The "What next?" Thread...

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: The "What next?" Thread...

Post by Rich B »

Beany wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:22 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:49 am
Beany wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:34 am Used Focus ST wagon?
we looked at them for the wife 5 years ago - not really a me car - I should have said - no fwd unless it's an amazing car.
Integra Type R. ;)
the car I should have bought 15 years ago when I got a new CTR.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Rich B wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:50 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:49 am we looked at them for the wife 5 years ago - not really a me car - I should have said - no fwd unless it's an amazing car.
Integra Type R. ;)
The new shape Civic Type R is supposedly a great car.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

scotta wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:40 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:50 pm

Integra Type R. ;)
Its a fucking mess though!
scotta

Post by scotta »

Rich B wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:42 pm
scotta wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:40 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:50 pm the car I should have bought 15 years ago when I got a new CTR.
Its a fucking mess though!
:lol: I like it.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Left-field choice, but what about a Kia Stinger?
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

M5? 8-)
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Have you asked how much you can buy the Golf for? Might be much less than you'd pay for one from a dealer so you could potentially buy it, run it for a year and sell it for the same price.

Cars are just too expensive at the moment generally but if the above doesn't appeal, keep checking BMW's approved used site for M2s at least twice a day and buy the first one which looks a good deal.
Holley

Post by Holley »

Get some test drives in. I drove both M2 (non-comp) and a M240 and decided on the latter. Mainly because although at 10/10ths an M2 is the better steer and looks more aggressive, its no quicker, £10k more expensive and rides harder.

For me because the majority of driving is mundane stuff and I don't do track days, it didn't seem worth the extra expense and discomfort (I'm more of a 6/10ths driver anyway).

But have a go in both (am I allowed to suggest that?), you might still prefer the M2 and feel more solid in your decision.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:27 pm keep checking BMW's approved used site for M2s at least twice a day and buy the first one which looks a good deal.
are you watching me?

Re: the golf, I'm actually surprisingly fond of it - what it lacks in straight line speed and sound, it makes up (some) in cornering. It does great mpg and I really like the toys now. I still don't really want it any longer though!
scotta

Post by scotta »

Holley wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:05 pm Get some test drives in. I drove both M2 (non-comp) and a M240 and decided on the latter. Mainly because although at 10/10ths an M2 is the better steer and looks more aggressive, its no quicker, £10k more expensive and rides harder.

For me because the majority of driving is mundane stuff and I don't do track days, it didn't seem worth the extra expense and discomfort (I'm more of a 6/10ths driver anyway).

But have a go in both (am I allowed to suggest that?), you might still prefer the M2 and feel more solid in your decision.
Pretty much why i bought my M240i. Its never going to see a trackday as i have other cars for that and it was £10k less than an M2. I didnt think the M2 was worth the extra outlay. The ZF gearbox is better suited to being a daily.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Holley wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:05 pm Get some test drives in. I drove both M2 (non-comp) and a M240 and decided on the latter. Mainly because although at 10/10ths an M2 is the better steer and looks more aggressive, its no quicker, £10k more expensive and rides harder.

yep, I always test drive cars first. I'm not really interested in a 2 series - I don't like the weedy looks and crap wheels. If I don't go for an M2 id have the practicality of a 1 series I expect. And if I was getting a 1, id not bother with the extra expense of a 40i and just get an older cheaper M135i.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Rich B wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:19 pm

yep, I always test drive cars first. I'm not really interested in a 2 series - I don't like the weedy looks and crap wheels. If I don't go for an M2 id have the practicality of a 1 series I expect. And if I was getting a 1, id not bother with the extra expense of a 40i and just get an older cheaper M135i.
mee aww... :o
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

scotta wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:24 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:19 pm

not supposed to be bitchy, just my thought process on it!
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Just buy an M3.. sorry to be clear, that’s a Tesla Model 3! 🤣 Similar 0-60 as the M2, goes around corners far better than you’d expect due very low c of g, no fuel issues, No ved, year one bollocks etc

Seriously, test drive one

ETA: how much is the i4 M50 monthly?
Cheers,

Ian
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

For anyone considering an M135i or M140i, factor in a few grand for Birds' suspension kit

I cannot say how much better it makes the car.

It transforms it.

If you have a 5 door, get the BMW rear brace fitted at the same time (bizarrely it's standard on 3 doors, and relatively cheap and easy to do when the do the suspension)

In terms of next, I'm really thinking I have to scratch the Porsche itch - not sure yet if that'll mean Boxster, Cayman, or 911

I've never had a convertible, and I'm I'm not a driving god (and so ultimate performance/handling not essential) so maybe a Boxster...
Holley

Post by Holley »

Rich B wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:29 pm
scotta wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:24 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:19 pm yep, I always test drive cars first. I'm not really interested in a 2 series - I don't like the weedy looks and crap wheels. If I don't go for an M2 id have the practicality of a 1 series I expect. And if I was getting a 1, id not bother with the extra expense of a 40i and just get an older cheaper M135i.
not supposed to be bitchy, just my thought process on it!
I get that, I miss the extra practicality of the M135 I owned previously. But there is a step up in quality from M135 to M140 plus a different engine (my M135 engine was knackered) with supposed better reliability.

Dunna why I'm posting this, I think we both know you're getting an M2 :lol:
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

My sister has just ordered and Ioniq 5 btw, on their salary sacrifice scheme

Top spec, big battery, comes with the fitment of an at-home charger, plus 8000 miles worth of credits for public chargers

Because the lease comes out of gross salary, the net cost to them is £370

That's incredible value IMO
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Rich B wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:23 am Option 2 - buy something cheaper with cash (maybe £5-7k) - but who knows what - Clio RS, Fiesta ST, older BMW, ???

Criteria is:

- fast/fun
- able to carry a child seat and a mountain bike (not at the same time).
- usable for c.10-15k miles a year
- wide arches are preferred.
I looked at 130is
I bought a Swift Sport
Neither is an M2 though.
Left over crest; tightens.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Sounds like you need an E92 M3 :lol:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:14 pm
Jobbo wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:27 pm keep checking BMW's approved used site for M2s at least twice a day and buy the first one which looks a good deal.
are you watching me?

Re: the golf, I'm actually surprisingly fond of it - what it lacks in straight line speed and sound, it makes up (some) in cornering. It does great mpg and I really like the toys now. I still don't really want it any longer though!
Do get a quote for buying the Golf though - you might make a few grand profit on it, enough to sweeten the pill of high used prices...

I did exactly what you're doing (checking twice a day) with the Audi approved used site; found my Allroad before it appeared on Auto Trader, advertised for a price which looked like they'd gone by the Glass's guide for a couple of months before, went straight to see it and snapped it up. I'm sure there are plenty of savvy people at big main dealer groups but plenty of cars must be taken in and sold without anyone with authority thinking, 'hey, we can milk this one!'