Two weeks

jamcg

Re: Two weeks

Post by jamcg »

Jimexpl wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:47 am That’s crap. One of the benefits of living in a flat is that it’s highly unlikely someone will manage to use these keyless signal boosters to get a car started.

Is yours new enough for the In control app so that you can see where it’s gone?

Where do nicked RHD Range Rovers go?

It’s not as if there’s demand for the parts like Defenders.
I think a lot end up in Africa somewhere
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Sorry to hear that man, it’s really shit.
An absolute unit
dan

Post by dan »

Mate of mine has his SVR stolen in broad daylight from morrisons car park, with the dog in the back. It was recovered within half an hour as he'd fitted his own second tracker to it. It appears they're extremely easy to steal.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Thanks, all.

They didn't break in to get the keys fortunately. I was sat in my front room and heard the engine start - I was outside within 30 seconds but they had gone. Jumped in my car to try and follow them but from what I know now, headed in the wrong direction.

Called the police as soon as I realised I couldn't see them and then spent an hour in the back of their car trying to find it. They disabled the GPS tracking quite quickly and then moved it to another location where it is still pinging a GSM mobile locater but only accurate to half a mile apparently. I've spent 2 hours this morning looking for it (as seems they've now left it to cool off as it is not showing any further movement) but no luck. I'd disabled the keyless entry but seemed like they could open the door anyway, probably using a ghost key - they then plugged a laptop into the ODB reader to start it - took them about 30 seconds from the CCTV footage.

Had to deal with a 5 year in floods of tears this morning as he was gutted it had been taken - probably the worst thing about all of it. On the phone to the insurers now - somehow doubt I'm ever going to see it again.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Cunts.

I disable the keyless go on mine every time I get home (double press on the lock button on the remote for me).

Hope you get justice somehow.

Remember, the best revenge is to live well.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Sad to read this, gutted for you. At least they didn’t break in.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

GG. wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:07 pm Called the police as soon as I realised I couldn't see them and then spent an hour in the back of their car trying to find it. They disabled the GPS tracking quite quickly and then moved it to another location where it is still pinging a GSM mobile locater but only accurate to half a mile apparently. I've spent 2 hours this morning looking for it (as seems they've now left it to cool off as it is not showing any further movement) but no luck. I'd disabled the keyless entry but seemed like they could open the door anyway, probably using a ghost key - they then plugged a laptop into the ODB reader to start it - took them about 30 seconds from the CCTV footage.
Not sure if it has the same tech as the iPace but that seemed to be pretty much intwined with the car and the call centre were shit hot, they even called us once when the car moved with out the “engine” on, the gps showed it was in the middle of the jag dealer in Solihull at the time.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Thats wanky dude.

As said tho at least they didnt come in the house thats wankier.

Its only a car at the end of the day, dont let if bother you.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Just extracted the video of it from the CCTV. I could post it on twitter etc. but not sure that's such a wise idea given these people know where I live.

It took them 32 seconds from walking up to starting the engine and they were gone in 51. No chance.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Maybe worth going back over the last couple of days and seeing if there’s anything suspicious?

If they were in and gone that quickly chances are they’d already clocked your car and came prepared.
An absolute unit
Simon

Post by Simon »

Find out who it is and have them whacked.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Get some Albanian gangsters to whack the Albanian gangsters who stole your car :lol:
An absolute unit
GG.

Post by GG. »

If they’re anything like the Albanian builders they’ll be busy until next year.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Unfortunately it’s not unexpected, however I thought that you’d be safe as your Range Rover was a few years old and they usually seem to be after the latest model.
It is so common at my flat that many on the residents Facebook group now seem to believe that the management/concierge are actually working with the car gang and turning a blind eye when thefts happen.
How about not having a sig at all?
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Well, that's just fucking shit. :(
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Sorry to hear this, very unpleasant.
Real-life Females
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

FFS that's awful. So glad they didn't come up to your house though.
Left over crest; tightens.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

That sucks GG. I think it's fairly common for car thieves to lift a car, disable tracking and then leave it pretty quickly. Let the dust settle and come back for it in a few days.

Make sure you talk to your son about it and try to normalise it. It's very easy for problems to set in on impressionable minds following something like this. (I sadly know this from experience)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
mik

Post by mik »

Amazing that they entered and got it started in 32secs. :shock:

And not in a good way.

Any chance there was already another key coded to it by a previous owner?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

The fact this is a 2018 car, and this is still possible, I’m not sure how trading standards aren’t involved on mass- quite clearly the security features are not fit for purpose