Mito Man

Re: New Daddy - FFRR

Post by Mito Man »

The 911 of SUVs. Still nice though.
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

Just watched this. Good insights from Harry as a bloke who has bought and run FFRR for years…..

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Looks pretty nice to me. Like the latest Evoque, it hasn’t visually changed much at all but is a real step forward under the skin.

Let’s hope they’ve improved the security.
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

And the reliability..

I'm sure I saw an article a while ago where even the JLR boss was saying that the group's constant battles with quality and reliability was an utter joke. Or words to that effect.

Now using a BMW V8 instead of their own 5.0 Supercharged? Yep, definitely sorting that reliability out :lol:

Looks nice but too familiar? Or perhaps the familiarity is what buyers want.... Definitely a 911 style upgrade.

But as I don't want my £100k+ car pinched in 60 seconds by some toerags with a bloomin TV remote, I'm out.
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

JLR direct quote that it's longer than an S-Class and Stagea put together. Mental.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Alex88 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:00 am Now using a BMW V8 instead of their own 5.0 Supercharged? Yep, definitely sorting that reliability out :lol:
Yeah, did amuse me :lol:
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Looking at these two images side by side, while the new one doesn't seem to look very different the detailing is really clean. The windows in particular; the glass seems to completely cover the pillars which is particularly neat. Not watched Harry's vid yet so perhaps he goes into this too.

Can't have been too hard to drive virtually undisguised prototypes around without arousing suspicion, mind :D

ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It's all a bit too smooth for me.

I think the Defender is the sweet spot of the LR/RR range for me these days.
An absolute unit
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Defender is doing the usual JLR thing of looking old already. It's nice but not as nice as the Discovery 4, IMO.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I'm a luddite with LR design tbh. Ideal would be an original L322 RR (before it got the chintzy grille) with modern tech.
An absolute unit
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

The L322 still looks great. Ford engine but pre-chintz is the ideal era I think. Are prices rising due to classic status yet?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:26 am The L322 still looks great. Ford engine but pre-chintz is the ideal era I think. Are prices rising due to classic status yet?
Definitely this. It had a brilliant mix of looks, wheel size and useability. It’s just that the L405 removed so much weight it was a big leap.

It bugs me that they will call it the best off road aswell, it simply isn’t, there is no room for a taller tyre and the sidewalls are far too thin, maybe on their own test tracks but even on a relatively easy off-road place like Tixover I’d be absolutely amazed if you didn’t destroy a tyre trying anything tricky.

Also a self closing door would take a long time to get used to, I’d switch that function off straight away!!

Dave!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

The Autocar article referred to the new RR as having 295mm of ground clearance which can be increased by 145mm. I think nearly a foot as standard increasing to nearly 18" is probably a misreading of the spec sheet, looking at the ride height in photos :lol:
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Enjoyed Harry's vid on it. Can't imagine I'd ever have one, even an old one, but they look a very nice place to be.
23" wheels though :shock:

And whilst it's full of annoying shouty people, this thread was interesting in that it pointed out the battery in the PHEV one is actually the same size as an Ioniq but only gets the car 1/3 as far.

I quite like the idea of a PHEV, but would probably prefer a proper range extender where the drive was fully electric.
Left over crest; tightens.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I like.
mik

Post by mik »

JonMad wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:05 pm And whilst it's full of annoying shouty people, this thread was interesting in that it pointed out the battery in the PHEV one is actually the same size as an Ioniq but only gets the car 1/3 as far.
People shouldn’t really be surprised that moving a massive, heavy, blunt 4wd vehicle (yes the Cd is very impressive, but the important CdA won’t be) is mess efficient than moving someone smaller and lighter along.

This will ensure that haterz will still have plenty of “yeah green but NOT GREEN ENOUGH” targets even once everyone has gone electric.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The fully electric version will need a 250kw battery to get a 300+ Mile real world range :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Alex88 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:00 am And the reliability..

I'm sure I saw an article a while ago where even the JLR boss was saying that the group's constant battles with quality and reliability was an utter joke. Or words to that effect.
I think it was a recent What Car or Autocar survey that had the top 3 most unreliable SUVs as all being Land Rovers. The worse one had something like a 52% failure rate (where failure meant something breaking on the car and it needing an unscheduled trip to the dealer). Basically every category where they could appear they came bottom (or top depending on how you look at it).
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

As mentioned in the Spotted thread, I saw a new FFRR on the M5 this morning. Undisguised but with 'Prototype Vehicle' lettering below the rear number plate. Black paint, black wheels, tints so not really the spec by which to judge how it looks since the detailing was pretty hidden.

However, it was only after it had passed me (not going that much faster, so I had plenty of time to look at it) that I realised it was a new FFRR. The rear end is successful; the lights were on and it would have looked a bit boring if they weren't in all black. Spec a lighter colour, would be my suggestion.

The thing is, it doesn't look new. The detailing may be wonderful on a studio walk-round but it just looks like a minor facelift on the road. This may not be much of a hindrance since the L405 doesn't look particularly out of date, but I was disappointed.