Smart 453

speedingfine

Smart 453

Post by speedingfine »

Anyone on here got one? They look fun, despite the reviews telling me they're not 🙄
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Re: Smart 453

Post by Matty »

My mum has one, she loves it. I've driven it, and it's alright. Gearbox is the weakpoint, as they are on all Smarts.

They're much better than the previous gen ones, though.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Yep we have a four four version of the 453. They are good fun but obviously are a hybrid mash up of parts with significant bits from Renault so you have to accept that.

As far as pros and cons I'd say:

Pros:
- incredible turning circle as no driveshafts in the front;
- no road tax and cheap insurance;
- quirky looking and a different option to run of the mill superminis (has leather heated seats for example);
- ingenious interior packaging (we got a 10 foot christmas tree in it last year and I've had a full set of 911 alloys and a wooden pallet in it!);
- will do 50+mpg on a longer run; and
- little triple cylinder turbo makes a fun sound.

Cons:
- small wheels exacerbate imperfections in the road and send a big jolt though the chassis;
- will do 50mpg as above but around town this will fall to sub 30 mpg;
- totally unsuitable for motorways trips given its tall profile and wheelbase - feels a bit like a death trap;
- gearbox technically a DCT/DSG but I expect it is french in origin and thus crap compared to VAG stuff - will roll back on hills like a semi-auto and generally dim-witted; and
- no DAB radio which is odd for a 4 year old car.
Last edited by GG. on Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

The old ones had automated manuals I think, these have a DCT type auto from Renault.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

The 453 has a different auto box to the earlier cars and you can get a manuel.

I test drove an electric version recently and it drove great and had a surprising amount of room inside the cabin but the range was dire.

I'd have a petrol one if i could get away with a 2 seat run around.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Rich B wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:41 pm The old ones had automated manuals I think, these have a DCT type auto from Renault.
Yes that's correct - a big step on from the prior box in the 451. I drove one of my friend's 451 fortwo years ago and it was like a dodgem in that the transmission losses would cause it to slow down when you took your foot of the accelerator :lol:

Still very far from a quality German PDK/DCT though the shifts are quick - its more low speed that's the issue - combined with a hypermile programming for the standard shift setting.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Cheers gents, saw the 60 mile real world range for the electric one, bit ridiculous!

Shame to hear the auto isn't that good, apparently the manuel isn't very good either.

Always liked the look of them, especially the MK3. I see you can chip the turbo too, 118bhp must be quite sprightly in a ForTwo :mrgreen: