EV Thread

V8Granite

Re: EV Thread

Post by V8Granite »

A colleagues ID3 is having a new battery at 500ish miles, this is after having a 3 day update at the dealers.

Dave!
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Yeah, it seems that if a total battery failure is going to happen, it happens early. My Leaf had a new battery at 1k miles.

Still on a 60A main fuse here. 80+ more than fine unless you have a cannabis farm.

I did a 75 mile round trip at the weekend, total cost £3, so the maths still work when home charging.
Holley

Post by Holley »

Love using the i3 and very cheap when home charging. Have considered swapping the M240i for a second electric car but charging outside of home does put me off. Travelling to Oban next week with the family (600 miles) and the last thing I want is additional stress of a less than ideal charging network.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Nah they're a perfect second car, though it feels a bit less like 'cheating' with the rising cost of leccy.
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:23 am
Mito Man wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:20 am Why are you being so cryptic :lol:
its weird isn't it! So it costs about £50 to fill up?
Cos I don’t know. :P

My focus was on getting adequate charge in - not what it cost tbh.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

mr_jon wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:32 am
Still on a 60A main fuse here. 80+ more than fine unless you have a cannabis farm.
Interesting. We were contacted by UK Power Networks for a main fuse upgrade because at 60A they were concerned it might pop if we charged the car and ran the washer/cooker and the electric shower (which was removed three years ago) at the same time.

80A fitted in about two minutes by their engineer.

As an aside: how did they know we had an electric shower? Do you have to register such things when buying them? I've certainly never told them.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mik

Post by mik »

DeskJockey wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:24 pm
As an aside: how did they know we had an electric shower? Do you have to register such things when buying them? I've certainly never told them.
FFS it’s well known that Bill Gates has been putting chips in electric showers for years - the are much bigger than the nanochips in the vaccines cos they are old tech. Monitors all’s sorts - household power useage is collected but only monitored if they are suspicious of you.

Your shower head. Looks like it could be an array of teeny tiny cameras doesn’t it? Exactly. :geek:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:19 pm
Rich B wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:23 am
Mito Man wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:20 am Why are you being so cryptic :lol:
its weird isn't it! So it costs about £50 to fill up?

several hours of waiting around and you weren't even tempted to look at how much it had cost to fill it?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

90kw at 60p a kw is £54 so the price of 8 gallons of diesel.

Therefore at 25mpg the journey would be similar cost to a big ICE SUV when using premium fast chargers that didn't work :lol:

This really divides people lol
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:36 pm
Rich B wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:23 am its weird isn't it! So it costs about £50 to fill up?

several hours of waiting around and you weren't even tempted to look at how much it had cost to fill it?
I glanced at the number, but - well - they just kept increasing…. and I wasn’t focussed on the final number.

I was looking at charge %, charge rate, and range remaining. I already knew it was going to be relatively expensive so I wasn’t focussed on this. I am very sorry, if that helps?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:53 pm
Rich B wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:36 pm

I glanced at the number, but - well - they just kept increasing…. and I wasn’t focussed on the final number.

I was looking at charge %, charge rate, and range remaining. I already knew it was going to be relatively expensive so I wasn’t focussed on this. I am very sorry, if that helps?
a little.
Beany

Post by Beany »

To be fair, I don't think the big Audi thing was ever intended to be a hypermiler, more of 'an electric car that happens to be an Audi' so it not being as efficient as a Tesla or Hyundai Kona or whatever is the efficiency-based cats-meow of the month is hardly a surprise.

I removed a few unintentional electric based puns from that (current, shock, etc). I hate myself.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

mik wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:30 pm
FFS it’s well known that Bill Gates has been putting chips in electric showers for years - the are much bigger than the nanochips in the vaccines cos they are old tech. Monitors all’s sorts - household power useage is collected but only monitored if they are suspicious of you.

Your shower head. Looks like it could be an array of teeny tiny cameras doesn’t it? Exactly. :geek:
Ah. When you explain it like that.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

mr_jon wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:32 am
Interesting. We were contacted by UK Power Networks for a main fuse upgrade because at 60A they were concerned it might pop if we charged the car and ran the washer/cooker and the electric shower (which was removed three years ago) at the same time.

80A fitted in about two minutes by their engineer.

The network wanted to change ours but I got fed up of being dicked about by them, as they needed to change the incoming cable (dig up the garden). The fuse is an old bitumen-covered job that you can't change. Done nearly 10000kW of charging and not melted anything yet. We have a gravity-fed power shower. I guess in theory we could hit 28A if we ran every single appliance in the house? But not likely in all reality.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Hi t was because I have board for the house, a small board for the extension and another for the garage. They assume you will run the lot at once (which they have to) and then say yay or nay.

It’s a pain as I think it will prove to be a problem for a lot of places so wanted to get in early. It could be a deciding factor for home purchases in the future.

Dave!
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Yeah thats why I just self-fitted in the end. Glad I did as the all the ones you got with the grant years ago were shite.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I've only done about 50 miles this week nipping around town and one pedal driving is great fun 8-)

The regenerative braking must be really efficient as the range is still showing 70 miles and 70% battery left, I'm doing so few miles that fuel cost isn't even on the radar but even so its a third of the cost of an efficient city car even on a standard tariff at 17p/kw.

In terms of a different driving experience I'm really enjoying it and its surprising the interest it gets when people notice the rear suicide doors and lack of b post :lol:
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Back from a naughty kidless getaway for the wife and I in 'ull, fair distance from us and didn't get below 55% battery 🤣 Stress-free to drive in the city centre, but still bombed along fine at 80. Paid £3 to park and charged back to 100% for free, so about £3-4 quid's worth based on home rate charging. Unlike years ago there was a lot more competition for the charge bays, we lucked out with an ID3 leaving as we rolled up
Simon

Post by Simon »

This is interesting.

Sure, Marques is in the USA but I imagine a lot of factors and results translate across the pond.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Barry

Post by Barry »

Pretty much all expected that video then, same network issues over the pond as we have. Fix that and they're entirely usable for the majority. The odd hour extra on long distances result offset by the gains in daily use IMO.