Petrol

Broccers

Petrol

Post by Broccers »

Expensive isn't it. :lol:

I'm glad I don't do huge miles these days else it would bite. 55 quid fill up now 75. Yours?
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Re: Petrol

Post by 16vCento »

Both cars on the road are diesel, and I only put vpower diesel in the Jag, I think its 90 quid to fill that, and about 85 to fill the V60.

V60 did 807 miles off its last tank when we went away for the week, took 61l to fill it, I was very impressed, over 60 mpg! I think the Polestar has made it a lot better on fuel, as well as being quicker.

Jag normally does about 400 miles off 60l if I don't go on any long trips, it's not great on shorter journeys, and I don't drive it with fuel economy in mind tbh.
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

Normally around the £45 - £50 mark I'd say, but I barely fill mine up at the moment. A tank will last me 4-6 weeks, as I'm still working from home and not using the car as much. I normally stick the premium option in as well, so end up paying a bit more for that.

I had a go in my managers Tesla 3 today, and that was an interesting experience - first time in one. It was rapid and it felt quite planted from the passengers seat, but he had a bit of a faff unplugging it. The charging point locked his cable in place and he couldn't remove it. Had to call up the provider to get them to reset the point so he could get his cable back. Based on that, I still think I'll be keeping the petrol car for a while.
mik

Post by mik »

I dropped a load of stones down my filler cap.

It used to be £60 to fill the tank.

Now it is only £50 - despite the fact the price of fuel has apparently gone up.

ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Should've blown up a balloon in the tank, then when the price comes back down you can reap the savings.
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

Damn you @ZedLeg and your superior intellect. :(

nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:50 pm Should've blown up a balloon in the tank.

With helium.

You can always have fun on streetview and look at an established local fuel station's prices over the last thirteen years :D
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

nuttinnew wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:21 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:50 pm Should've blown up a balloon in the tank.

With helium.

You can always have fun on streetview and look at an established local fuel station's prices over the last thirteen years :D
When I were a lad a litre of 3 star was 32p 👌
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I did my first ever £100+ tank last week. I think 75 litres is the most I've ever put in a car in one go.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I want to know why you can’t pay for more than £100 of fuel. I can understand why they don’t allow it in many places when you pay in store in case someone does a runner but with pay and pump it’s a bit stupid having to do the whole process twice…
How about not having a sig at all?
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I had that with the Discovery at tesco, stopped on 99.99 on a outside pay at pump 🙄
Simon

Post by Simon »

Because they can only pre-authorise £100 on a card.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

16vCento wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:02 pm I had that with the Discovery at tesco, stopped on 99.99 on a outside pay at pump 🙄
Well done on making it to 99.99. I find it crawls to the flow rate of a mouse pissing once it gets past £98 and I’ve had enough by that point :lol:

Actually that’s another moan, the flow rates on petrol pumps getting ever slower. I guess it’s one way to get people to move to EVs, just make it take 20 minutes to fill the tank…
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Petrol prices aren’t really more than pre-COVID, just more noticeable because it went down to 99p/litre in mid-2020.

I managed a £100 tank in my Merc (680 miles) but can’t quite fit £100 in my Audi (73l tank, 132.7p/litre currently). I don’t know if it’s just because I’m driving relatively sensibly but people do seem to be driving for economy a lot more now.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

The ML is always over £100 to fill, nearer £110 than £100 with a 95 litre tank.
The 500e is a 90 litre tank so was always over £90 once the light comes on.
The Audi is only 65 so normally get 60 litres in.
When I’m next home I’ll fit the additional tank to my Defender so that will be 125 litres in total and a 700 mile range.

Some pumps filling speed is awful but you seem to see it less and less.

Dave!
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

There’s this E10 thing now, that is new.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I’m curious about E10, my very basic understanding of it is it turns what is essentially food into fuel. I’ve seen some mentions of Brazil chopping down rain forests to grow plants to make Ethanol but that may be hippy bollocks.

I do know that the cars won’t do as many miles on a tank though and that sucks.

Dave!
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

V8Granite wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:44 am I do know that the cars won’t do as many miles on a tank though and that sucks.
That's not one I had heard before, most of the reporting I've seen has been around it being more corrosive and some older engines not liking it as a result. It seems to have come on us very quickly; I think I saw a sign at a petrol station about it roughly a month ago and then some reporting in the press in the week before its' introduction. I guarantee you most of the general public will just be picking up the pump and blithely pumping it in without checking about compatibility.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’ve read it can reduce economy by up to 10% depending on the car which is madness.
So we’re putting 10% ethanol in but then losing 10% efficiency compared to the pure stuff. That’s the kind of clever decision making I expect from the government tbh.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Thankfully having two decently frugal cars takes the edge off. If I'd have been in the VXR8 or the AMG I may have had to reconsider my choice of food halls to compensate. £35 to fill with SUL in the VW doing 55-60mpg. £40 to full with SUL in the Alfa doing 40-45mpg.

Petrol prices have fallen by 1p recently. So make the most of that few pence saving. Buy a Double Decker at the till.