L322 or Disco 3??

McSwede

L322 or Disco 3??

Post by McSwede »

Just pondering a big practical family wagon for camping trips and the like (after a great 1st camping trip with wife and daughter). These are the first two things that came to mind. Up to £10

What's hot? What's not? Best engine choice? What to avoid etc.
mik

Re: L322 or Disco 3??

Post by mik »

£10 budget is a tough challenge. :?

Nothing is more versatile than a Disco 3/4.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

The Jeep Grand Cherokee might be worth a look - they’re supposed to be good to drive and fairly reliable.

Example:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 6113721824

I’d probably spend a bit more though, since you quickly get to lower mileage one owner cars. And I’d go for an Overland for the extra kit and air suspension.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

My Discovery 3 cost 900 quid so he's not far off!

I'd go D3, you won't get a good D4 for 10k, I wanted (still want!) a V8 D4, but they are very rarely imported, so I got bored of waiting and bought my XF, as I can't have money sat waiting to be spent 😂

They do, and will go wrong, but everything that does, is now cheap enough to fix, other than Cranks snapping, but that is pretty rare tbh.

I enjoyed the manual box in mine as well, it wasn't bad tbh, the car itself is massive, you easily fit a family of 5, all the stuff you need, and more in

But, the size also made it a pain to park up at the seaside, as it was too long for soooooo many spaces on the roadside, but, I have that same issue with the XF, so it's not a D3 specific massiveness.

Pretty decent on fuel, 33mpg on a run to the coast loaded up, very refined for a big old bus, but don't attack roundabouts at speed if you want to keep it the right way up, if it rained, at low speed you could drive it like a twat, and power oversteer out of every junction, due to the GG AT tyres on mine, they were shite on wet tarmac, no grip at all 😂
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I looked at the D3, not enough power, then looked at the D4 and the 2 people I know with them kept having large bills.

I think a 5 year old version is a very different prospect to a 10 year old one. It’s a 2.7 ton vehicle and wear and tear seems to be very high.

I drove a 3.6tdv8 and a 4.2 supercharged RR 7 years ago now and both broke down on test drives. My spider sense said walk away :lol:

Given the choice, I’d go with a D4 with as much history as possible and every receipt from new. They are about as there are some fastidious owners in the club.

Dave!
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

V10 Touareg. Mine was great. As a useful vehicle as opposed to looking nice or having an excuse to say “Porsche” in conversation it was better than the Cayenne.
davejevons

Post by davejevons »

We have an L322 - ask away if you've got questons?

We chose it over a Disco (Cayenne, Tourag, e500 estate and Legacy) for a few reasons - the ride seemed much smoother on air suspension in the Range Rover. The interior is a better place for long journeys and it was significantly quieter. A D3/4 will be bigger inside and possibly cheaper to fix.

If I was doing more urban miles I might make a different decision as the Range Rover needs lots of motorways or country roads to make sense and can be annoying in cities. We did 500miles last weekend in airport trips and it was fantastic at 2amon the motorway.

They will both do this
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Thanks all for feedback!!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

davejevons wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:26 pm We have an L322 - ask away if you've got questons?

We chose it over a Disco (Cayenne, Tourag, e500 estate and Legacy) for a few reasons - the ride seemed much smoother on air suspension in the Range Rover. The interior is a better place for long journeys and it was significantly quieter. A D3/4 will be bigger inside and possibly cheaper to fix.

If I was doing more urban miles I might make a different decision as the Range Rover needs lots of motorways or country roads to make sense and can be annoying in cities. We did 500miles last weekend in airport trips and it was fantastic at 2amon the motorway.

They will both do this
We live rurally and wife does 20-25 miles a day for school run and work. Probably 80% is NSL roads for cruising.

I'm curious about which engine option is the best. Head says 4.4 tdv8 but it looks significantly more thirsty than the 3.8 V8 or 3.0 i6. I won't be towing just be family and camping stuff on weekends away.

What's the IMS bearing or bore score horror show alternative in the Range/Land Rover world??
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I'd have the 4.4 derv. When looking before getting a boxster eventually it was my choice. They're now about 5k more 3 years later.

Budget creep is latest shape at 24k.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

davejevons wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:26 pm We have an L322 - ask away if you've got questons?

They will both do this
That’s strange way to go to the airport……. :lol:
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

4.4 TDV8 is way more economical with its 8 gears than the 3.6 with its 6 speeds
Real-life Females
davejevons

Post by davejevons »

McSwede wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:42 pm
We live rurally and wife does 20-25 miles a day for school run and work. Probably 80% is NSL roads for cruising.

I'm curious about which engine option is the best. Head says 4.4 tdv8 but it looks significantly more thirsty than the 3.8 V8 or 3.0 i6. I won't be towing just be family and camping stuff on weekends away.

What's the IMS bearing or bore score horror show alternative in the Range/Land Rover world??
The 4.4TDV8 with 8 speed box is better than the 3.6 6-speed - smoother, more powerful and more economical. But it’s a chunk more expensive and the 3.6 is fine. Both engines have minor quirks - turbo hoses, Emissions gubbins (dpf?). Rust and air suspension failure tend to be the big issues. They do go through tyres and brakes faster than you expect due to the weight. The petrol’s seem to have fewer issues, other than the expected thirst. Avoid the early 3.0 diesel - it’s underpowered and they seem to die quickly.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

davejevons wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:28 am
McSwede wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:42 pm

The 4.4TDV8 with 8 speed box is better than the 3.6 6-speed - smoother, more powerful and more economical. But it’s a chunk more expensive and the 3.6 is fine. Both engines have minor quirks - turbo hoses, Emissions gubbins (dpf?). Rust and air suspension failure tend to be the big issues. They do go through tyres and brakes faster than you expect due to the weight. The petrol’s seem to have fewer issues, other than the expected thirst. Avoid the early 3.0 diesel - it’s underpowered and they seem to die quickly.
Thanks 👍
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

You have to consider the numbers too. While 3.6 is pleasing as a double, they don't sit comfortably with 8.

4.4 however does. Therefore that is the correct choice. Science fact.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Can't argue with science but I'd suggest that a whole number is even more preferable, so the only choice is the 5.0 petrol V8.
An absolute unit
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

As an aside, I didn't think my D3 was underpowered, certainly quick enough to overtake things safely, and would sit at 95-100 without complaint.

I wouldn't have wanted more power in many situations in it.

I found it made me drive slower, not due to being underpowered, but by being a relaxing place to be, it's a very different driving experience.

I've driven almost every iteration of JLRs products, and the D3/4 is one of my favourites.

I'd have one over a D5 or a new Defender.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:32 pm Can't argue with science but I'd suggest that a whole number is even more preferable, so the only choice is the 5.0 petrol V8.
Numerically less pleasing, but aurally superior, so acceptable.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

V8 disco, over budget though- unless you apply evonomics then it’s fine

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 5283206485
mik

Post by mik »

jamcg wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:35 pm V8 disco, over budget though- unless you apply evonomics then it’s fine

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 5283206485
That’s the older 6-speed box rather than the ZF 8-speeder. Non.