Guess the repair bill

Swervin_Mervin

Re: Guess the repair bill

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:58 pm It's kind of crazy that we still paint cars when it's so costly to fix them, surely precoloured panels could be better. or maybe we do still paint cars because it makes a lot of money!
Don't a lot of the Japanese supply replacement panels/trim pre-painted? I'm sure a bodyshop told me that once.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Gavster wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:35 pm:shock:
Yep, but more surprising to me was that at around 50% of the car's value it's still not nearly enough to write it off. They said my car is valued at £9k-something (I wasn't totally listening) and on that basis repairs up to £7,200 would get approved. So about 75%. It's not a hard & fast limit, it depends on the value of the car, and said as an example that something worth <£1k would get written off regardless. Spending £7k to fix a £9k car seems bonkers to me but hey.

Other updates from today are that the people who were meant to refer it to Sytner last week didn't, and won't. After initially lying to me that they never got the request, when I'd already spoken to one of their colleagues who had confirmed they definitely did receive it and even read it back to me over the phone, he said that he won't phone Sytner to arrange it because his workload is too high and that I'll have to go back to the other place and wait until January or whenever they can fit me in.

This experience so far has been brought to you by BMW Accident Support. I'd assumed that if BMW put their name to it, it would be efficient. Some of the people I've spoken to have been very nice and done their best to help me but as soon as it gets to anyone who actually makes decisions they don't give a flying one.

So in an attempt to cut out the middle man I'm now going direct to the other party's insurer. So far they are very helpful - presumably because letting someone else deal with it will incur them hugely inflated costs over whatever it actually costs. Their client had already spoken to them and accepted responsibility, which is a relief, they have offered me an E-Class as a hire car, and they have a nicely professional portal to upload photos & video. The BMW approved bodyshop originally wanted me to send them photos over whatsapp :roll:

More updates next week ! Bring popcorn !
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:47 pm
New wing mirror was £2000
:shock: