Ineos Grenadier

V8Granite

Re: Ineos Grenadier

Post by V8Granite »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:13 pm
V8Granite wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:07 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:36 pm I think that's the first time I've really looked at the outside, particularly in a colour that you can actually see the details. Nothing lines up, all the details are odd, there's loads of weird bits and in my opinion - it's a mess.
They’ve certainly gone a long way to being able to attach proper tie down, mounting points all over it. I applaud them for doing it but really can’t see the use of the ones on the doors. In a commercial yes, lots of things can be fixed to the side but a 5 door, no bloody idea. Maybe a Jerry can for each door 😂

Dave!
are they fixing points then? 😳😂
Yeah I forget the name but you put sprung tie down rings anywhere along the rail and you can strap stuff to it really tight. On the rear wings, yes a great idea, on the doors? Hmm, seems a bit like a Defender with Chequer plate and a snorkel with holes in to me.

Dave!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Beany wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:21 pm
V8Granite wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:05 pm
Beany wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:00 pm

Almost all the electronic chintz will still be there to support the engine and gearbox though, so it's just as likely to go wrong as anything else modern, surely?
At a guess, I’d reckon on there being half of the electronics in a Grenadier over a Defender. Can you imagine just the body control module on a new Defender ?

I really like the new Defender, I just like this more.

Dave!
Yes, I'm sure the body control module of a minor manufacturer - because it will have one - well be any better than a major manufacturer.

I'll wager it's just as bad as any new car, honestly. Safety regs demands it.
You realise that they aren’t making their own modules and things don’t you ? It will be vastly simpler than a new Defender in what it is required to do. Am looking forward to some proper reviews.

Dave!
Beany

Post by Beany »

I'm fairly certain nobody makes their own (it's all outsourced to the likes of Delphi etc) but they'll have less money to spend to get the more robust devices etc.

I'm sure you know supply chain shit better than me with the gear you work on, you know how this goes! :lol:
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Just heard the sunrise has 35 ECUs around the entire vehicle. The Defender has 85.

I don’t know if 35 is very little or 85 is a lot :lol:

Dave!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Well I configured one I liked. I’ve gone full tart and decided on alloy wheels.

Now, just need the money :lol:

I’m not sure on the rear ladder, I’d probably wait to see what other companies come up with as I’m not sure what kind of roof rack you would put on one.

I realise beauty is subjective but I don’t think I’d have much of an argument for this one. It’s not a pretty thing :lol:

So alpine sunroofs, rock sliders, full wing rear hatches, lockable diffs, alloy wheels and pre-wired auxiliary switching and the 3.0 bmw petrol turbo. I believe it’s supposed to be 280hp.

I’d guess at 55k for all that but I’m not sure if any official prices are out yet.

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I've seen that colour scheme somewhere before ;)
How about not having a sig at all?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Do you mean it looks very like a Defender, I don’t know what you mean :lol:

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Same colours as my Defender but mine is dark blue.

If I picked a Grenadier I think I’d go with Silver because it would hide scratches well.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:10 pm Same colours as my Defender but mine is dark blue.
ah yes, the same colours, but not the same colours.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Henry has a wee drive of one.

I'm still not sure that I get it tbh. Ok, it has a separate chassis and solid axles but it relies on as much electronic assistance as any other modern SUV and £50k would keep something like a Defender or old G-Wagen running for a while.
An absolute unit
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I don't actually hate the styling. Its nothing special but its not offensive and some of those configurator examples look pretty good.

50K+ just seems like a lot of money although I guess if you're going to use one of these as a farm vehicle and literally keep it until it falls apart, you need to factor that in.

Given the size of our croft, I could just see me buying an old Defender as its not going to do a lot of miles on the actual road, so maybe I could put up with its "eccentricities".
Cheers,

Mike.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I REALLY hope I’m in a position to get one in the next few years, it’s impressing me more with each review.

Dave!
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:02 pm Henry has a wee drive of one.

I'm still not sure that I get it tbh. Ok, it has a separate chassis and solid axles but it relies on as much electronic assistance as any other modern SUV and £50k would keep something like a Defender or old G-Wagen running for a while.
I like the video and the car's off-road capabilities seem very good, but I didn't realise exactly what it was - like you said @ZedLeg, maybe I misunderstood what it was going to be.
Cheers,

Mike.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Just watched the video and to me it looks like a cheap knock-off Defender that they've attempted to modernise. Especially the front looks naff. Luckily for them I'm not the target demographic, so my opinion doesn't matter.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

DeskJockey wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:41 pm Just watched the video and to me it looks like a cheap knock-off Defender that they've attempted to modernise. Especially the front looks naff. Luckily for them I'm not the target demographic, so my opinion doesn't matter.
It doesn't feel like a cheap knock off defender! Quite the opposite really.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

That's good for the buyers. At least they're getting a quality product, even if it looks cheap.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:04 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:41 pm Just watched the video and to me it looks like a cheap knock-off Defender that they've attempted to modernise. Especially the front looks naff. Luckily for them I'm not the target demographic, so my opinion doesn't matter.
an expensive knock off defender.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:21 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:04 pm
an expensive knock off defender.
:lol:

The one I sat in at TLBS Manchester felt far better screwed together than any Defender I've ever sat in.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

That doesn’t say a lot tbh :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I can see the appeal of these a few more years down the line if they actually make a zero emission version. If you want something like a Defender which is zero emission your only choice right now is to pay someone like Twisted a stupid amount of money and the end product is still pretty mediocre.