Guess the repair bill

DeskJockey

Re: Guess the repair bill

Post by DeskJockey »

Hope you're okay! Can't comment on the price, but be very thorough in checking what they've done and the quality of it (as per my story with the Zoe).
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Simon wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:41 pm When my Mondeo was written off in a head-on accident back in 2016 I didn't really feel the pain until a few days later. Make sure you get yourself checked out just to be sure, if that happens.

I got a few rounds of physio (on their insurance) to get the full range of movement back in my neck over the course of a few weeks.
This and got similar money when the 9-3 wagon was rear ended. The polo that the other driver was driving was utterly destroyed though to be fair and I also had my brakes off as I was about to move on.
Had upper back pain to start which physio sorted and once that was cured it moved down to the lower back for good measure and was even worse.
All sorted with good physio though.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

:evil:

Hope it’s just a sore neck and nothing else!
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Ouch! The nausea that goes with whiplash is horrid.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Whiplash is a bitch, I still get aches and pains in my shoulders and neck when I’m really run down or been out in the cold for too long and that’s from an accident 9 1/2 years ago.

As for the repair bill I won’t be surprised is the insurance company just tried to write it off 🙄
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Yeah, I reckon they'll write the car off.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Hope the whiplash isn't too bad.

I'm going to say not much change from 3 grand.
Cheers,

Mike.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I don't really want the car written off, I rather like it, but OTOH I've been mumbling about selling it for a while so that would force my hand and possibly do me a favour overall.

Today's progress update - nothing. I called my insurers on Saturday after it happened, by which time it was after hours, and spoke to someone who took all the details and told me someone would be in touch today. They haven't. I assume there's always a backlog of cases on a Monday morning and mine's not a big deal so it's not got to the top of the list yet. I'm thinking of calling one of those accident management places tomorrow. See if they can get it all sorted out quickly.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

In terms of whiplash injuries, it turns out the law changed in May to clamp down on the previous rampant abuse. Now, for injuries lasting less than three months the limit I can claim is.... £240. And you are now required (it's specified in the regs below) to get a report from MedCo Registration Solutions to support it. The cost of the report appears to be.... £180.

I would hope that's recoverable from the other party but still it appears I have to put myself £180 out of pocket for gawd knows how long while the insurance people faff about arguing with each other.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2021/9780348220612
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Not a penny should go on whiplash, just the treatment of it and any costs incurred due to it. It should never be seen as an easy pay day.

Dave!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I’m sure we’ve all noticed our insurance bills dropping like stones due to all the money the companies will save is false whiplash claim payouts :lol:
Cheers, Harry
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Update. I made a point of insisting it goes to a BMW-Approved body shop. I was told the body shop would be in touch with me today. I was expecting a phone call tbh, to arrange when to drop the car off, but instead I got a stock email from them at 17:23:

Here is a list of all images needed in order for us to put an estimate together.

• As many images of the area of damage at least 5 if possible
• Mileage with engine running
• Front profile of vehicle
• Rear profile of vehicle
• Chassis number (under the wiper blade on passenger side front windscreen)
• Both side profiles
• Tyre size (if damage is close to the wheel/tyre area) - e.g. 195/55 R16
• Picture with the Bonnet open (in case of damage to Bumper Grille/Headlamps)
• THE VEHICLE MUST BE CLEAN

Once we have received these and repairs have been authorised, we can arrange a booking date.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

So they are planning to do an estimate without even seeing the car in person while *I* have to go and spend my time washing the car and taking photos for them. A BMW-Approved body shop. It doesn't feel like BMW-level customer service. I am not impressed so far.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

THE VEHICLE MUST BE CLEAN

:shock:

Makes you wonder what sort of state some cars turn up in? I imagine "clean" has a broad definition; most people probably wipe a sponge over it and call the job a good 'un.
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

Parents were hit 2x in space of 4 weeks - last parked outside their house. The picture faff seems standard practice for some insurance c's.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Photos have been provided to the body shop. I await their verdict with bated breath. I'm now expecting this to go all or nothing:

a) Something absurd - £5k or more - that will see the car written off.

b) Something superficially sensible - under £500 - but they'll do the cheapest possible "smart" repair and the paint will fall off in six months' time.

Final answer next week I hope !
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

It'll be option 2 followed by option 1 with an "oh dear, pictures didn't show...".
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

It'll be a. followed by you buying it back for 10%, smart repair, wbac.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

nuttinnew wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:31 pm It'll be a. followed by you buying it back for 10%, smart repair, wbac.
Would it be a crime to sell a written-off car it to WBAC after the payout but before it shows up on any HPI reports, if you genuinely have no recollection of the accident of the events following it ?

I mean legally a crime.

Ethically......... pfft.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Update !

The body shop is busy and can't look at it until mid January.

:roll:

Maybe I should press for a hire car in the meantime. Like for like, obvs. I wonder how much it costs to hire a 7-Series for two months ???
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:19 am Update !

The body shop is busy and can't look at it until mid January.

:roll:

Maybe I should press for a hire car in the meantime. Like for like, obvs. I wonder how much it costs to hire a 7-Series for two months ???
They sure pulled their finger out when I insisted on a like for like when the 9-3 Aero wagon was rear ended. I don't think a 3 Series M-Sport Touring was cheap for them.