EV Thread

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: EV Thread

Post by Rich B »

That's definitely the concern, day to day commuting etc seems a no brainer charging at home, but this would annoy the hell out of me, out of interest, How much did the electrickery at these places cost?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Out of interest, what do you keep in reserve when you want to recharge ?

I either wait till my light comes on or when I’m near a known station and the light is due to come on. So between the cars that’s around 40-50 miles.

If your E-Tron says 207 miles are you aiming for a charger after 160 miles ? I know the Taycan is supposed to be very accurate with range but no idea on other non Tesla’s.

Dave!
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:13 am out of interest, How much did the electrickery at these places cost?
The 50kW “fast” charger was around 30p.

The 350kw (theory) charger was 60p
mik

Post by mik »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:11 am
If your E-Tron says 207 miles are you aiming for a charger after 160 miles ? I know the Taycan is supposed to be very accurate with range but no idea on other non Tesla’s.

Dave!
I was aiming to leave 30 miles in reserve yesterday. Range meter is pretty accurate, but obvs is affected if you decide to blast along at 100 when it hadn’t factored that in.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:59 am
Rich B wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:13 am out of interest, How much did the electrickery at these places cost?

how do these places make any money?
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:39 am

These are per kw prices (I wasn’t clear) so there is profit there. I think many of the installations are (partly?) grant funded too.

And speed is the sales pitch. Which is why they need to deliver the stated claim. The last place we stopped at last night - where I was getting around 50kW from the 350kw unit I tried first. Another bloke came up and used it - had a Nissan (I think) - it was giving him 33kw. So he was understandably pissed off - paying double the kWH rate for a slower charge than he could have got with a 50kW unit elsewhere.
mik

Post by mik »

Also - does nobody else get heebie jeebies by installations at petrol stations? I get the logic, but…

- Hey where shall we put these enormous cables carrying huge electrical currents?

- Over here mate. Beside these massive tanks of inflammable fluids.

:?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

If they can’t get the chargers they already have working properly what hope is there when they expand the network, are you going to have to shuffle around and try 20 different chargers at a service station before you find one that’s not going to mean having to sit there for three hours?

I know it’s the chicken an egg thing, they’re not going to expand the network until there’s the demand, but there’s not going to be the demand until there’s a suitable network in place for people to use. You’d think that now it’s being forced on car manufacturers with an actual date that companies would be rapidly expanding their chargers network to get an early foot it.

I have concerns for home charging too, sure most people don’t have massive commutes every day, but a lot of houses need their wiring upgrades to fit one decent charger, never mind the 2 or 3 some people will need. I’m guessing any grants or subsidies only apply to one chargers per property too?
Cheers, Harry
Marv

Post by Marv »

Yeah, seems very stoopid if you're paying a premium for a faster speed that's not being achieved. Needs to be a regulation come in on that...

I watched that Guy Martin program on Ch4 a few weeks ago, and he pretty much had the same problems as you Mik, when he went to drive to JOG.

Electric Car = awesomez.
Charging infrastructure = less so.

Are Tesla supercchargers generally considered there or abouts with the delivery of promised kWh? If so, Tesla opening their chargers to other manufacturers could be a game changer...wonder if they'll get overcrowded pretty quickly if everyone makes a beeline for them?
Oui, je suis un motard.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:04 am
Rich B wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:39 am

These are per kw prices (I wasn’t clear) so there is profit there. I think many of the installations are (partly?) grant funded too.
i have no idea how many kw are needed - how much did it cost to fill it up at these places?
mik

Post by mik »

E-tron battery is 95kwh
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Why are you being so cryptic :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:20 am Why are you being so cryptic :lol:
its weird isn't it! So it costs about £50 to fill up?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Rich B wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:23 am
wait - £50 to do 200 miles?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Rich B wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:25 am
Rich B wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:23 am
+ sandwiches + tea + coffee
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:30 am
I have concerns for home charging too, sure most people don’t have massive commutes every day, but a lot of houses need their wiring upgrades to fit one decent charger, never mind the 2 or 3 some people will need. I’m guessing any grants or subsidies only apply to one chargers per property too?
Our street aren’t able to increase our fuse size from 85 to the 100amp needed.

Dave!
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Simon wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:02 am "..... but you'd have stopped for a piss break anyway so your journey was about the same...."
Which EV is perfect for the casual cottager? Asking for a friend.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:29 am
Rich B wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:25 am
Rich B wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:23 am its weird isn't it! So it costs about £50 to fill up?
With diesel at £1.35p a litre that’s worse than my Defender and equal to my ML.

For that money it be pissed at not getting 350kw.

Dave!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:30 am If they can’t get the chargers they already have working properly what hope is there when they expand the network, are you going to have to shuffle around and try 20 different chargers at a service station before you find one that’s not going to mean having to sit there for three hours?
I was reading at the weekend about public chargers on a Tesla reader's car thread on PH. I'm quoting below but here's a link to the thread - really interesting to see this chap's experience over a few years with an 85D: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... 664683&i=0

The Superchargers are run in pairs. You can see lettering on the charging stalls. 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc. You plug up like when going to take a leak at the gents wink If possible, don't plug into an xA or xB stall if the other corresponding xB or xA is already in use. The nitty gritty nerdy detail: each big square charging unit by the mains (not where you plug in) has 4x 30kW chargers and they are split across the -A and -B charging stalls. If you arrive empty and there's no one else there, you will get all 4 chargers working for you (giving you up to 120kW, depending on the factors above). If them someone arrives and plugs into the paired cable, he will get 1 of the 4 chargers, so he will be limited to 30kW max, and your max charging speed will drop to 90kW. As your car fills up and the battery's charge speed drops below 90kW, the other car's charge speed will start going up. Of course, if you arrive second at a paired charger and the car on the other one arrived just before you and is nearly empty, he's going to get the majority of the 120kW until he leaves or fills up to a point you can start taking more of what's left of the charger.

I had thought Tesla range was better than that, frankly - I believe the 90D and 100D are notably better than the 85D in real world range but to be honest I think the Taycan, which looks much worse in real world range based on quoted figures, is probably just as good but the car states realistic remaining range not an optimistic figure.

All irrelevant because I seriously went through the process of buying a Model S this time but decided against it. What I hadn't appreciated (I only read the reader's car thread this weekend) was that you have to be a bit of an enthusiast to drive one; there are things which need a certain attitude to deal with because it is still the first mainstream car from a new manufacturer; there are bits which are being developed on your car :lol:

ETA: this reader's car thread about a Taycan puts me off them as well, though:L https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... &t=1907389 :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:57 am
Mito Man wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:29 am
Rich B wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:25 am wait - £50 to do 200 miles?
With diesel at £1.35p a litre that’s worse than my Defender and equal to my ML.

For that money it be pissed at not getting 350kw.

Dave!
I don't know how the Audi system works but with Tesla you only get the full rate of charge with a near flat battery which is also preconditioned. A Model 3 charges at 250kw for about 5 minutes before it becomes unsustainable. Once the battery is at 50% its charging at about 120kw, once the battery is at 80% it's charging at only 60kw.

I've just found this graph of a Model 3 using 3 different chargers which shows it clearly.

and here's a graph of a Taycan charging at a claimed 350kw charger, which I assume is a similar battery to the Audi