£5k - what car

nuttinnew

Re: £5k - what car

Post by nuttinnew »

:lol:

Scirocco? This is nearly Zonda spec; https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... sed&page=5

If suggesting Scirocco I'll have to RCZ also, and if nearly Zonda spec; https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 7tq&page=2
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:03 am Buried under the M3*. That's why nobody has spotted the shallow grave.

* not the motorway.
definitely does explain his reluctance to move it!
Beany

Post by Beany »

I do like the idea of a Focus ST225, but a scrappy one that would give the excuse to 'fix'. And by fix, I mean, turn the wick up to 11.

Although you can't really go much beyond 300hp without more serious changes - full exhaust and intake kits, FMIC, big injectors to creep over 300hp, any more than that needs big injectors, hybrid turbots, etc.

If you go fucking bonkers you can knock on the door of 600hp though, according to MSD
Example hardware specification:

High performance cold air induction kit
Full 3" free flow exhaust system with sports cat.
Uprated intercooler
Focus RS Crossover, MAF and pressure sensor.
Uprated High Pressure and capacity fuel pump.
Bosch 550 / 650 / 750 cc Injectors
Garrett GTX2867R / GT3076R / Etc.
Internal or external wastegate
Turbosmart uprated compressor bypass valve (Recirc or 50/50)
Uprated Plenum.
2 step colder spark plugs
Block Mod.
Although at that point, you could have bought an RS and turned it's wick up a bit, for the money you'd be spending.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Unless you're putting drag slicks on it and only using it a quarter mile at a time, a front wheel drive car with 600bhp would be horrible :lol:
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:37 am Unless you're putting drag slicks on it and only using it a quarter mile at a time, a front wheel drive car with 600bhp would be horrible :lol:
It'd be an experience.

I'm not saying it'd be a good one....
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Beany wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:23 am I do like the idea of a Focus ST225, but a scrappy one that would give the excuse to 'fix'. And by fix, I mean, turn the wick up to 11.

Although you can't really go much beyond 300hp without more serious changes - full exhaust and intake kits, FMIC, big injectors to creep over 300hp, any more than that needs big injectors, hybrid turbots, etc.

If you go fucking bonkers you can knock on the door of 600hp though, according to MSD

Uprated intercooler
Uprated Plenum.
Block Mod.
Although at that point, you could have bought an RS and turned it's wick up a bit, for the money you'd be spending.
Is that block mod which is pretty non-descript there a replace liners with strengthen ones and while you are in there fit an uprated crank, rods and and pistons? Just doubting the ability of a standard ST engine internals that has 225bhp from the factory to be able to take 400hp let alone 600.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Beany wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:23 am I do like the idea of a Focus ST225, but a scrappy one that would give the excuse to 'fix'. And by fix, I mean, turn the wick up to 11.

Uprated intercooler
Uprated Plenum.
Block Mod.
the Lotus does all that - but quicker. Focus RS's cant keep up round the track. Plus we have the mini which is a full competition spec race car. Im not looking for another project.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

I like the thought of the FN Civic Type-R, think it looks cool and was always reckoned to be below the levels of the others and I'm a bit of a sucker for an underdog. Anyway kids like revvy engines.
Beany

Post by Beany »

What about an older, not quite top spec but near there wafty barge? E39 540/V8 E-class wagon or something?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:32 am
Jobbo wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:09 am Yes, got my ex-wife one in 2008. She still has it I think. I drive it quite a bit;
Blimey, does she know, or do you sneak in whilst she's sleeping with a spare set of keys?
:lol: I didn't realise autocorrect changed the tense of your verbs so maybe just a typo :oops:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

drcarlos wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:20 am I like the thought of the FN Civic Type-R, think it looks cool and was always reckoned to be below the levels of the others and I'm a bit of a sucker for an underdog. Anyway kids like revvy engines.
IIRC the engine wasn't quite so memorable as in previous versions, as it struggled a bit with the extra weight of the FN. Nothing a basic turbo kit wouldn't fix.

Also IIRC but the JDM saloon version is better than the hatchback as it has a multilink rear end as opposed to a torsion bar in the hatchback.
An absolute unit
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Not sure what this'll end up going for but it'd be a cool choice.

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/200 ... ord-type-r
An absolute unit
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:58 pm Not sure what this'll end up going for but it'd be a cool choice.

Gavster used to have one of those, a red one.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

What about an import Accord Euro R?

220hp I think, same 2.0 engine as the Civic I think with a cockhair more power.

Should be reliable and fun?
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:58 am
drcarlos wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:20 am I like the thought of the FN Civic Type-R, think it looks cool and was always reckoned to be below the levels of the others and I'm a bit of a sucker for an underdog. Anyway kids like revvy engines.
IIRC the engine wasn't quite so memorable as in previous versions, as it struggled a bit with the extra weight of the FN. Nothing a basic turbo kit wouldn't fix.

Also IIRC but the JDM saloon version is better than the hatchback as it has a multilink rear end as opposed to a torsion bar in the hatchback.
I wasn't bad but did put on weight and gained no power over the EP3, the torsion bar wasn't much loved either. The FD2 Saloon was always better but they were always a lot of money for what you got and I think they are still expensive due to the JDM nature. The Championship White edition of the FN got an LSD which apparently cures the majority of the handling complaints so might be worth looking at although they start at 7k. The Mugen cars (there were both 2.0 and 2.2's) cure the power issues but like the FD they'll be way out of budget and they also drop into that Lotus/Hardcore track car crossover area.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Legacy 3.0r spec b
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:58 pm Not sure what this'll end up going for but it'd be a cool choice.

I looked at one of those when they were about £2500. As it's on Collecting Cars with hundreds of photos surely they're expecting more than that for it?
Looks lowered but doesn't say it is. Has to be red imo.
Left over crest; tightens.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

A colleague had one of those around 2004 in black. I was astounded at its cornering abilities!

Quite rare too. Took him ages to find one.