EV Thread

MikeHunt

Re: EV Thread

Post by MikeHunt »

The iPace claimed a range of 290 miles but at motorway speeds it was well under 150. Not a huge issue if you usually do short local journeys.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Carlos wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:02 am I'm no EVangelist but you 2 sound like my dad :D

I don't think I've ever driven more than 200 miles without a break of some sort whether that's for a toilet stop, food, drink or just to stretch my legs and if you can do these things in less than 20 minutes particularly with a spouse, kids and dogs in tow it must be like a military operation :lol:
When we travel with friends we question how they spend so much time achieving fuck all on stops :lol:

Dave!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Barry wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:04 pm Everyone fixating on not adapting their driving to suit a small change in routine I see. You should be taking a 30 min break every 150/200 miles in this country, so that's plenty to top up a modern EV to do the same again
30 mins 🤔🤔 No chance. In and out of the services as quick as humanly possible spending no money or as little as possible with the robbing c#nts. I hate having to see cars/trucks that I've already passed again too 😂

Fuel up locally too as I will not pay m/way prices for that.

I'll repeat again that they're robbing c#nts that give you shit facilities and over priced outlets to buy shit food from. (not Tebay FWIW).
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Barry wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:04 pm Everyone fixating on not adapting their driving to suit a small change in routine I see. You should be taking a 30 min break every 150/200 miles in this country, so that's plenty to top up a modern EV to do the same again

That said, there OP said daily sub 100 miles. Even my basic Ioniq will do that easily, without needing to touch the charging network. Charge at home each night.
Our daily mileage is small, we can go a week without touching the car but then a weekend could be lots of miles and the space is needed. They just aren’t flexible enough yet.
We pulled out of the Zoe deal a few years back as there was a question on my wife’s job. Otherwise an electric car would be a perfect runabout. Sadly now legislation is saying we don’t care about your circumstances, an electric car will have to suit you, which is very naive of them.

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

McSwede wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:04 pm
30 mins 🤔🤔 No chance. In and out of the services as quick as humanly possible spending no money or as little as possible with the robbing c#nts. I hate having to see cars/trucks that I've already passed again too 😂

Fuel up locally too as I will not pay m/way prices for that.

I'll repeat again that they're robbing c#nts that give you shit facilities and over priced outlets to buy shit food from. (not Tebay FWIW).
This, I don't mind driving 12 hours straight with just fuel stops. If I do want to stop for lunch I usually pick a nice town off the motorway. Driving on the motorway is just sitting in a comfortable sofa with minimal thinking, what stresses out or tires people so much about it :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Barry

Post by Barry »

I'm not advocating you cough up a fortune for a crap coffee and a Greggs either, nor was I talking about only motorway travelling. How often do you all do 300+ mile trips and don't stop for more than 10minutes? I'd still suggest you should stop for a good rest period, as would most motoring organisation/Popo etc I bet.

I'm not pretending the charging network is fit for purpose yet, but everyone throwing a tantrum because they can't do a rare long distance run, while the EVs even now offer decent daily range to suit most peoples needs. And the occasional long run might need adapting to cater for the network at the moment. It'll change quicker the more EVs hit the roads, simple economies of scale..
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I don’t believe there is an EV that can do a true 200 miles for our use. So we would need to stop for multiple times and change routes accordingly. What large SUVs or Estates are available as an EV ?

Dave!
Simon

Post by Simon »

Baz,

You don't seem to appreciate that (out of pandemic times) there are plenty of people who drive a lot with work. When I need to see a most northerly customer it's about 240 miles each way at the top end, but that isn't rare. I will do it without stopping each way as on the way back stopping will usually push me into the middle of rush hour. And you can't charge for the that distance in just 30 minutes.

And destination charging doesn't work either. "I'm here for my meeting, oh and can I plug my car in please?"

My Mrs could have an electric car for her driving, (mostly, although it's still the family car when we all go away somewhere), but for my use an electric car is a pipe dream.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

V8Granite wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:06 pm I don’t believe there is an EV that can do a true 200 miles for our use. So we would need to stop for multiple times and change routes accordingly. What large SUVs or Estates are available as an EV ?

Dave!
If a Model X is too small I can't see you ever having an EV lol
Barry

Post by Barry »

Simon wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:33 pm Baz,

You don't seem to appreciate that (out of pandemic times) there are plenty of people who drive a lot with work. When I need to see a most northerly customer it's about 240 miles each way at the top end, but that isn't rare. I will do it without stopping each way as on the way back stopping will usually push me into the middle of rush hour. And you can't charge for the that distance in just 30 minutes.

And destination charging doesn't work either. "I'm here for my meeting, oh and can I plug my car in please?"

My Mrs could have an electric car for her driving, (mostly, although it's still the family car when we all go away somewhere), but for my use an electric car is a pipe dream.
My responses are for private use, you're talking about business cases which is obviously a different model. Your average private car owner does a 30 mile commute, and light weekend use, with the occasion longer trip for holidays/whatever. You couldn't use my petrol car for a 480 mile round trip without refuelling it either. There are already EVs that rapid charge at an incredible rate, so we're still just waiting on the network to catch up.

As for destination charging, that'll come in time, it has to. I'm not an EV evangelist trying to get you all onto EVs, I couldn't care less, I just don't understand why people are expecting new EVs to cover everyone's use case, or they write them off..
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Barry wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:58 pm

My responses are for private use, you're talking about business cases which is obviously a different model. Your average private car owner does a 30 mile commute, and light weekend use, with the occasion longer trip for holidays/whatever. You couldn't use my petrol car for a 480 mile round trip without refuelling it either. There are already EVs that rapid charge at an incredible rate, so we're still just waiting on the network to catch up.

As for destination charging, that'll come in time, it has to. I'm not an EV evangelist trying to get you all onto EVs, I couldn't care less, I just don't understand why people are expecting new EVs to cover everyone's use case, or they write them off..
I don't disagree with you as such. An ev would work a treat for my missus and the way she uses a car. For me, much less so if I'm doing 35k per year.

My other issue is my capacity to charge at home. If I'd bought the latest ev and wanted a rapid charger at home I'd probably struggle as my Close probably doesn't have an electricity supply that can cope with that and neither does my house. From where does this infrastructure come form and which poor sod will be paying for it? 😂
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Carlos wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:36 pm
V8Granite wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:06 pm I don’t believe there is an EV that can do a true 200 miles for our use. So we would need to stop for multiple times and change routes accordingly. What large SUVs or Estates are available as an EV ?

Dave!
If a Model X is too small I can't see you ever having an EV lol
It really is, the floor is surprisingly high and the centre seat in the middle can’t fit an adult. The back of my head hits the roof in the taxis I’ve been in and I’m 5 foot 11. It wouldn’t be a problem if you didn’t permanently need the final row of seats down to fit the dog/ dogs.

Dave!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I'm not an EV evangelist trying to get you all onto EVs, I couldn't care less, I just don't understand why people are expecting new EVs to cover everyone's use case, or they write them off..
The problem is the government are doing just that.

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

You need to import a F150 Lightning or wait for the Cybertruck if you need that much space. They’ll probably tow a caravan for 300+ miles too.

A hydrogen car would be nice for the edge case people who don’t have tiny bladders, they just need to fit more stations with it rather than the measly 6 we currently have. Supposedly the gas grid will become hydrogen too so maybe people can fill up at home and the weekly gas explosions will be much more interesting :lol:
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I’m hoping I can have a 500 litre tank for petrol at home in the future for the weekend toy.

Things will improve but it’s not nice when a solution to match your current vehicle is currently not available. This is before price gets put in which is also a big part of the equation.

Dave!
Simon

Post by Simon »

My responses are for private use, you're talking about business cases which is obviously a different model. Your average private car owner does a 30 mile commute, and light weekend use, with the occasion longer trip for holidays/whatever. You couldn't use my petrol car for a 480 mile round trip without refuelling it either.
It's at least 13 years since I've owned a car that _doesn't_ do 480 (motorway) miles on a tank, and I've never owned a diesel.

The problem is that people talk about these 'edge cases' where an EV won't work because of range etc. Sure they are fine for 80% of people for 80% of the time, but look at it this way. I only need 5 seats in my car(s) once in a while, but we don't but just a sports car and rent a 5 seater when we need one. That's crazy.

I also don't need an Estate all the time, but again I don't see the need to get something else and rent an estate when I need one. Etc etc. The car we buy should be able to do what we want for every journey and not think about the compromises we'll need to make on 10% of the journeys that people do. That's also crazy.

I know why we are moving to electric and I hope the problems get ironed out, but right now unless you have more than one car many people can't just swap into one and be happy.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

You fuckers have taken the fun right out of my new purchase.

I think I'm going to knock it on the head until the market can supply:

1. 480 mile range
2. Space for at least 5 100kg people plus 2 dogs and 2 weeks of camping shit.
3. Charge stations every 25 miles able to charge to 100% quicker than my kids can pee.
4. Seats that provide 12 hour comfort.
5. High quality food and hydration preparation built in to the cup holders.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Why can't the solution be outside of the car? Drive your ~200mile range BEV to the nearest railyard and park it in a chunnel style carriage ordered so that first off is at the front and so forth. Car is plugged in to charge the battery and allow uninterrupted listening to Smooth Jazz (other radio stations are available). You disembark 1-30 miles from your destination, go wherever you need to go and then board the train back.

Or do the same, but with a lorry towing 15-20 cars along the motorways. Possibly less efficient than the train but more flexible. The drop in speed is probably negated by the reduction in traffic meaning less slowdowns.

Agree slight changes to timings with customer (if traveling for work), but equally try to avoid traveling for work in the first place.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Carlos wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:16 pm You fuckers have taken the fun right out of my new purchase.

I think I'm going to knock it on the head until the market can supply:

1. 480 mile range
2. Space for at least 5 100kg people plus 2 dogs and 2 weeks of camping shit.
3. Charge stations every 25 miles able to charge to 100% quicker than my kids can pee.
4. Seats that provide 12 hour comfort.
5. High quality food and hydration preparation built in to the cup holders.
I’ve done 350 miles straight in the i3 which was the genius of it. Switched on the range extender after 20 miles which kept the battery around 70% and just continued driving at 85 mph for vast amounts of it. Kept a 10l Jerry can in the frunk for convenience but the range extender would work indefinitely. Stopped off at friend and stayed the night in Sunderland, didn’t need to search for a charger or bother to ask them for electricity or suffer range anxiety or stop every 2 hours for 40 minutes.
Left next evening with battery around 50% and went straight back home with just fuel stops. And it still did over 50 mpg.

I wouldn’t bother doing that in a full EV as it is.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Why are we even pushing for the car to be the CO2 reducer ?

We leave them parked for 90/95% of their lives and when they are needed they need to be flexible and multi-use.

The amount being spent on infrastructure etc could put solar panels on the roof of homes and flats etc. Imagine if every load on a home under say 1.5kw was solely run from battery banks powered by solar and when loads go above that it seemlessly switches to the grid. This technology is well developed and the skills are available to implement it already.

Mumble grumble shouts at clouds.

Dave!