by Maurice »

mik wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:28 am
V8Granite wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:26 am Again the forum fairies provide correctly engined cars.

Dave!
@Maurice and @Rich B - the forum fairies.
Fitted my “Powered by Fairy Dust” stickers at the weekend. PM me Rich and I’ll send you a set.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Matty wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:42 pm Edit...is it fibre or fiber?
I think it depends which side of the Atlantic you live.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Maurice wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:43 am
mik wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:28 am
V8Granite wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:26 am Again the forum fairies provide correctly engined cars.

Dave!
@Maurice and @Rich B - the forum fairies.
Fitted my “Powered by Fairy Dust” stickers at the weekend. PM me Rich and I’ll send you a set.
will do - can I have extra sparkle??! 🧚‍♀️
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Maybe predictable but at least you tried the different variants 8-) Colour sounds interesting, you'll have to put pics up in the different seasons & light.
Good job you bought it outright and not on PCP.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Looks awesome - congrats, Rich. Sure its a nice feeling getting back into a RWD sports car after the Golf :)
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Interestingly enough, the M2 is only around 6/7mpg down on the (what I considered to be very frugal) Golf. My normal daily commuting driving style tends to consist of full throttle blasts whenever possible (slip roads, tlgp, clear B roads) interspersed with basically hypermiling when traffic kicks in (just for something to "do".)

I used to get around 36/37mpg on my typical journey in the Golf - the M2 was 30mpg today. Very respectable imo - nice to know it can do sensible numbers - the M3 would struggle to get in the 20s!
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Had my now monthly call about selling the M4, I still want the M3 touring but Adam Towler’s write up (https://www.evo.co.uk/bmw/m3/204364/bmw ... heel-drive ) makes me wonder if I could just buy an M3 and put one of those rear seat cover on for the dogs and get an M3 now..

Once you have M cars under your skin, it’s very hard to stop! 😂
Cheers,

Ian
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Looks smart. I was at my local Tesco and there was a load of wee boy racers hanging around and a few zoomed off revving their 1.3 engines. I could heard something subtle and couldn't see which car it was coming from.... turned out there was an M2 behind a 4x4 with a grown up in it. Sounded lovely and the proportions are just spot on.

Will FECPOTY 2021 have a 7 seater category as I might be in with a slim chance of that :D
mik

Post by mik »

No idea if this is of interest @Rich B , but posting just in case.

Marv

Post by Marv »

Gonna have to sell quite a few RichBShortz(TM) to afford that!
Oui, je suis un motard.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Yeah, I'm about £3500 short of that I reckon!
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Ive spent a couple of months with the M2 now, it definitely demands a bit of respect on the slippery winter roads - it'll light up the rear tyres without much provoking so I've been driving fairly gingerly most of the time.

When you do get the opportunity, it's great fun and obviously quick though - I absolutely destroyed a new Audi TT (presumably similar performance to my GTI) who accelerated hard round and off a roundabout yesterday - it was fun to see the performance gap. I've not had all that many chances to explore the handling limits yet though with the cold roads, but It goes sideways very easily - sometimes a little too easy - especially as it gets up to speed quickly.

The normal commuting has been interesting to see the economy (or lack). I have two routes to/home from work, one is 17 miles and normal roads with a couple of fun bits (24-25mpg), one is 25 miles and all a road and motorway (31-32mpg). I did the maths, and the more economical one uses just as much petrol, so I take the shorter fun way. I also did Birmingham and back yesterday and averaged 28mpg. Overall it averages 25mpg - not great, but better than the e92!

Bad points - the posh pedal covers are slippery when damp, the sat nav is a bit vague, the exhaust is a bit quiet, I can't get the mirror to dip in reverse...

none of these really matter though - as it has wide arches and puts a huge smile on my face whenever I use full throttle. It'll be loads of fun in spring/summer!
mik

Post by mik »

What tyres is it on Rich?

And where is the e-start video?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:17 pm What tyres is it on Rich?

And where is the e-start video?
pilot super sports.

yeah, I'll rectify this ASAP - it'll just be spinning tyres at the moment - it doesn't like the cold roads at all!
mik

Post by mik »

That’s Supersports. Warm and dry - they are superb. Below 5DegC they resemble bars of soap and the breakaway is snappy as fuck.

MPS4S infinitely (possibly a slight exaggeration) better in cold temps.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Yeah, they were fine in November when it was mild - they're useless at the moment! There's definitely a cut off point - like you say, somewhere around 5°.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Dipping mirror - select the other wing mirror and then try. One position keeps near side mirror up and the other dips it..

Oh, and 5mph makes a huge difference on the motorway.. 70mph - 33.2mpg, 75 - 29!
Cheers,

Ian
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Agree on the supersports. Made my car useless in winter and not able to go fast at all.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

IanF wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:27 am Oh, and 5mph makes a huge difference on the motorway.. 70mph - 33.2mpg, 75 - 29!
Indeedy. And it also make naff-all difference to the journey time.