Guess the repair bill

mik

Re: Guess the repair bill

Post by mik »

Ffs.

You can always take it to another body shop of your choice - might forfeit your entitlement to a body shop courtesy car, but it’s not like you’ll be stuck for an alternative vehicle from your fleet, so that might be a better option?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

mik wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:34 am Ffs.

You can always take it to another body shop of your choice - might forfeit your entitlement to a body shop courtesy car, but it’s not like you’ll be stuck for an alternative vehicle from your fleet, so that might be a better option?
That was the body shop of my choice ! It's the closest BMW-approved body shop. It's taken them a week to get back to me to say they're too busy to do it right now. Repeat the process for each BMW-approved body shop, in order of closeness, until I find one with time on their hands ?

And obvs. I don't need a courtesy car. As Carlos says, the threat of having to pay for a like-for-like should focus their minds a little bit.
Last edited by Sundayjumper on Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Can you not just rock up to the bodyshop in person? That's what I did with our 125i a few years back. Chaps at the BMW bodyshop just popped out and did the estimate right there and then and then took all details and liaised with the insurers.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Right. The job is being transferred from Barons Farnborough, to Sytner Sunningdale. And we start the process all over again.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

And remember, just because it’s a BMW bodyshop doesn’t guarantee a good job :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

Indeed. I hate using BMW for anything tbh. Main dealers are shite.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

There's another reassuringly expensive body shop called fastlane in sunninghill too if you're in the area. There's always high end stuff outside so presumably they are capable. I did get a quote from them for respraying my e92 bumper - definitely not the sort of place you go to spend your own money...
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Alex88 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:38 am Indeed. I hate using BMW for anything tbh. Main dealers are shite.
Generally I would agree. However, the bodyshop we used up here were superb. Unnervingly vast, but very good.
mik

Post by mik »

I used to use a small body shop in Glasgow every time mrs mik decided to crudely modify her cars. :?

He became very busy suddenly and I realised he was doing all the bodywork for the local Mercedes dealership. I always wondered whether customers had any idea.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Rich B wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:38 am There's another reassuringly expensive body shop called fastlane in sunninghill too if you're in the area. There's always high end stuff outside so presumably they are capable. I did get a quote from them for respraying my e92 bumper - definitely not the sort of place you go to spend your own money...
Ha! Was just about to say the same thing.. it’s probably where Sytner will take it anyway! 🤣
Cheers,

Ian
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

That would not surprise me in the slightest !

I'm fed up with the whole thing already, it's nearly two weeks since it happened and we have precisely naff-all progress so far. If they can quote me £20k to paint a bumper and consequently write the car off I'll be quite happy.

The possibility of a bad repair and repeat visits to get it sorted and then just accepting a crap job because the whole thing is way too much hard work is giving me flashbacks.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:36 pm That would not surprise me in the slightest !

I'm fed up with the whole thing already, it's nearly two weeks since it happened and we have precisely naff-all progress so far. If they can quote me £20k to paint a bumper and consequently write the car off I'll be quite happy.

The possibility of a bad repair and repeat visits to get it sorted and then just accepting a crap job because the whole thing is way too much hard work is giving me flashbacks.
looking at them - fastlane are an approved bmw body shop.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Rich B wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:41 pm looking at them - fastlane are an approved bmw body shop.
Bingo. I bet that's who it's going to !
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:36 pm I'm fed up with the whole thing already, it's nearly two weeks since it happened and we have precisely naff-all progress so far.
Update @ nearly three weeks: naff-all. The job was passed to Sytner last Friday. I've heard nothing since. Right now I am on hold to talk to someone and have been for over twenty minutes. This is abysmal.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:09 pm When the same happened to my dad in the X5 the repair bill was £5000 just for the bodyshop repair. The physical paint portion of the quote was silly expensive.
Looks like Mito is the winner. The estimate received (based on them looking at photos, not actually viewing the car IRL) is £4600.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

:shock:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I think all the body shops have been watching Harry’s garage and now everyone is charging concours rates :lol:

This is going in on Monday.
New wing mirror was £2000 and to paint it, the door section which the glass mirror exploding chipped and the 6 inch dent above the rear wheel arch is another £6000.

The insurance company thought my dad was taking the piss by taking it to a mate for a quote (as they asked him to take it to whatever bodyshop he wanted) - so ended up sending an insurance assessor round to personally assess. To which he said that £8000 was actually a very fair price :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

It's kind of crazy that we still paint cars when it's so costly to fix them, surely precoloured panels could be better. or maybe we do still paint cars because it makes a lot of money!
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Rich B wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:58 pm surely precoloured panels could be better.
You can have any colour you want, as long as it's black.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

If the manufacturers had found a cheaper way to do it I’m pretty sure they’d already be doing it :lol:
Cheers, Harry