Simon

Re: New car buying advice type thread

Post by Simon »

E63 estate. Job jobbed.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I'm in the same boat, I sold my last car end of January and we managed with just the Outlander but as things have opened up and my wife can now drive comfortably I'm struggling to make a decision.

I was initially thinking 986/987/996 route but have quickly realised that with a 14 and 16 yr old plus the dogs I still need another relatively practical car ☹️
scotta

Post by scotta »

speedingfine wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:47 pm No one has said a 911 yet :shock:
I discounted that as the daily requirement. At £30k you're looking at 997 territory with 60-80k on it. Wouldn't want to be piling miles on one.
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

A 4 series will feel as big as your XF and is not as nice a drive.
XKs are more involving than 1/240i models and miles better than a 3/440i - I sold my F30 335i after 8 weeks as it was such a disappointment and bought the XFR that I should have got in the first place. There was a few months overlap with both the XFR and my 140i, so it’s easy to compare.
On adaptive suspension and 18” non-RFTs the 1/240i are fine on broken roads.
5.0 XKs are good all rounders, the 4.2 is too slow, but I’d be stretching the budget to a 5.0XKR.
Don’t buy a Scottish one, as it’ll be rusty underneath.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

scotta wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:40 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:28 pm I never saw the point of having two cars in the first place. Just get an M car and do everything well in one car.
Counts cars currently at house...errm...well...yeah...Im not really following that advice Rich sorry.
more those particular two cars. Boxster and XF, neither extreme enough to serve a purpose imo.
Beany

Post by Beany »

The correct answer is to blow £5k on a clean E46 330ci convertible and spend the rest of hookers and cocaine.

Fuck me, this place is slipping in it's standards.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

My M140i is on adaptive dampers and proper tyres and is spot on for lots of miles (72k in 32 months). It's also much more practical than people expect it to be.

I love it as an all rounder.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Yeh C or E 63 mit the 4.0 turbot would be the sensible choice.

AMG GT engine in a saloon bodyshell.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:14 pm
scotta wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:40 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:28 pm I never saw the point of having two cars in the first place. Just get an M car and do everything well in one car.
Counts cars currently at house...errm...well...yeah...Im not really following that advice Rich sorry.
more those particular two cars. Boxster and XF, neither extreme enough to serve a purpose imo.
Yeah, this was part of the reason for switching up, a little bit of crossover. In fairness, it happened organically, the Boxster being bought then not quite enough to be a daily, the XF coming in because I couldn’t bear something more boring.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Jimexpl wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:12 pm A 4 series will feel as big as your XF and is not as nice a drive.
XKs are more involving than 1/240i models and miles better than a 3/440i - I sold my F30 335i after 8 weeks as it was such a disappointment and bought the XFR that I should have got in the first place. There was a few months overlap with both the XFR and my 140i, so it’s easy to compare.
5.0 XKs are good all rounders, the 4.2 is too slow, but I’d be stretching the budget to a 5.0XKR.
There is a nice, well looked after 5.0 XK on autotrader for £14k right now and it is mighty tempting.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

If mileage isn't a factor, then deffo get something V8 flavoured considering we're heading for the electric avenue.

ISF is a good shout, but not cheap now (as with all things) and even the later models are 10 years old with typically dated Japenese interiors.
I'm not a fan of later Mercs at all; they've lost their edge looks wise even if the engines are still there....I'd be heading for an RS4 in all honesty.

Or you can prove your the manliest of all men and buy a VXR8 - and it's great you don't care if people question your sexual orientation
GG.

Post by GG. »

Explosive Newt wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:25 pm
Jimexpl wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:12 pm A 4 series will feel as big as your XF and is not as nice a drive.
There is a nice, well looked after 5.0 XK on autotrader for £14k right now and it is mighty tempting.
How is an XK more easily daily-able than the Boxster though - same number of seats, same (or less) storage space (unless you're talking about golf bats), worse fuel economy, etc.?
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

GG. wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:48 pm
Explosive Newt wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:25 pm
How is an XK more easily daily-able than the Boxster though - same number of seats, same (or less) storage space (unless you're talking about golf bats), worse fuel economy, etc.?
I should have been clearer: the daily driver factors are ability to munch up motorway and compliance over Oxford’s terrible road surfaces. Space isn’t really a problem.
mik

Post by mik »

I’d wager an Evora rides better than an XK…. :ugeek:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I'd buy a Range Rover :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

mik wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:15 pm I’d wager an Evora rides better than an XK…. :ugeek:
Not at £14k it won't!

I didn't realise that they'd come down that much. It's a special feeling car for £14k
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

A friend has a 2008 4.2 XK. I’ve only had short journeys in it so can’t comment on pace but I was surprised how unrefined it was. It was on 20”s, not sure how much difference that makes. The cabin was really small too.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Matty wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:41 pm If mileage isn't a factor, then deffo get something V8 flavoured considering we're heading for the electric avenue.

ISF is a good shout, but not cheap now (as with all things) and even the later models are 10 years old with typically dated Japenese interiors.
Interesting idea! The lowest mileage one available in the UK (I can only see 5 on autotrader) has 89k miles on it, a 2008 car.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search ... e-from=500
I'm not a fan of later Mercs at all; they've lost their edge looks wise even if the engines are still there....I'd be heading for an RS4 in all honesty.

Or you can prove your the manliest of all men and buy a VXR8 - and it's great you don't care if people question your sexual orientation
Few more of those going. I did think about one in the past, not sure what put me off. Hmm
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Explosive Newt wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:43 am
Matty wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:41 pm If mileage isn't a factor, then deffo get something V8 flavoured considering we're heading for the electric avenue.

Interesting idea! The lowest mileage one available in the UK (I can only see 5 on autotrader) has 89k miles on it, a 2008 car.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search ... e-from=500

Few more of those going. I did think about one in the past, not sure what put me off. Hmm
needs wheel spacers, badly!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Something with an NA V8 to get one while you can/ is new enough etc.

Dave!