Lotus Emira

integrale_evo

Re: Lotus Emira

Post by integrale_evo »

Wonder if lotus have surplus stock of the v6 they want to get rid of? They seem to be pushing the ‘last of the line, end of an era’ stuff, encouraging the enthusiasts to hurry and get one while they can to drive up demand.

V6 manual probably pick of the bunch for occasional weekend drives around the countryside rather than flat out blasting.
Cheers, Harry
Holley

Post by Holley »

mik wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:32 pm
Holley wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:10 pm Been tempted with the A110 for a while but just didn't quite click. This however seems spot on (friend has placed his deposit for a yellow one with black pack, AMG with manual. But I'm thinking Green with Tan Leather, yellow callipers, no black pack, AMG with manual).
AMG & Manuel isn't an option.

It will initially launch as a limited-edition First Edition model that uses the brand's Toyota-sourced supercharged 3.5-liter V6 engine, the same unit found in the Evora GT, and it'll be offered with either a 6-speed automatic or a 6-speed manual. In summer 2022 the Emira will gain a second engine option: a turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-4 sourced from Mercedes-AMG. This motor is the same one used by cars like the CLA45, but Lotus has given it a new air intake and exhaust system and mounted it transversely. The turbo four engine will only be offered with AMG's 8-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.
That'll teach me for just taking my friends word for it! I do wonder if the Toyota engine would be the better long term reliability prospect
Beany

Post by Beany »

integrale_evo wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:01 am Wonder if lotus have surplus stock of the v6 they want to get rid of? They seem to be pushing the ‘last of the line, end of an era’ stuff, encouraging the enthusiasts to hurry and get one while they can to drive up demand.

V6 manual probably pick of the bunch for occasional weekend drives around the countryside rather than flat out blasting.
I can't help thinking V6 for the weekend driver, 2.0 turbot DSG for the person who actually wants to drive quick and track it at least semi-regularly (which are almost certainly a higher proportion than most other manufacturers customers)
Simon

Post by Simon »

It's all those driving 'heroes' on PH for which anything but a manuel is sacrilege, and for whom even a modern turbo lump is no comparison to a decades old larger lump that's 'lag free'.

You know the kind, the same who will kill themselves when we go all electric.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

mik wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:39 pm
PaulJ wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:07 pm Anyone know how wide it is over the door mirrors? (I'm always ambitious on judging viable gaps to go for!).
"Key dimensions of the Emira are length 4,412mm; width 1,895mm; height 1,225mm; and wheelbase 2,575mm"

I have to assume that width is to the outer door mirrors.

A comment on the dimensions here (goes straight to the relevant part);

Doesn't help with whether it's in the body or across the mirrors.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Watched Harry's garage vid on the launch. I like it, I think they could do with a cheaper, more track focused model. Biggest thing I took from the launch is how small the Evija is!
Beany

Post by Beany »

Simon wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:27 am It's all those driving 'heroes' on PH for which anything but a manuel is sacrilege, and for whom even a modern turbo lump is no comparison to a decades old larger lump that's 'lag free'.

Also of course none of them will actually buy one anyway cos they'd rather have a Cayman or a 911 on a competitive lease.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Simon wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:27 am It's all those driving 'heroes' on PH for which anything but a manuel is sacrilege, and for whom even a modern turbo lump is no comparison to a decades old larger lump that's 'lag free'.

I think it’s the exact opposite. I’d arrive at the limit of my abilities far quicker in a faster dct/auto box car than a manual. It’s a lot of fun having more stuff to do as going as quick as possible is never the ultimate goal.

It weighs a lot more than expected but it looks fantastic, hopefully many years of profit out of it.

Dave!
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

Oh god, am I one of them?

Having experience of a similar German 2l four pot with DSG and the V6 in the back of the Emira with the same gearbox, I know which one I’d want in the back.

Spoiler alert - it’s not the four pot.
mik

Post by mik »

It annoyed me when presenters were comparing Emira to Elise and saying “how far things have come” when the entire point of the Elise was pared-down no-frills. Which isn’t the aim of the Emira.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:18 am It annoyed me when presenters were comparing Emira to Elise and saying “how far things have come” when the entire point of the Elise was pared-down no-frills. Which isn’t the aim of the Emira.
probably meant that you couldn't see any raw fibreglass edges or flapping bit of trim tbf...
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Zonda_ wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:06 am Watched Harry's garage vid on the launch. I like it, I think they could do with a cheaper, more track focused model. Biggest thing I took from the launch is how small the Evija is!
That's a contradiction though isn't it, it's the extra fruit salad of options where the margins are. You have to be as clever as Porsche to pull of the charging more for less trick.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

RobYob wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:21 am
Zonda_ wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:06 am Watched Harry's garage vid on the launch. I like it, I think they could do with a cheaper, more track focused model. Biggest thing I took from the launch is how small the Evija is!
That's a contradiction though isn't it, it's the extra fruit salad of options where the margins are. You have to be as clever as Porsche to pull of the charging more for less trick.
No, I mean a completely different car.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Zonda_ wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:30 am
RobYob wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:21 am
No, I mean a completely different car.
I imagine that's an even thinner business case then, amortising new model development when you're targeting Caterham/Ariel/Radical's sales rather than Porsche's.

Even if they had the means to continue the small platform cheaply with updated powertrains like the AMG lump would they actually do anything but primarily canibalise Emira?

Lotus has been hand to mouth trying to stay the people's hero for decades, there's no reason to think conrinueing with that strategy would be any more sucessful in the future.
Holley

Post by Holley »

mik wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:18 am It annoyed me when presenters were comparing Emira to Elise and saying “how far things have come” when the entire point of the Elise was pared-down no-frills. Which isn’t the aim of the Emira.
I thought that. Better comparison would have been a Esprit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Have the prices of the V6 and 4-pot been announced? I can imagine the AMG engine might be more expensive than the Toyota, which would be amusing.

I'd have the V6 as an auto please. I don't care how good the AMG 4-pot is, it's still a 4-pot. Far from being the enthusiasts' choice it sounds like the economical version for commuting on the motorway.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:34 am Have the prices of the V6 and 4-pot been announced? I can imagine the AMG engine might be more expensive than the Toyota, which would be amusing.

I'd have the V6 as an auto please. I don't care how good the AMG 4-pot is, it's still a 4-pot. Far from being the enthusiasts' choice it sounds like the economical version for commuting on the motorway.
It's the Toyota V6+all those low volume parts (Supercharger,rebuilt manual gbx,bespoke hardware) So it adds to the cost of a humble mass production engine very quickly. They might also just have been sensible and tacked on some margin to the "prestige" V6 spec.

As compromised as the manual is, I'd still go for the slower but more driver interactive option. But the I4 will probably be "better" 90% of the time (and ferociously tuneable to boot). Nice to have the choice though 8-)

Maybe Evora residuals will finally be forced down a bit! NA V6 manual for me please! :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

RobYob wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:44 am
Maybe Evora residuals will finally be forced down a bit! NA V6 manual for me please! :lol:
Oi! FO! :evil:
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

mik wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:46 am
RobYob wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:44 am
Oi! FO! :evil:
:lol: Cash waiting, I'll take it off your hands.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Finally watched the Carfection video (and Harry’s).

I love it. At this price point completely blows my previous favourites, A110/Boxster GTS 4.0, out of the water.

I hope Lotus sell loads so I can buy one in the future, but I suspect Emira will hold its value well and most likely price will appreciate like Porsche GT cars, cos being the last hurrah for ICE. :(