Another WHT

Nefarious

Another WHT

Post by Nefarious »

For those not following Strong Broo on FB, I'm just back from Silverstone for the Walter Hayes Trophy.

This is the race that my friend Colin was injured in last year. Despite our best efforts, we could get his race licence sorted in time to allow him to drive (delays with the neurologist appointments), so he and I did it as a 2-man team.

Results were only so-so - I made a mistake with spring rates early on, went down a wrong rabbit hole and never quite got the set-up right, plus I made an arse of qualifying, which made everything tricky from then on. I made it through to the semis, but no final this year.

But the whole thing wasn't really about the results - the primary aim was Colin feeling like he was an active participant and getting back involved, and in that sense it was a stonking success. We must've had 150-200 visitors to the garage - the great and good of british motorsport, which was amazing to see.

The fight to get Colin back in a racecar continues, and hopefully next year, we'll be a 2-car team.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
mik

Re: Another WHT

Post by mik »

Nefarious wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:53 am
This is the race that my friend Colin was injured in last year. Despite our best efforts, we could get his race licence sorted in time to allow him to drive
I assume “could not.”

Nice one - I hadn’t realised Colin was with you. Must have been difficult (for all). :( A decent result just to get through that. Must be nice getting the car onto non-Knockhill tarmac though.

I won’t mention the crotchless jeans if you don’t. ;)
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

mik wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:18 am I won’t mention the crotchless jeans if you don’t. ;)
Yeah, that was a bit unfortunate 🤣 Tore them on the first night while unloading, and didn't have any spares, other than my race kit!

It was a bit challenging - I was basically flying solo - but the mechanical workload was thankfully light (first time at WHT I've not had either an engine or a gearbox in bits!)
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

8-) Decent of the oily bits to play along. With so many visitors it almost seems fortunate Colin's licence didn't come through.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Nefarious wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:53 am Image
I'm not an expert but I don't think that's what is meant by corner waiting on a racecar. :lol:

It's a good show to get down there and get Colin back into it. 8-) How are the mods to fit Colin's simply enormous balls into the car going?
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:32 pm How are the mods to fit Colin's simply enormous balls into the car going?
:lol: :lol: good point, we're going to have to look at that!

In all seriousness, the modifications have been tricky because his issues keep changing - as his stumps heal/shrink, he keeps getting new prosthetics, and different ones allow different movements, but also cause different problems. Back in June, the key issue was the degree of hip movement on his clutch leg; his next set of legs improved that problem, but caused soreness problems in the shin (or whatever you call that bit on the front immediately below the knee). He's got another new set of legs coming tomorrow (all carbon fibre and titanium, don't you know ;-) ), so we'll see what the new capabilities and challenges are. He really wants to keep things as unmodified as possible...
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Nefarious wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:29 pm
Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:32 pm How are the mods to fit Colin's simply enormous balls into the car going?
:lol: :lol: good point, we're going to have to look at that!

In all seriousness, the modifications have been tricky because his issues keep changing - as his stumps heal/shrink, he keeps getting new prosthetics, and different ones allow different movements, but also cause different problems. Back in June, the key issue was the degree of hip movement on his clutch leg; his next set of legs improved that problem, but caused soreness problems in the shin (or whatever you call that bit on the front immediately below the knee). He's got another new set of legs coming tomorrow (all carbon fibre and titanium, don't you know ;-) ), so we'll see what the new capabilities and challenges are. He really wants to keep things as unmodified as possible...
Knowing you, you're probably loving the challenge and the fact you're helping a mate.

Is there any adjustability within the pedals?
Banal Vapid Platitudes