Lotus Emira

MikeHunt

Re: Lotus Emira

Post by MikeHunt »

speedingfine wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:55 pm https://evo-shop.co.uk/products/evo-magazine-july-2022

3000 mile test with Bov and Catchpole 8-)

Just finished watching Harry's test, I wouldn't mind one :D
There really isn't any escaping this car :lol: just when I had decided that it site in-between my mx5 and z4 and having the 2 is a better option.

The standard v modified article looks good, comparing cayman, mx5 and Yaris.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Chris Harris review was about as positive as you can get and how good did the (Verdant apparently) green car look in the studio 8-)
mik

Post by mik »

@speedingfine i forgot that was on - just caught up. Yes, positively glowing.

You will notice that none of the other recent reviews use a white car - they were all almost production spec cars… but not quite. Whereas Harris’s car was a slightly older a bit less than almost production spec apparently - to suit their filming schedules I assume.
Hates_

Post by Hates_ »

Should have posted here that I got to see one in person at Hethel on the weekend. Looks great in the flesh and the proportions are just right IMO. I wasn't too interested in it until actually getting to see one.

integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I like them and have seen a few about, however, the nostrils and front shut line make it look like the ‘bonnet’ had just been chucked over the top of the actual bodywork and looks a bit like a last minute bodge and gives a similar floating bodywork feel as the nose spoiler bit on the sf90 :?
Cheers, Harry
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Hates_ wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:05 pm Should have posted here that I got to see one in person at Hethel on the weekend. Looks great in the flesh and the proportions are just right IMO. I wasn't too interested in it until actually getting to see one.

That does look incredible. Was very impressed by the Top Gear review.

So, has anyone from round these parts put a deposit down on one yet?
Cheers,

Mike.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

https://www.lotuscars.com/en-GB/driving ... -of-lotus/

Not far away from me… I was wondering about doing the track session, although £180 for 20 minutes seems dear!
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

mik

Post by mik »

First customer cars appearing at dealerships. Bloke in Germany collecting this at the end of the week. Touring chassis.

mik

Post by mik »

Judging by the not-really-a-smile, I am guessing Harry was expecting to see his car a little further on in the build process….

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Decent PR attempt I thought! And I still really want one :mrgreen:
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

So much want, they look great and you know they will drive better than they look. I didn’t drop a deposit in April because of the inevitable delays and I expect an even more full fat version at some point before lotus go fully electric.

Lotus have sold more cars in a year than the last 6, sounds like a price increase is on the cards too.
mik

Post by mik »

John Barker : last month's evo, where he drove a manual 2014 Evora Sports Racer again (ie same as mine except it wasn't a 'charged car). Interesting closing comment :geek:

"Its’ a shame that the Evora didn’t sell in greater volumes. It was supposed to be the first of three new models in a five-year plan that Lotus hoped would boost sales to 6000-7000 cars per year. Sadly the sister models, including the new Esprit, never made it off the drawing board. In fact, the only car spun off the platform is the Emira, which uses a revised version of the VVA chassis and has launched with the same Toyota V6. It’s a much better looking car, thought it is a pure two-seater. However, for clarity of steering, suppleness of ride, and dynamic agility and precision, this 2014 Evora beats it. I didn’t expect that."
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Not quite sure Barker isn't mixing up his histories there.

I can't remember any intention to make Evora chassis into Esprit other than a skunkworks project post the death of the Bahar five car plan Esprit. But maybe there was.

Ride and handling is Becker vs Kershaw era.

NA Evora was a sweet car, lurvly induction noise, NA Exige was a missed opportunity imho.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

RobYob wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:23 pm Not quite sure Barker isn't mixing up his histories there.

I can't remember any intention to make Evora chassis into Esprit other than a skunkworks project post the death of the Bahar five car plan Esprit. But maybe there was.

Ride and handling is Becker vs Kershaw era.

NA Evora was a sweet car, lurvly induction noise, NA Exige was a missed opportunity imho.
Evo's story from the launch back in 2008 says the same thing about it being the first of three new models on the platform: https://www.evo.co.uk/lotus/evora/9192/ ... eaks-cover

That was the story Lotus were putting out at the time; whether it was correct when viewed from the inside is another matter of course...
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

RobYob wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:23 pm NA Evora was a sweet car, lurvly induction noise, NA Exige was a missed opportunity imho.
Was it? There was only really a couple of advantages to the NA, one being tax, and the other being a lower CoG (apparently, and arguably no one would notice). Otherwise it was all about the benefits of poweeeerrrrr. Majority of Evora owners were looking for the S model.

That being said, I never found the Evora lacking with my ~280bhp but I was living in ignorance as I'd never driven a charged version.
dan

Post by dan »

Matty wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:01 pm
RobYob wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:23 pm NA Evora was a sweet car, lurvly induction noise, NA Exige was a missed opportunity imho.
and the other being a lower CoG (apparently, and arguably no one would notice)
You would. When you've driven a few different models it becomes apparent that the V6 has a very high COG and the engine feels like it wants to overtake you in the bends.

Absolutely fabulous road car, i'd love one, but on track they feel heavy and wallowy and a bit like an old 911.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:46 pm Evo's story from the launch back in 2008 says the same thing about it being the first of three new models on the platform: https://www.evo.co.uk/lotus/evora/9192/ ... eaks-cover

That was the story Lotus were putting out at the time; whether it was correct when viewed from the inside is another matter of course...
Ah fair enough, well before my time there and now degrading memories thereof.