New Addition

Maurice

New Addition

Post by Maurice »

After nearly 4 years of ownership, the Golf R is due to head back to VW at the beginning of November. In spite of several attempts to extend the contract further, VW wouldn’t entertain it and they were asking silly money to purchase it from them.

With that in mind, the clock started ticking to find its replacement as a daily. Noting we’re in the middle of a used car bubble, coupled with the remnants of a fuel shortage crisis still being felt, my shrewd, logical decision making process concluded that now would be the absolutely perfect time to replace the Golf with this

It’s a post facelift 2019 C63 (non-S) in Selenite Grey with black nappa interior. The mid-life refresh brought a host of changes, but most significantly the 9 speed gearbox from the E63 was carried over. Add to that a much more modern infotainment system and the electronic diff being standard fitment for both C63 and C63S after the refresh meant that a post facelift was the aim.

I’ve been eyeing these for the best part of a year now on and off in reality. With V8s days appearing to be very much numbered, and coupled with a change to my commute earlier in the year to <5 miles a day, I finally succumbed to the increasing pangs of big, stupid V8 estate YOLO.

Truth be told I was initially considering C63Ss, however the only additional material items they have over a non-S is (i) an extra 30 odd horses and lbs ft (you can’t really feel the difference), (ii) the 9 stage traction control from the GTR (who cares?), and (iii) active engine mounts (doubt I’ll miss them). For the money they’re currently commanding, they didn’t feel particularly good value in comparison. The right spec of car became more important as a result. Fortunately, this one popped up just a the right time and is as exactly how I would’ve specced it new, had I had the opportunity.

It’s got the benefit of the Premium Plus package, which adds back in the Burmester Surround System, panoramic roof and various other accoutrements. The original owner also specced the S wheels and the carbon interior, both of which are great additions, with the carbon in particularly really lifting the cabin in comparison to some others I’ve driven with simple piano black finishes. It’s also been lowered by 10mm, which I think looks superb, however do acknowledge some may think it looks more at home in a Maccys car park as a result. Another bonus relates to seats - S models come with more racy chairs which whilst looking great, in all honesty feel a bit too much for a daily in my opinion. I failed to really get comfortable in them, so pretty happy this has the more sedate sofas installed, given its use case.

Only picked it up today in frankly hideous weather and therefore haven’t had a chance to assess performance too much, but initial impressions are that it’s fabulous.

It’s brimming with character, and feels several rungs up the ladder in quality when compared with the Golf, as you’d expect. The engine is a complete jewel. Huge performance and surprisingly rev hungry, with the gearbox complimenting it perfectly. It had the traction light flickering in 4th at one point, which made me smile whilst at the same time puckering my posterior for a good while afterwards.

Steering is nicely weighted and accurate, if not the most feelsome (acknowledging that I’m completely spoiled in that department with the Lotus). Reviews seems to criticise them as riding fairly harshly, but with the adaptive dampers set to Comfort it was perfectly pliant to my mind. The car also has the switchable performance exhaust, so needless to say it delivers on the rolling thunder stakes.

Here’s a photo of it in it’s natural habitat.

All in all, I’m secretly happy any hoped for sense of logic regarding a Golf replacement fell apart completely. It’s a total cracker.

8-)
V8Granite

Re: New Addition

Post by V8Granite »

That absolutely rocks!!

It’s a big pile of thumpy greatness.

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

That’s awesome 8-)
How about not having a sig at all?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

They got the styling spot on, rides that balance between under the radar Q car and flashy motor that not many pull off
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Great daily :D 8-) Top marks!
mik

Post by mik »

You already know what I think, but for the avoidance of reader doubt - I declare this to be a most fabulous purchase. 8-)

Merc do tend to make particularly naughty sounding V8’s - I found myself behind an original C43 last week which made me a bit wibbly. :?

PS - how long is it?
/predictable
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

mik wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:37 pm You already know what I think, but for the avoidance of reader doubt - I declare this to be a most fabulous purchase. 8-)

Merc do tend to make particularly naughty sounding V8’s - I found myself behind an original C43 last week which made me a bit wibbly. :?

PS - how long is it?
/predictable
Longer than an S-Class.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Like.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Awesome purchase! 8-) Can I have an interior pic please!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Very nice indeed. Wish my commute was a bit shorter so I could justify a V8.

I hadn’t appreciated how much changed on the facelift. Always thought the W205 generation of C63 wagon was a bit of a wise choice; not particularly chav as the W204 became, a bit more everyday usable but still gloriously bonkers.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Lovely. At least the fuel 'crisis' is over ..... For now :lol:
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Winning! 8-)
Left over crest; tightens.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Like!

I saw a W204 C Class yesterday that someone had grafted the panamera grill on from the FL W205s onwards. Looked totally stupid.

Enjoy it. A great v8 swansong.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

That is teh ballz. Excellent purchase!
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Simon wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:28 pm I saw a W204 C Class yesterday that someone had grafted the panamera grill on from the FL W205s onwards. Looked totally stupid.

No grafting involved, you can actually buy all this stuff to fit them
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

8-) Absolutely tremendous. As real(ish) world two car garages go, I can't think of much to better what you've got now. Legendary choices.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Lovely! 8-)

A dash and interior pic would be appreciated.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Fab choice 8-) 8-)
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

That's awesome 8-) Love it.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
John

Post by John »

Very nice 8-)