Lotus Emira

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Re: Lotus Emira

Post by Matty »

Something odd about the proportions....looks like someone acidentally scaled it 80% but only horizontally, and I don't think the bonnet nostrils help, nor does the extra ride hight that makes it look like it's on tip-toes. Obviously the original concept height was never going to make production, but still.

Or maybe I'm just jealous that I can't afford one. V6 mit IPS please.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Matty wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:48 pm Something odd about the proportions....looks like someone acidentally scaled it 80% but only horizontally, and I don't think the bonnet nostrils help, nor does the extra ride hight that makes it look like it's on tip-toes. Obviously the original concept height was never going to make production, but still.

Or maybe I'm just jealous that I can't afford one. V6 mit IPS please.
I think darker colour would hide the nostrils, shame colour choices are limited. (although I do like the blue)

Dark metallic purple, dark metallic green or metallic red would be nice.

I can’t afford one either but 2+0 V6 manual with lowering springs dear Santa :D
mik

Post by mik »

Following a prod from @scotta - I now see prices and specs finalised

The meat:

The Emira First Edition costs £71,995 (€87,995 in Germany, $85,900 in USA) and is now live on the configurator on www.lotuscars.com. Customers in the UK can reserve their chosen car via the website from 8 April and deliveries will start towards the end of the year.

The entry level four-cylinder Emira will, as previously revealed, cost £59,995. The full spec will be announced later this year, with cars available next spring. The entry level Emira V6 will be launched in January 2023 and will cost £64,995 (€81,995 in Germany, $82,900 in USA). More details on both models, including the full spec and options pricing, will be made available this summer. Online customer reservations will start at the same time.

V6 manual is the spec that shouts at me, but that AMG 4-banger is proving very potent with tunas. Like 590bhp potent. You can push the V6 to 500bhp, but you need significant spend to do so….

Based on that, I think dealers are going to be left with their pants pulled down, trying to sell the last of the Evoras… like this one for example
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

mik wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:08 pm V6 manual is the spec that shouts at me, but that AMG 4-banger is proving very potent with tunas. Like 590bhp potent. You can push the V6 to 500bhp, but you need significant spend to do so….
That is my thinking too, headline figures dont tell the full story but the 4 is only 40 bhp down but with more torque.
mik

Post by mik »

Manual box is only available on the V6, which makes the choice easy for me (not that I am buying - maybe in the future (?)).

If auto was an option it would be a far more difficult decision. Merc 8sp will undoubtedly be the better box, but whilst the v6 will win the noise contest hands down, it’s thirstier, and if the AMG owner uses that £5k price delta on tuning - they will definitely have the faster car.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Using my crystal ball (start the fans please) The i4 at some point will morph into a light(er) weight club/sports racer with a dollop of more power.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

AC delete and a bunch of very expensive CF options :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

scotta wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:40 am Using my crystal ball (start the fans please) The i4 at some point will morph into a light(er) weight club/sports racer with a dollop of more power.
Without roof too?

scotta

Post by scotta »

mik wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:12 am
scotta wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:40 am Using my crystal ball (start the fans please) The i4 at some point will morph into a light(er) weight club/sports racer with a dollop of more power.
Without roof too?

Yes - they will be naming that the Boxmira.
tim

Post by tim »

I see their test car a lot, what with our office being adjacent to the factory, and it looks great to my eyes. I would love one, and I hope it brings Lotus much fortune.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Looks like the Emira will get a detuned version of the A45 engine, presumably so it doesn't outshine the v6 on paper. Would be interesting to see the weight difference, a 2.0 turbo and intercooler could easily be as heavy as a 3.5 v6.

Watching the videos from earlier this month are showing a pre production car, they have a lot to do if the first cars car are delivered in June.
scotta

Post by scotta »

MikeHunt wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:50 pm Looks like the Emira will get a detuned version of the A45 engine, presumably so it doesn't outshine the v6 on paper. Would be interesting to see the weight difference, a 2.0 turbo and intercooler could easily be as heavy as a 3.5 v6.

Watching the videos from earlier this month are showing a pre production car, they have a lot to do if the first cars car are delivered in June.
The V6 is supercharged and chargecooled i expect the 4 banger will be lighter but the DCT will be heavier than the manual. may be about equal.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Comparing the 2 engines relatively, I was assuming that the v6 was n/a, impressive from AMG!
mik

Post by mik »

The Toyota V6 is essentially the same unit that was fitted to the Evora in NA form in 2009, and Supercharged form in 2011 (albeit now with charge cooling).

It wasn’t an astonishing specific output back then, and isn’t today either.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

2GR was just never designed for outright performance. The fact that Toyota build in so much engineering robustness into it that you can add boost without touching any of the internals and STILL have some durability* is incredibly impressive.

The whole TRD Aurion part of the supercharged Evora story is something that should be written down for posterity.

*I once fluffed a 5-4 downshift and did a 5-2 at speed (funny story) and thought I'd gotten away with it as it kept on trucking. Three weeks later with my boss at the wheel it finally died on the motorway :lol:

Once torn down you could see I'd nicked every intake valve and the logs showed it had hit 8500+rpm :oops:
mik

Post by mik »

RobYob wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:12 pm
Once torn down you could see I'd nicked every intake valve and the logs showed it had hit 8500+rpm :oops:
Reference : Rev limiter is at 7200 rpm, so that’s about 20% higher :shock:
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Its now possible to order the v6 or turbo first editions, 60 week wait which you can bet will be delayed.
mik

Post by mik »

They took a load of deposits, so presumably these new orders are for “second round” cars (?)
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Prior to today, it was possible to order the v6 but not the 4 pot.
mik

Post by mik »

GT4 race car.

Looking at the comments - this seems to have frustrated folks who have put down deposits and are yet to receive their cars, but it isn’t a road-going version like the Cayman GT4….. it’s the race car. :?