Ineos Grenadier

V8Granite

Ineos Grenadier

Post by V8Granite »

Well finally the interior is shown!!!

Now forgetting we don’t really get to see in the back, it’s like they designed it specifically for me 8-)

Auto for the wife, 3.0 BMW petrol, what appears to be locking front and rear diffs, great suspension and not silly wheels. Although I do believe they ended up with 17” wheels in the end which is a shame but understandable.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QtSdYI43TUE

I REALLY want one !!!!

I think this will be our last petrol family car. I also think it will be about 60k when released with some options and a full off road pack.

Dave!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Ineos Grenadier

Post by Rich B »

The BMW gear shifter really doesn't fit does it! I don't hate the aviation style buttons layout though.
GG.

Post by GG. »

I couldn't help but notice the transfer stickers for several of the buttons were on wonky. If these are stickers applied by hand I would imagine they will last all of 5 minutes before being worn off... Given many of the buttons are similar shapes that could be quite errr challenging.

for example:
Last edited by GG. on Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:30 pm The BMW gear shifter really doesn't fit does it! I don't hate the aviation style buttons layout though.
Spotted that as well. Isn't it the same in the Morgans as well? I can understand not wanting the added cost of designing a new shifter, but they are pretty incongruous the BMW ones.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

£60k is more than a new Defender specced how I'd want it would cost.

I'm not sure I'd choose the Grenadier myself, now that I've seen a few Defenders in the metal tbh.
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

The Defender is just too wide and although I really like it that would be a very annoying factor. Also I like the fact the Ineos is a live axles lockable diff vehicle and has much less electronic chintz in it.

I think if this came to the same price as a 110 Defender they would have done a brilliant job but I don’t think they can.

I hope they sell many in dark green so it can be our family car replacement.

Also the gearstick, there isn’t a lot of functionality in that is there so can’t be much of a reason to keep it ?

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

V8Granite wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:02 pm The Defender is just too wide and although I really like it that would be a very annoying factor. Also I like the fact the Ineos is a live axles lockable diff vehicle and has much less electronic chintz in it.
Yeah, I agree about it being good that it's a proper frame chassis, live axle off roader but so is an old Defender. That's where the disconnect comes for me. If I want an old Defender, I'll get an old Defender. If I want something more modern I'd probably get something less compromised like a new Defender. I don't really see where the Grenadier fits in.
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:15 pm
V8Granite wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:02 pm The Defender is just too wide and although I really like it that would be a very annoying factor. Also I like the fact the Ineos is a live axles lockable diff vehicle and has much less electronic chintz in it.
Yeah, I agree about it being good that it's a proper frame chassis, live axle off roader but so is an old Defender. That's where the disconnect comes for me. If I want an old Defender, I'll get an old Defender. If I want something more modern I'd probably get something less compromised like a new Defender. I don't really see where the Grenadier fits in.
It needs to do 3 things to have people who bought the old Defender buying the Grenadier.

Proper corrosion protection
Engine with more power
Auto option

The rest people liked about the old defender, if they can get it reliable and we see some non biased tests then hopefully it lives up to what they say.

I love Defenders but I’d not have a CSW as my family car, I’d certainly have this.

Dave!
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:15 pm
Nostalgia and bragging rights- people telling you the new defender isn’t a defender so they bought one of these instead
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

That dash is hideous - looks like the controls are rack-mounted so you can pull them out and move them around :lol: Seats are nice. Like Zed, I don't want one; I'd have a new Defender. Compared to a proper old Defender, this is like a Santana; quite similar but massively less desirable.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The centre console reminds me of my AEG AC unit, still its not offensive apart from that tiny screen in the dash. Fucking hate that, the i3 had that cheap arsed shite tiny display which was useless as the whole point of a LCD display is that you can customise it to show whatever you want. Except on that tiny POS which did nothing. Rest of the interior isn't great for the price either.

I can see the appeal if you want an old Defender but can't due to emissions legislations. It's pretty shite if you have a practical do it all car but can't drive it into any large city without being charged loads.
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Almost all the electronic chintz will still be there to support the engine and gearbox though, so it's just as likely to go wrong as anything else modern, surely?
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

Carfection have just released a video on it as well. I quite like it. I do think the BMW gear lever does look a bit out of place, but other than that, I like the utilitarian nature of it.

Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I think that's the first time I've really looked at the outside, particularly in a colour that you can actually see the details. Nothing lines up, all the details are odd, there's loads of weird bits and in my opinion - it's a mess.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Don't know what you're on about Rich - those odd plastic dots on the doors line up with each other and the hinges. And those weird plastic trim pieces line up with the door handles. It's a masterpiece! :lol:

Actually, while I still doubt I'd like it, it would be immeasurably improved if it had a badge on the grille. As it is it looks like a Leyland Sherpa missing the BL logo.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Beany wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:00 pm
Almost all the electronic chintz will still be there to support the engine and gearbox though, so it's just as likely to go wrong as anything else modern, surely?
At a guess, I’d reckon on there being half of the electronics in a Grenadier over a Defender. Can you imagine just the body control module on a new Defender ?

I really like the new Defender, I just like this more.

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I was thinking it looks quite a lot like one of those tarted up "Twisted" Defenders for something that's supposed to be a utilitarian alternative to the new one :lol:
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:36 pm I think that's the first time I've really looked at the outside, particularly in a colour that you can actually see the details. Nothing lines up, all the details are odd, there's loads of weird bits and in my opinion - it's a mess.
They’ve certainly gone a long way to being able to attach proper tie down, mounting points all over it. I applaud them for doing it but really can’t see the use of the ones on the doors. In a commercial yes, lots of things can be fixed to the side but a 5 door, no bloody idea. Maybe a Jerry can for each door 😂

Dave!
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

V8Granite wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:07 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:36 pm I think that's the first time I've really looked at the outside, particularly in a colour that you can actually see the details. Nothing lines up, all the details are odd, there's loads of weird bits and in my opinion - it's a mess.
They’ve certainly gone a long way to being able to attach proper tie down, mounting points all over it. I applaud them for doing it but really can’t see the use of the ones on the doors. In a commercial yes, lots of things can be fixed to the side but a 5 door, no bloody idea. Maybe a Jerry can for each door 😂

Dave!
are they fixing points then? 😳😂
Beany

Post by Beany »

V8Granite wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:05 pm
Beany wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:00 pm
At a guess, I’d reckon on there being half of the electronics in a Grenadier over a Defender. Can you imagine just the body control module on a new Defender ?

I really like the new Defender, I just like this more.

Dave!
Yes, I'm sure the body control module of a minor manufacturer - because it will have one - well be any better than a major manufacturer.

I'll wager it's just as bad as any new car, honestly. Safety regs demands it.