New car buying advice type thread

Explosive Newt

Re: New car buying advice type thread

Post by Explosive Newt »

Rich B wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:44 pm The car choices in this thread have turned VERY dull. More like a upper middle management company car list than a car enthusiasts list.
Nah you’re right. I feel like I kind of did the enthusiast’s car thing with the Porsche and while I could put up with its foibles as an occasional driver now I’ll be driving to work every day rather than walking, I need something with a bit more comfort, with the idea of having a weekend car eventually. I’m always open to other ideas though.

So yeah… the budget expanded a bit. I’m still considering the one I posted in the Jobbo interior thread….
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I've been looking at £5k Boxsters. Am I nuts??

The MX5 will be getting some TLC then being garaged in the Autumn and the M140i is going back to the lease company in Sept so I'll be ready for something fun and reasonably cheap.

They've piqued my interest after watching the CarThrottle video from Porsche Reading.

What could go wrong?? 😂
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Very easy for a cheap boxster to be a very expensive one if you get it wrong. Get an inspection from someone they dont charge a fortune.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Someone crashed into me today and I suspect my existing XF is now a write off. So I think I’m going to jack it all in, buy a £10k golf diesel and save up for something else in 6 months time.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:23 pm Someone crashed into me today and I suspect my existing XF is now a write off. So I think I’m going to jack it all in, buy a £10k golf diesel and save up for something else in 6 months time.
eh? Surely getting rid of the XF only helps the path to a new car?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:23 pm Someone crashed into me today and I suspect my existing XF is now a write off. So I think I’m going to jack it all in, buy a £10k golf diesel and save up for something else in 6 months time.
Really? After all the issues at the dealer and now it's written off? More details!?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

:( :evil: You've not had much luck with it.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

WTF ? That car must be cursed.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Sounds like you need another porsche
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

McSwede wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:49 pm I've been looking at £5k Boxsters. Am I nuts??
Go for it.

A long time ago I bought a well maintained but tired looking 968 for £4k. The cheapest car I've ever ran.

Nothing went wrong, I looked after it well, spruced it up and sold it for a profit after a year and 15k miles.

I could've broke it and got the £4k back and I bet a Boxster at that money would be the same.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Fucking hell mate, are you ok?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

speedingfine wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:34 pm Fucking hell mate, are you ok?
Bones heal, chicks dig scars, etc, etc. :D

But seriously - this is a game changer in terms of the car shopping.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Thanks all for all the kind wishes - touch wood I'm fine and so is the other chap.

I was going across a 2-lane roundabout in the outside lane - continuing as if to go straight across but realised I should have taken the first exit so indicated right with the idea to go all the way round the roundabout and back to exit 1. The other driver (in inside lane of roundabout) hit the offside front of my car, I think assuming I was taking exit 3 (I was still indicating right). So not 100% clear cut but more his fault than mine, I think. Anyway, the offside front wheel has caved in with the wing and the bonnet is askew, along with the headlight and bumper looking stuffed.

Not exactly how I had planned to spend my afternoon but fortunately no one hurt. This is why we have insurance after all, and I keep my no claims protected etc. My guess is the car will get written off (insured for about £6k I think) but we'll wait and see.

My problem now is time, really. I'm in a temporary rental for the weekend and will have to return it on Monday, then they'll be in touch about a longer term rental. I've been spending this weekend moving house (now in the rental Corsa). This week and next I'm on the wards (so hard to get away) and next weekend I need to move some of my belongings up to my parents' house, then the weekend after we're going to Pembrokeshire on holiday. Will have to negotiate hire cars as well as new car shopping.

I'm also going off the idea of tying myself to a finance agreement to be honest. So I'd rather spend 10-15k on a not-so-old car that's going to be good at commuting for the next few months and look to change again in the new year when I've saved my pennies up.

It's funny, I had some kind of feeling the car was going to break down this weekend now I really needed it, although not like this!
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:13 am Thanks all for all the kind wishes - touch wood I'm fine and so is the other chap.

I was going across a 2-lane roundabout in the outside lane - continuing as if to go straight across but realised I should have taken the first exit so indicated right with the idea to go all the way round the roundabout and back to exit 1. The other driver (in inside lane of roundabout) hit the offside front of my car, I think assuming I was taking exit 3 (I was still indicating right). So not 100% clear cut but more his fault than mine, I think. Anyway, the offside front wheel has caved in with the wing and the bonnet is askew, along with the headlight and bumper looking stuffed.

Not exactly how I had planned to spend my afternoon but fortunately no one hurt. This is why we have insurance after all, and I keep my no claims protected etc. My guess is the car will get written off (insured for about £6k I think) but we'll wait and see.

My problem now is time, really. I'm in a temporary rental for the weekend and will have to return it on Monday, then they'll be in touch about a longer term rental. I've been spending this weekend moving house (now in the rental Corsa). This week and next I'm on the wards (so hard to get away) and next weekend I need to move some of my belongings up to my parents' house, then the weekend after we're going to Pembrokeshire on holiday. Will have to negotiate hire cars as well as new car shopping.

I'm also going off the idea of tying myself to a finance agreement to be honest. So I'd rather spend 10-15k on a not-so-old car that's going to be good at commuting for the next few months and look to change again in the new year when I've saved my pennies up.

It's funny, I had some kind of feeling the car was going to break down this weekend now I really needed it, although not like this!
I had a crash and wrote my car off a fortnight before getting married, it always comes when you need the car most! Glad to hear you’re ok though
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Mildly concerned it may be your fault if you're in the outside lane going right, but it depends on the road markings I guess? Time to think positive about the payout getting you a new car as SJ says.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I know where there's a lovely low mileage XFS you could have for less than your budget, 12 month warranty on it as well.......
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

speedingfine wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:59 am Mildly concerned it may be your fault if you're in the outside lane going right, but it depends on the road markings I guess? Time to think positive about the payout getting you a new car as SJ says.
If it is - worst case scenario is my insurance goes up I suppose, it’s not the end of the world.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:36 am
speedingfine wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:59 am Mildly concerned it may be your fault if you're in the outside lane going right, but it depends on the road markings I guess? Time to think positive about the payout getting you a new car as SJ says.
If it is - worst case scenario is my insurance goes up I suppose, it’s not the end of the world.
Absolutely mate, onward and upward 👌
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Pretty much any roundabout accident is settled 50/50 so it’ll doubtless count against you (partly at fault = at fault in the eyes of insurers).

Sorry to hear it. Don’t just get a diesel Golf though; they’re good cars, yes, but way overpriced. You could do a lot worse than a Merc CLS but frankly you’re not an old man yet so I won’t recommend one 😄
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Jobbo wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:53 pm Pretty much any roundabout accident is settled 50/50 so it’ll doubtless count against you (partly at fault = at fault in the eyes of insurers).

Sorry to hear it. Don’t just get a diesel Golf though; they’re good cars, yes, but way overpriced. You could do a lot worse than a Merc CLS but frankly you’re not an old man yet so I won’t recommend one 😄
There was an off duty copper who kindly stopped to render assistance who said exactly the same.

And if only you knew what an old man I am :lol: - just found a tidy 2014 Golf GTI for 15k which is a tempter.