Lotus Emira

duncs500

Re: Lotus Emira

Post by duncs500 »

Maurice wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:17 am
Simon wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:27 am It's all those driving 'heroes' on PH for which anything but a manuel is sacrilege, and for whom even a modern turbo lump is no comparison to a decades old larger lump that's 'lag free'.

You know the kind, the same who will kill themselves when we go all electric.
Oh god, am I one of them?
Oh the shame! :cry:
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

nuttinnew wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:51 am
mik wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:39 pm
PaulJ wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:07 pm Anyone know how wide it is over the door mirrors? (I'm always ambitious on judging viable gaps to go for!).
"Key dimensions of the Emira are length 4,412mm; width 1,895mm; height 1,225mm; and wheelbase 2,575mm"

I have to assume that width is to the outer door mirrors.

A comment on the dimensions here (goes straight to the relevant part);

Doesn't help with whether it's in the body or across the mirrors.
Thanks for the info. Other sources suggest that the Lotus is almost identical in length (good), about 6cm lower (fine), but about 17cm wider (unacceptable). Count me out, unfortunately. My heart says Lotus but my head chooses Porsches.
mik

Post by mik »

Zonda_ wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:30 am
RobYob wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:21 am
Zonda_ wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:06 am Watched Harry's garage vid on the launch. I like it, I think they could do with a cheaper, more track focused model. Biggest thing I took from the launch is how small the Evija is!
That's a contradiction though isn't it, it's the extra fruit salad of options where the margins are. You have to be as clever as Porsche to pull of the charging more for less trick.
No, I mean a completely different car.
Maybe you should consider the new Wells Vertige 🤔
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

mik wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:47 pm
RobYob wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:21 am

That's a contradiction though isn't it, it's the extra fruit salad of options where the margins are. You have to be as clever as Porsche to pull of the charging more for less trick.
Holy fuck that's ugly! I just think Lotus would be better creating a range of realistically affordable sports cars rather than £million+ hyper cars.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

I like that, side profile is a bit 458 like and good for it IMO.

I'd have a V6 Manual.

I'm sure 99% of people will still buy the Porsche because of the badge whether the Lotus is the better drivers car or not.

It's funny because no one really stops to talk to you about a Porsche but a Lotus is slightly different so I'd imagine much like my Chim you get randoms admiring and asking questions (which is a little odd at first, but kind of nice).
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Zonda_ wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:14 pm

Holy fuck that's ugly! I just think Lotus would be better creating a range of realistically affordable sports cars rather than £million+ hyper cars.
The "How to make a fortune in sportscars" problem!

Manufacturers that incur the costs of globalised development need to recoup those somehow.
You either need to be much bigger, or charge a lot more.
The list of those who've tried and failed would break this forum.

What is a surprise is the tie in with AMG rather than Geely pushing its own powertrains into Lotus. That might be the route for a Cheaper Emira sometime in the future.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

They could probably do one in the £60k bracket to go up against Porsche, but sadly I'm not sure they're going to think of that. :(
scotta

Post by scotta »

RobYob wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:49 pm

The "How to make a fortune in sportscars" problem!

Manufacturers that incur the costs of globalised development need to recoup those somehow.
You either need to be much bigger, or charge a lot more.
The list of those who've tried and failed would break this forum.

What is a surprise is the tie in with AMG rather than Geely pushing its own powertrains into Lotus. That might be the route for a Cheaper Emira sometime in the future.
the AMG tie up is worth its weight in marketing gold. "My lotus has an AMG engine like a zonda innit".
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Are they really going to be £60k? There's 2nd hand Evoras at more than that on AT.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:16 pm Are they really going to be £60k? There's 2nd hand Evoras at more than that on AT.
Thats for an un-optioned 4 banger.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I saw it at Goodwood today and it’s nicely proportioned if a bit bland as most sports cars today seem to feature far more aero bits and pieces. They had it next to a Evija which didn’t help. There was also an Elise in front of it which made it look massive. It is a rather large car for just 2 seats, don’t know how it compares to a Caymen in that regard.
How about not having a sig at all?
scotta

Post by scotta »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:37 pm I saw it at Goodwood today and it’s nicely proportioned if a bit bland as most sports cars today seem to feature far more aero bits and pieces. They had it next to a Evija which didn’t help. There was also an Elise in front of it which made it look massive. It is a rather large car for just 2 seats, don’t know how it compares to a Caymen in that regard.
Other sources at goodwood tell me they had taken 500 deposits by lunchtime.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

scotta wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:56 pm
Mito Man wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:37 pm I saw it at Goodwood today and it’s nicely proportioned if a bit bland as most sports cars today seem to feature far more aero bits and pieces. They had it next to a Evija which didn’t help. There was also an Elise in front of it which made it look massive. It is a rather large car for just 2 seats, don’t know how it compares to a Caymen in that regard.
Good, sounds very promising. Wish TVR would pull their finger out and get on with building the Griffith.
scotta

Post by scotta »

drcarlos wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:19 pm
Good, sounds very promising. Wish TVR would pull their finger out and get on with building the Griffith.
That's more and more looking like an IF rather than a when.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yes, there was a queue of about 1000 middle aged men basically begging them to take their money and I overheard one person moaning of a 18 month plus wait already.
How about not having a sig at all?
scotta

Post by scotta »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:26 pm
Yes, there was a queue of about 1000 middle aged men basically begging them to take their money and I overheard one person moaning of a 18 month plus wait already.
Yep 18 months for delivery was what they were quoting.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

scotta wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:22 pm
drcarlos wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:19 pm

That's more and more looking like an IF rather than a when.
We had an update via the club (worth every penny to join for the 50% discount I got on my insurance) last month and they are fitting out the factory at the moment, how long the funds will last I don't know, so some cautious optimism there.
With a working factory and a decent car the FOS is a great place to tempt people into parting with their cash.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Looks quite nice although that lack one to me looks like a squished 360/430 and now I can't un-see it.
Cheers,

Mike.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

scotta wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:30 pm Yep 18 months for delivery was what they were quoting.
No doubt we’ll see a few early cars being flipped for £10+k over!

TVR Griffith looks really dated by comparison. Who’s going to buy them?

Speaking of which, who’s going to buy all those £90k+ delivery miles Evora GT410 at dealer...
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Coaster1 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:49 pm
scotta wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:30 pm Yep 18 months for delivery was what they were quoting.
Speaking of which, who’s going to buy all those £90k+ delivery miles Evora GT410 at dealer...
Does make any 2+0 Evora seem pretty redundant doesn't it.

Once the waiting list has been cleared maybe that 225kW AMG A35 motor will be offered.