EV Thread

Barry

Re: EV Thread

Post by Barry »

Charger install grant ending next spring apparently, which seems at odds with the big push for EV, but not surprising that this gov makes contradictory decisions.

I'd like to think this just means they stop inflating the price by roughly the cost of the grant, but I won't hold my breath.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

There’s plenty of electricians able and willing to fit charge points but not deal with all the paperwork, the long delay for the money or the risk that the grant wouldn’t be paid and have to recover that from the customer.

The ones that do grant-funded points are rushed off their feet so keep on putting up prices yet are still busier than ever.

The “smart” charger was a grant requirement too, I think most people are better off with a (cheaper) dumb charger and do any off-peak scheduling on the car. That sort are under £300 to buy now and will keep coming down as they sell more and more.

Very glad I got mine in 2018 when it still cost £150 after grant. Also got in before the car grant got cut again this week. Feels like that may not exist by the end of next year either.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Not surprising that they're cutting it, it's done it'll job, they don't need to encourage more people as the momentum is already there.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Was it even needed once anything but full EVs were banned from 2030. You’re going to struggle to buy a new petrol car then :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Barry

Post by Barry »

If/when my charger fails I'll just get a dumb charger fitted anyway, I don't use the smart features and its just a fancy socket at the end of the day.

I've just put in an order on an e-Niro, they assure me as its a pre-ordered car the recent grant drop won't affect it. Wanted a Kona but prices are strong and availability an issue. Niro same car anyway just looks boring, more power than the Ioniq and better range/charging. Another two year experiment but at least it feels like an upgrade.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Left over crest; tightens.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

JonMad wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:56 am New Shell charging station
https://www.shell.co.uk/a-cleaner-energ ... v-hub.html
I expect that filling up there will cost more than petrol!
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Similar per mile to a 55mpg petrol, which you’re unlikely to get around London.

It’s the fastest, premium option though. There’s plenty of ubitricity (slower charging, plugs on lamp posts) around there which is half the cost.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

10 chargers :lol:
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

It’s a pain in London.. I’ve parked many times in Grosvenor Square for £5ph including charging, but then go to King’s Rd in Chelsea and pay double that! Combine that with no notice failures, poor parking so you can’t get near charger and having to now pay cc in a phev and I’m surprised anyone is buying a hybrid right now!
Cheers,

Ian
Simon

Post by Simon »

We don't all live in London Ian ;)
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yep, hybrid owners in London have been fucked over once again. I think EV owners may also get fucked soon as they’re going to introduce a £3 charge to enter the city regardless of what you drive to prop up TFL which is definitely going to need more money following omicron.

Also each council in London has different parking rates. Chelsea and Westminster don’t care if you drive a EV, you still pay the regular fee. Camden is very cheap, I think you pay for 15 mins but it covers 4 hours on an EV.
Diesels pay extra everywhere because they give the little kids tuberculosis.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Not sure if this will embed here, it’s a Facebook video:
mik

Post by mik »

Club meet
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

15 cars waiting for 14 stalls. Probably shorter wait time than most UK motorway services!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

mik wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:49 pmClub meet
I think the only thing more tragic than waiting over an hour to charge your car each time it's a holiday season are the actual Tesla car meets.

"Oh dude pop your frunk"
"Holy shit is that an official Tesla frunk mat"
"Yeah, straight from Elon"
"Make love to me now"
Simon

Post by Simon »

^^^ The entire Tesla fanbase summed up in 4 lines. Qudos.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:15 pm
mik wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:49 pmClub meet
I think the only thing more tragic than waiting over an hour to charge your car each time it's a holiday season are the actual Tesla car meets.

"Oh dude pop your frunk"
"Holy shit is that an official Tesla frunk mat"
"Yeah, straight from Elon"
"Make love to me now"
The front end of teslas remind me of this, especially in white where you can see a “grill” outline but no grill

mik

Post by mik »

jamcg wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:53 pm Image
Exactly what I thought of the first time I saw an image of the all-electric XC40

Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I've done 4000 miles in the i3 now and the novelty still hasn't worn off. I'm still getting 100 miles per charge even when its 0 deg and i'm using preconditioning which is a really nice feature. Jumping into a warm defrosted car makes running my daughter around far more palatable. Warmer weeks were more like 130.

They aren't common here and even my ncg friends are intrigued by the layout and interior. Its surprisingly quick if only to 80 ish and fun to drive. Its rewarding going slow in, not pressing on the front skinny front tyres and using all the weight in the back 2/3's to propel you out of the tight stuff 8-)

Unsurprisingly it does move around with the wind on the motorway and can be a bit noisy at those speeds but that's not really what its about.